One more plugin - avoid this mistake!

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Every one falls in the plugins abys.
when it comes to instruments plugins-vst, I'll always keep looking and adding if needed.
But effects plugins...i'm pretty much comfy whit what I have (and yes I have a bit more then I actualy use as often of those :hihi: )

But basically yeah. Keep finding new inspirations with new instruments and getting the job done with my selection of effects plugins.

Uh, you mean you all get into this trouble buying them?

My procrast-o-hobby is endless searching for the latest freeware (and loss-leader introductory holiday whatever giveaway) plug-ins and then fiddle-farting with them endlessly. If I started spending money on them, they would have to come and take me away.

I peruse KVR, Bedroom Producers Blog, Plugin Alliance, etc. at least daily to see what may be lurking.

Waves in particular have blessed me with such great but ill-documented and preset-challenged tools as TrueVerb and SuperTap Delay for free the past two holiday seasons. Both were welcomed to my VSTPlugins folders with glee where they both now sit waiting for me to have a few free weeks off to figure out how to harness the amazing amount of "power" hiding behind their fabulously complicated UI's.

How about 2 dozen useful presets to get us started, Waves? What's that? Nobody there could figure them out either and that's why you can only sell them in bundles or give them away? Oh dear.

Eventide gave me UltraChannel a few years ago. It's got a whole buncha stuff all in one that I haven't entirely figured out how to use yet because I downloaded other stuff.

Gimme Voxengo, Meldaproduction, brainworx, GVST, TAL, Variety of Sound, BlueCat, mda, Noisebud, TDR, and then grab a copy of Computer Music and there are like 5 dozen magware ones that come with that, and I swear I won't have to play or record a note of music for weeks, all for mere pennies. Stretch it out even longer if you go in search of YouTube videos on how to mix and master with free plug-ins. Clever folks on there with interesting accents.

FortunOfficial wrote:One of the most effective strategies for me was to use the Reason DAW. I am not using it anymore, but I often look back with the thinking in mind: "oh man, I was so productive at that time". I simply did not care about any synth coming out.
My most productive time was when I had a Roland TR505 and a Korg Poly800 with no outboard effects of my own whatsoever - and a cassette deck. I used one of my dads guitar amps for a spring reverb and I just recorded all the time. Sometimes I would bounce between two cassette decks to get more tracks in the composition. Now I test new plugins.. lol
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

Mainly a guitar player here that has way too many pedals, amps, and guitars. I had always wanted a drum set and bought that a few years back. I wanted to start recording music and bought way too many mics to record live drums, then got frustrated that I'm not a good drummer and ended up getting Steven slate drums which has helped my productivity. Recently fell into the synth craze when I found out about synthwave/Retrowave music and have been buying a few synths here and there (Roland boutique ju-06 and everything else is software). I've been eyeing the new Novation peak or the behringer deep mind. Smh

It's definitely a deep rabbit hole!

Many vst synths r like to have many girlfriends - basically you gonna do the same things with all of them so better keep 2-3 that fit better than rest and experiment more :):):)If you need cheap solution i develop this: https://vellislav.wixsite.com/vellislav
Last edited by VELLISLAV on Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

I'm glad I found this thread, I'm very much the same. If only I spent half as much time working on music as I do finding and downloading free plugins and instruments...

I have gone through my share of GAS in the guitar realm as well, only to conclude the hunt for THAT sound with forgoing electric guitar altogether and settling for a really nice acoustic that just "feels" right. Recently though I've gotten more and more into making electronic music (and finally learning the piano along the way), and I would love to skip the decade long hunt for an instrument that suits my taste. Which is why I am really tempted to make Reaktor my very first synth purchase :hihi: ... seems like a reasonable choice to have an environment in which i can try a million things, learn a lot and then settle on something. The theory seems sound, hope it works out that way :hyper:

