Intel i9 7900X - First look for audio

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick write up and some benchmarks from myself.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/06/28 ... irst-look/

With the previous generation we even tended to advise going with the entry level 6800K for audio over the 6850K above it, which cost 50% more but offered very little of benefit in the performance stakes but did ramp up the number of available PCIe lanes, choosing instead to reserve this for anyone running multiple GPU’s in the system like users with heavy video editing requirements.
advise or advise against ? 'choosing instead' context reads like the latter?
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

sorry, went into proofreader mode. i'll shaddap before I gets worse.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

The longer I wait, the more budget I have. Why I've gone quiet re upgrading and it's looking good Pete. Just wait for the ironing out of any x299 bios updates and...well...ca-ching!

Here's a question: Which hosts will support all these new-fangled chips? That's a list I really want to see.

Still not sure why Intel didn't increase the PCI Lanes on these..
:borg:

whyterabbyt wrote:sorry, went into proofreader mode. i'll shaddap before I gets worse.
Hahah, don't worry about that, I had a few more pm's across various boards too. I thought I was more coherent than normal too, but I don't doubt for a moment that the could be room for improvement.

The phrasing I was after was one of choosing the 6850K instead, so you read the context right. But only if the user found themselves with the need too and they required multiple GPU's in the system. As that doesn't tend to be most audio users, it was to supposed to be the exception to the rule.

I'll see if I can make that clearer when I work through the assorted comments! :)

This is all pointless if you have a system latency. My old Ivy Bridge 2013 performs better than my new Kaby Lake on latency. So, for example, U-he Diva has clicks on the new computer but runs ok on the old.

Wow. :shock: I wonder if in the near future we'll see i9 versions that have, say: 32 cores? Or even 64? And wouldn't chips like that challenge the need for hardware DSP support in heavy-use commercial environments?

They already out perform dedicated cards as far as overall performance goes. Doesn't mean people won't still want to chuck more DSP in there anyway.

Astralv wrote:This is all pointless if you have a system latency. My old Ivy Bridge 2013 performs better than my new Kaby Lake on latency. So, for example, U-he Diva has clicks on the new computer but runs ok on the old.
Wait are you sure. Sorry i don't follow each thread is this really true? Is it confirmed by Urs or something ?

I am finding it hard to believe processor family have anything with software synth click or something like that. If that truly is the case here then i am gonna say OMG..

Astralv wrote:This is all pointless if you have a system latency. My old Ivy Bridge 2013 performs better than my new Kaby Lake on latency. So, for example, U-he Diva has clicks on the new computer but runs ok on the old.
Have you tested all variables involved? If so, is there a reason for not posting your (detailed) findings here?
If not, your post is pointless for everybody here reading it, including yourself.

Clicks on audio is likely due to something like DPC latency spikes due to some driver - eg on a laptop motherboard - rather than the CPU architecture. There are tools for tracking any DPC latency problems.

Also - audio drives on ports that are not the fastest onboard ports (eg on extra cards for example) can cause these issues.

egbert wrote:Clicks on audio is likely due to something like DPC latency spikes due to some driver - eg on a laptop motherboard - rather than the CPU architecture. There are tools for tracking any DPC latency problems.

Also - audio drives on ports that are not the fastest onboard ports (eg on extra cards for example) can cause these issues.
I second the notion that clicks are most likely caused by DPC latency as I had to go through it myself late last year. DPC was so high on my freshly built Broadwell-E based system that it not only couldn't be used for any audio production work, but it wouldn't even play any kind of audio/video files without clicks, crackles, and complete break ups.

I've spent at least a week looking for and trying out various methods to resolve the issue, but had no luck. DPC was caused by driver conflicts with multiple motherboard components: onboard AsMedia Usb 3.0 controller, Intel's onboard network controllers, Nvidia driver was a huge contributor as well. I initially went with MSI motherboard and thought maybe that was the culprit, so I still had hope at that point. However, switching to ASUS board did not improve latency at all. That was overly frustrating to say the least. I've also tried different versions of OS: Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10. After that I just gave up.

Luckily, ASUS motherboard I replaced MSI one with was hackintosh compatible, so I decided to go that route out of curiosity. Couple days later I ended with a glitch free system running Sierra. Being a Windows user for so many years it was pretty disappointing to see firsthand how a system would be worthless(for my purposes) when running Win, and how exact same system is so efficient and hassle-free running OS X. :shrug:

Late_Bloomer wrote:
egbert wrote:Clicks on audio is likely due to something like DPC latency spikes due to some driver - eg on a laptop motherboard - rather than the CPU architecture. There are tools for tracking any DPC latency problems.

I second the notion that clicks are most likely caused by DPC latency as I had to go through it myself late last year. DPC was so high on my freshly built Broadwell-E based system that it not only couldn't be used for any audio production work, but it wouldn't even play any kind of audio/video files without clicks, crackles, and complete break ups.

I've spent at least a week looking for and trying out various methods to resolve the issue, but had no luck. DPC was caused by driver conflicts with multiple motherboard components: onboard AsMedia Usb 3.0 controller, Intel's onboard network controllers, Nvidia driver was a huge contributor as well. I initially went with MSI motherboard and thought maybe that was the culprit, so I still had hope at that point. However, switching to ASUS board did not improve latency at all. That was overly frustrating to say the least. I've also tried different versions of OS: Win 7, Win 8 and Win 10. After that I just gave up.

Luckily, ASUS motherboard I replaced MSI one with was hackintosh compatible, so I decided to go that route out of curiosity. Couple days later I ended with a glitch free system running Sierra. Being a Windows user for so many years it was pretty disappointing to see firsthand how a system would be worthless(for my purposes) when running Win, and how exact same system is so efficient and hassle-free running OS X. :shrug:
Then you've addressed your own issue. Sounds like a driver not configured in Windows.
Last edited by MFXxx on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”