Roli Seaboard RISE

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9iiY6x ... e=youtu.be

:)

its actually terrible with SM brass, unless you don't play any legato, or halfsteps.

but still fun none the less... but SWAM makes it a dream come true

incubus wrote:Now THAT, I like to hear. Gives me more hope :)
It's a fantastic piece of kit.

I hope my posts above don't deter anyone from getting one, as I can't recommend the seaboard enough.

It's shouldn't because I think it's very important (despite contrary/popular opinion) to get all that dirty laundry out.

Then it's up to the person of interest to filter that out and make their own decision. Rarely to people bitch just to bitch, I know I'm wacky crazy, but I don't think so :hihi:

Thanks for your input :)

dezai (2) wrote:

I hope my posts above don't deter anyone from getting one, as I can't recommend the seaboard enough.
I find your lack of faith, disturbing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

dezai (2) wrote:Just an update: I got everything squared away and the Seaboard 49 I have works perfectly. The Roli customer service I had was excellent.

I really am in love with seaboard/equator combo--It's so organic and there is a direct, natural physical connection to the sound, something I've never gotten elsewhere in synthland. An easy 10/10 from me.
dezai, how did you get it resolved?

bg wrote:
dezai (2) wrote: dezai, how did you get it resolved?
It was user error when setting up a non-MPE-compatible synth in a not-fully-MPE-compatible host. :(

zerocrossing wrote:
dezai (2) wrote:

I find your lack of faith, disturbing.
Boo hiss.........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkXSh7EHkpk

Just spotted this on sonicstate: Seaboard Block. 2 octaves for $299. Buy two (or ten) and link em up like regular blocks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SCug5kUsBs

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/2017/06/ ... ard-block/
Image Image Image Image

It's still $300! Is it more reliable and equally expressive compared to the larger versions?
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

That's less than half the price of a RISE 25.

I'm not overly familiar with the Seaboards but it lacks the controls on the left of the regular RISE. I guess you might be able to replicate that with a block (*purchase seperately. **batteries not included).
Image Image Image Image

sprnva wrote:That's less than half the price of a RISE 25.

I'm not overly familiar with the Seaboards but it lacks the controls on the left of the regular RISE. I guess you might be able to replicate that with a block (*purchase seperately. **batteries not included).
But just Equator Player and no Strobe 2?

It seems like the avatar RoliTeam has dodged to comment since at least page 8. Seems like there are too many irks, quirks and bugs, to be sorted out, and is no good for them to be around here answering this or that.

I am on my third warranty Seaboard Rise 49 by now, intially bought end of September 2016. Pretty steep costs. Almost all of the bugs reported here, have I had too, while some fixed, some new irks, were introduced that didn't occur before. I demoed, and got a full demonstration of it in store before I made the plunge, paid full price brand new for it (Sweden that is). I am one of the few persons running both on Win10 PC and MacBook Pro OSX. Soundcard is still after all these years a FireWire RME one on both instances. Here's the complete list of problems I had/still has, and some of you had it too. And some of it are really in design, and not really a hardware bug or software bug:

1. Bluetooth over MIDI still sucks, big time, regardless of Mac/soundcard/firmware or software for ROLI. Drops out after 5-10 seconds. When it does work during those 5-10 seconds, 30ms latency over bluetooth. So bluetooth is not a good option for connection, as someone else already said. It happens when I use the aftertouch events or pitchbend (mainly this). Also the latency is unusable. Useless. The thing is, that this was almost the deal maker for me, other people doesn't use it at all.

2. Top 2 octaves gets lost sometimes for no apparent reason. Happened 5-7 times in 3 months. Still on my 2nd machine received (swapped out). Only reinstalling firmware again, fixed this. Sometimes turning it off and resetting parameters fixes this temporarily. Not at any one single time has it gone away for good.

3. Inconsistent velocity response between certain select keys that is different from all others. The Seaboard works in a way that the differences between the velocity response of different keys and different areas within the same key are very noticeable. It is impossible to get strong velocity when hitting that specific spot. When sliding up and down the key with firm, steady pressure, the response dips when travelling over that particular area and any parameter modulated by that y-axis movement does not change smoothly. The pull instead of push mentioned earlier doesn't really help this.

4. It seems every particular Seaboard specimen, has it´s own strange life. I had/have a few problems with the sliders when I have opened the Dashboard (or Equator) or active in the background. When I close it the problems are gone.

5. While working somewhat reasonably within Equator and as a Standalone app, inside different DAWS it behaves oddly in velocitites that is different from all their external software, that runs in standalone mode.