paradisebunny wrote:I have gone through my share of GAS in the guitar realm as well, only to conclude the hunt for THAT sound with forgoing electric guitar altogether and settling for a really nice acoustic that just "feels" right. Recently though I've gotten more and more into making electronic music (and finally learning the piano along the way), and I would love to skip the decade long hunt for an instrument that suits my taste. Which is why I am really tempted to make Reaktor my very first synth purchase :hihi: ... seems like a reasonable choice to have an environment in which i can try a million things, learn a lot and then settle on something. The theory seems sound, hope it works out that way :hyper:
I often am completely absorbed in GAS for a new guitar pedal, hardware unit be it rack or synth, a new plugin or anything, and then when I finally have it in my possession, I start using something else I have bought earlier. It seems like I have to have it lying around for a month before I start using it. Like Reaktor 6 and Ozone 7. Often I see prizes drop further before I have gotten around to using what I buy.

But now that I have set up my bedroom studio I will start delving further into my possessionssss...sss

I barely buy any plugins (maybe 3-4 total), but still overloaded with the plugin testing routine because there is so much good free stuff around. Always like ten more to try. And like that's not enough, I'm making my own plugins, to never use them once they're done, because there is too much other interesting stuff to try.

Miss the times when I only had a tracker with an old home computer (not PC), or Music for the first PlayStation, or a MIDI sequencer with AWE32 on PC without internet. These has been much more productive times.

I told my wife about my GAS (feeling a bit guilty of being a weak character) and guess what she said? She compared my GAS with her addiction to buying clothes and shoes...
Hey, we're a real fitting couple!

I would advise ignoring well-promoted products like present-day waves, fabfilter, ozone, etc because they hide certain improtant things. For example let's take eqs. If you drop a point to make a bell-curve the neighboring areas arise on the line but those well-promoted products don't show it though this thing happens nevetherless. That's why you will get distotions even without knowing the reason. Therefore you should use honest plugins like for example electri-q which show the truth as it is. If they consume more cpu power it does not mean they were programmed worse. It may mean they use better processing algos than those well-promoted products. There are no wonders and speed is often gained at the expense of quality.
samplitude is the best daw for me. To have studio like sound before asking questions on any audio forums in the internet please read the book by alex unlocking fx creative potential

Trueverb comes with...21 presets installed. You can get more http://www.waves.com/downloads/free-plugin-presets
Starship Krupa wrote:Uh, you mean you all get into this trouble buying them?

Waves in particular have blessed me with such great but ill-documented and preset-challenged tools as TrueVerb and SuperTap Delay for free the past two holiday seasons. Both were welcomed to my VSTPlugins folders with glee where they both now sit waiting for me to have a few free weeks off to figure out how to harness the amazing amount of "power" hiding behind their fabulously complicated UI's.

How about 2 dozen useful presets to get us started, Waves? What's that? Nobody there could figure them out either and that's why you can only sell them in bundles or give them away? Oh dear.
"What embecile composed this list :/"

I am so happy that I hoarded so many awesome plugins at such awesome discounts over the years. I made a decent living, bought a bunch of no brainers, "on sale for 1 day only" type deals. I have had plugins that I have barely used/scratched the surface for several years.

Now that I don't have a job and spent a shit load on a divorce, I don't have much money to spend at all on plugins. I am guaranteed months/years of fun playing with all the stuff that I already have but barely learned/used previously. I am actually happy that I got so much stuff when I could afford it. I didn't know it at the time but I was investing in my broke ass future. Lol. I will get a job again for sure, but in the meantime I have lots of great toys to play with without having to spend money. I even started selling a few things to be able to buy other (cheap) things. It's working out.
Play it by ear

All this collecting and curating is awfully familiar.

I know another guitarist in my area, who must own at least 50k worth of guitars, amps, pedals and other guitar-y doodads.

His stuff is like a shrine to the God of Gas

He doesn't do the daw thing, just collects guitars that he never plays.

However, its taken me forever to realize that I just need a strat, a Paul, a good Marshall, a twin, and a good rack reverb.
Prestissimo in Moto Perpetuo

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”