Automation: advised I hold off on V11 upgrade?

Official support for: meldaproduction.com
RELATED
PRODUCTS

alexis1 wrote:
MeldaProduction wrote:...
alexis1: I'm a little lost, could you explain again?
Sorry. I'm asking - is the kind of automation change I described (I put it in quotes) the kind that is handled differently in V11?

Thanks -
It's the same mechanism (the parameter names and index numbers have changed). Here it is in v11: http://i.imgur.com/pt9BCao.gif

In v10: #0040: 'On' EqualizerBand4-Enable4
In v11: #0104: 'On' EQ 4 - Enable 4
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Apart from multiparams I can't seem to find a way to map these to my controller in any way that is consistent between presets. How are people doing this?

aMUSEd wrote:Apart from multiparams I can't seem to find a way to map these to my controller in any way that is consistent between presets. How are people doing this?
You can't really map the easy screen to the controller as the parameters will keep changing as you move through presets. If you want permanent fixed parameters just map the edit screen instead.
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

I realise that, and yet it's the easy screen that is meant to be designed for 'ease' of use and that has the nice focussed selection of macros that affect the sound, the edit screen has too much. There must be a way to make this work, in some plugins 'easy edit' or macro controls may change but still have the same underlying 'logic' of param ordering.

We'll the globals are always the same. But it's just impossible to make all the controls the same in every preset as they can be very different.
It works in my controller anyway, the controller detects the parameter name and updates it. Can you do that with your controller?
Melda Production & United Plugins
Surface Studio = i7, 32gb, SSD.
Windows 11. Bitwig, Reaper, Live. MTotal.
Audiofuse, Adam Audio monitors + sub, iLoud MTM.
Polybrute, Summit, Pro 3, Tempest, Syntakt, AH2.
Ableton Push 2, Roli Seaboard Block.

As jmg8 said and from what I can see, the Easy screen controls (and therefore their underlying Multiparameters (MPs), are consistent, especially in the more recent plug-ins. There are a few points to bear in mind:
(a) the controller (DAW host) references the automatable parameters by index number (i.e. position in the parameter list) rather than by name (is that true for all DAWs?)
(b) the DAW hosts uses a value in the range 0...1 to automate the parameter; if the parameter's range is different for different presets then the parameter value will be different. For example: MReverb / Size
in 'Basic' the range is 1.1m to 10m, in 'Chamber' it is 2.0m to 20m, in 'Hallway' it is 5.0m to 50m.
(c) some Active Presets have very different controls

PS Did you know that you can open the Multiparameter windows from the Easy screen by Ctrl_Alt_clicking the Easy Screen control? (A v11 innovation)
DarkStar, ... Interesting, if true
Inspired by ...

Hi All,

Ran into my first problem with this today opening a project that was automating MWaveShaper.

Since MWaveShaper does not have any multiparameters it seems my only option is to use compatibility mode is that correct?

Also, is there a specific technical reason why it has to be a global setting? In cases like this where there seems to be no alternative but to use compatibility to get the same outcome it would be better if we could set it per plugin no? That way we could use new features where possible and compatibility mode for old plugins where the new system does not provide the same functionality.

That said, I guess I can just stick with compatibility mode for everything since I can’t say I ever noticed any problems with it in Reaper in the past :)

Cheers,

provoc

Ha! It doesn't have any multiparameters! Interesting! :D The excuse may be that it is free :D. Anyways there's quite no problem with automation compatibility mode, if you don't experience any problems. Anyways I'll check if there are other plugins that don't have any multiparameters and potentially add them, we'll see.
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

Well technically not free for us paid upgrade users :P I guess they could just be an upgrade feature .. and if you are feeling generous maybe some modulators too :hihi:

But seriously, the MFreeEffectsBundle upgrade is definitely the best value out there so I am happy with it as it is :tu:

DarkStar wrote:
alexis1 wrote:
MeldaProduction wrote:...
alexis1: I'm a little lost, could you explain again?
Sorry. I'm asking - is the kind of automation change I described (I put it in quotes) the kind that is handled differently in V11?

Thanks -
It's the same mechanism (the parameter names and index numbers have changed). Here it is in v11: http://i.imgur.com/pt9BCao.gif

In v10: #0040: 'On' EqualizerBand4-Enable4
In v11: #0104: 'On' EQ 4 - Enable 4
Thank you for the helpful..gif, DarkStar (sorry for the delay in responding)!

That does look reassuringly familiar, showing changes from the previous version's automation to be virtually transparent.

Thanks much!

Just a friendly bump about multiparams since I ran into lack of multparams again this morning, this time with MUtility. I had a project I wanted to replace Voxengo Sound Delay (always trying to get one less plugin in the plugin folder :hyper: ) but couldn’t get the range I wanted because reaper only does linear param modulation and the MUtility delay param is log (I think). Pretty sure a multiparam would have done the trick here :)

Hmmm, I'm afraid it probably just won't happen. Too much madness with keeping the backwards compatibility. And it's free! :D You can do that in MXXX, but well that's a bit of an overkill...
Vojtech
MeldaProduction MSoundFactory MDrummer MCompleteBundle The best plugins in the world :D

MeldaProduction wrote:Hmmm, I'm afraid it probably just won't happen. Too much madness with keeping the backwards compatibility. And it's free! :D You can do that in MXXX, but well that's a bit of an overkill...
Ah ok, hadn't thought about compatibility .. thanks for reply anyway :)

Return to “MeldaProduction”