6. Built in white key quantization is preevalent on the white keys only and not the black key. A design and not a bug. Numerous mentions of this already in this thread. Design or bug?

7. Not multitimbral but that is a design that was expected. What about a bug like this... that all of a sudden this worked? :wink:

8. Sliders. When I turn them off and switch from the expressive mode to the midi learn they go back to a default setting. Only when I do it again it works. When I'll turn the slide, glide and aftertouch off, switch to the midi cc mode of the sliders and back, the values are not at zero anymore. I need to move them 2-3 times until they stay at zero. Even when the single led light is at the middle - which means it should be at zero - it isn´t. When I switch now force and back between the mode the value is near zero and i still have aftertouch, slides and glide events. Peculiar. Strange. This bug is mostly on Win10 and not OSX. For me.

9. When i move my finger very slowly from one note to another i clearly can hear a jump rather than a smooth pitch. I also can hear it with faster long glides. Even with 100% on it´s not possible to made slow smooth slides because there is always a stepping between notes. Design or bug? Couldn't care less, it's more than a bit annoying.

10. You can´t do such fast modulations on the keywaves, make diagonal slides (X, Y) and change your pressure Z at the same time. The XY pad and sliders on the Seaboard are also not responsive enough for my tastes. That may very well be a design thing and not bug though. Live with it. It doesn't say anywhere that it should.

11. There is a buggy overlap in between keywave D# and E when playing higher velocity on mine too! THe first one I got, so the second one! So means when i press the D# , but only on the right side of the surface, and push it down it often jumps to E. I have done all things and updated everything but it´s like a damaged key. Most definitely a hardware bug. Still on my THIRD Seaboard Rise 49 this is present!! :evil:

12. Some things that are buggy in software on Windows 10 isn't buggy in OS X. A lot of things. Neither the bugs nor traits/feautures behaves the same in either environment/platform.

I turned in my THIRD Seaboard now for updates, of course after a long mail conversation with support from Roli. They've confirmed that it needs to be changed out. However, I waited 2 months for my other one (the second), and now it's been one and a half month for changing out the third. I e since September, it's 9-10 month, a 3 1/2 month I've been without any Seaboard due to warranty repair, and long lead times on their part. They confessed to have had a bad batch once, last autumn but still.

Wouldn't surprise me if they do the same as they did on the "playing out of tune" feautre of the GRAND. When updating the firmware they removed the feature instead of having it fixed. I e the MIDI over Bluetooth they remove completely, and say it's not a feature anymore instead of fixing the bug. Just as esoteric that one was, many people thinks it's worthwhile, and don't think twice about Midi over bluetooth working or not, but for me that is JUST as important as anything else. It would be fun to hear in this thread, if anyone else have tried to plug any other controller on the Midi over Bluetooth on any other software or hardware synth or not.

Being without it for a second time, on my third hardware seems to me, a bit too much for even an early adopter. I have no complaints about the mail support, they do talk the talk, but how about walking the walk. It ususally ends up after a month of mail conversation, that they provide me with numbers and labels to send it in, and get a new replacement and thinks - automatically and by default - everything would be fixed with a new hardware.

Beats me!

Needless to say, once I get this new (3rd) one back it will up for sale in Sweden. There's always someone else out there that doesn't care that much as I do, about MIDI over Bluetooth, and other irks and quirks. I'll have no time to detect new things, and make this one go back too. Wasting my time.

sprnva wrote:That's less than half the price of a RISE 25.
It's also less than half the keyboard :lol:

I just bought one today. Over here the street price is around Au$1100 but a few shops have been advertising them for Au$1010 and today, one of those shops had an eBay deal offering another $150 off, so I got one for $855, which is about US$660. I have to wait on delivery but I should have it by the middle of next week. I am extremely excited, this is the most money I've spent on music in decades but, playing around with it in a shop had me hooked in a just a few minutes.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:I just bought one today. Over here the street price is around Au$1100 but a few shops have been advertising them for Au$1010 and today, one of those shops had an eBay deal offering another $150 off, so I got one for $855, which is about US$660. I have to wait on delivery but I should have it by the middle of next week. I am extremely excited, this is the most money I've spent on music in decades but, playing around with it in a shop had me hooked in a just a few minutes.
Yeah, the AUD price has been prohibitive for me, but I'm looking at just getting the Blocks version now, so price shouldn't be so scary...hopefully.
If I'd had the funds I may have gone with the 15% off the Rise25 (was that Store DJ on eBay?)

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”