Late-90s pop bass patch/synth?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for the deep, growly bass sound used in many late-90s pop records, it had a good portamento on it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjIsGTRY7Ek (a couple of minutes in)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YriinrRGug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruAi4VBoBSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY6po9KucNg

Spectrasonics omnisphere there you will find it and that it sounds right in mix to which is important they also have expansion sound if I do not remember wrong.

walker1 wrote:Spectrasonics omnisphere there you will find it and that it sounds right in mix to which is important they also have expansion sound if I do not remember wrong.
Thanks, do you have a rough idea of the patch name in omnisphere?

Thought I heard that bass in some cakewalk synths. Like I'm damn sure dimension pro has those exact sounds. Whatever its not hard to make like some dirty triangle bass to get that vibe. A little waveshaping goes a long way man.

walker1 wrote:Spectrasonics omnisphere there you will find it and that it sounds right in mix to which is important they also have expansion sound if I do not remember wrong.
yeah get omnibloat for that one bass sound, and a billion other sounds you will never use.
or you can use just about
any VA with a long filter decay.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

elvisish wrote:
Thanks, do you have a rough idea of the patch name in omnisphere?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

I couldn't face listening to the Spice Grills or Junior Ant & Dec tracks, but I'm pretty sure the other two are from actual bass guitars – though possibly sampled off records in both cases. Almost all of Praise You is constructed from samples taken from famous(ish) tracks and Lemon Jelly were all big samplists. You can do that kind of bass sound with a synth but the original was probably something like a Fender Jazz bass played through an amp/cabinet.

"Finger Bass" on most sample-and-synthesis modules (such as the Korg M1 plugin) fed into an amp/cabinet simulator will get into the ballpark pretty quickly.

Gamma-UT wrote:I couldn't face listening to the Spice Grills or Junior Ant & Dec tracks, but I'm pretty sure the other two are from actual bass guitars – though possibly sampled off records in both cases. Almost all of Praise You is constructed from samples taken from famous(ish) tracks and Lemon Jelly were all big samplists. You can do that kind of bass sound with a synth but the original was probably something like a Fender Jazz bass played through an amp/cabinet.

"Finger Bass" on most sample-and-synthesis modules (such as the Korg M1 plugin) fed into an amp/cabinet simulator will get into the ballpark pretty quickly.
Actually, fatboy programmed the bass as you can see on the boss making of video on YouTube, but the patch he uses on the video is totally different (he even discusses programming it) and I spoke with Nick franglen a few years ago who confirmed it was a synth but couldn't remember what was used to make it.

layzer wrote:
yeah get omnibloat for that one bass sound, and a billion other sounds you will never use.
or you can use just about
any VA with a long filter decay.
IKR, I just need to get into the ballpark, a really good growl, natural portamento and good balanced timber at every note. Real bass sample libraries are too hollow and never sound as artificially full as these synth basses do.

EMU Proteus is free, dates from the 90's, and has several very similar bass presets (Home Bass, Street Bass, Fretless 1, 2, 3, Dope 1 are very very similar, and EP Bass if you can mute the attack layers). But it's 32 bit only as far as I know. JBridge fails to run it correctly on my machine.

If you can't run Proteus, search for anything named EP bass or E-bass on any synth, they will sound very close. You're basically looking for a synthetic bass.

If you have Rapture, "Synthetic Fretless" is kinda close (not the same at all, but will take you closer).

If you have Z3ta2, there are "Disco1" and "Disco2" that will do the trick.

There is also a very similar preset in the freeware Crystal that sounds great ! I have sampled it under the name "house bassline" but can't be sure it's the correct preset name. I'm going to check it out and edit my post then. -> OK its name is "many more times", seems very usable for what you're looking for. Don't know if Crystal can do portamento though, sorry.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote:EMU Proteus is free, dates from the 90's, and has several very similar bass presets (Home Bass, Street Bass, Fretless 1, 2, 3, Dope 1 are very very similar, and EP Bass if you can mute the attack layers). But it's 32 bit only as far as I know. JBridge fails to run it correctly on my machine.

If you can't run Proteus, search for anything named EP bass or E-bass on any synth, they will sound very close. You're basically looking for a synthetic bass.

If you have Rapture, "Synthetic Fretless" is kinda close (not the same at all, but will take you closer).

If you have Z3ta2, there are "Disco1" and "Disco2" that will do the trick.

There is also a very similar preset in the freeware Crystal that sounds great ! I have sampled it under the name "house bassline" but can't be sure it's the correct preset name. I'm going to check it out and edit my post then. -> OK its name is "many more times", seems very usable for what you're looking for. Don't know if Crystal can do portamento though, sorry.
Thanks so much for your help!! I've got a soundfont that seems to be home bass and I've found a few others with the same names as you've mentioned, also getting Crystal (wow, haven't used that since 2002!!) so I'll check that patch out too. So far, the homebass sound is really close, and once I've got a soundfont player with glide, I should have everything set! Thanks again for the suggestions, I can also try z3ta2 and others until I find just the right sound.

No problem, I've been collecting (notably) bass presets that sound like this one to get that "Alan Braxe - Intro"/"Laurent Wolf - Saxo" (you can properly sample a long clean note at 4'00 in the Club Mix of this song if you heavy low pass, which is not a problem at all for this patch) bass sound. By the way, for some reason everybody says this bass sounds like Daft Punk ("Around the World" maybe ?).

I've plenty of other suggestions to get this bass sound, including Avenger and Zebra2 solutions, but since they are expensive synths and that these solutions require expansions purchases, I haven't considered these ideas as priorities.

I also know several 32 bit freeware synth that have a similar sounding preset, if you have JBridge...

Let me know if you still can't find the sound you're looking for and I will list the secondary possibilities. ;)

IMHO the very best solution may be the Home Bass, it's the best sounding ever for this, it's the one I use for house basslines. You could also get great results with resynthesis using the Laurent Wolf Saxo bass sample that plays alone in the break, with synths such as IL Harmor, Tone2 Icarus or the great Form from NI if you have one of them.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote:No problem, I've been collecting (notably) bass presets that sound like this one to get that "Alan Braxe - Intro"/"Laurent Wolf - Saxo" (you can properly sample a long clean note at 4'00 in the Club Mix of this song if you heavy low pass, which is not a problem at all for this patch) bass sound. By the way, for some reason everybody says this bass sounds like Daft Punk ("Around the World" maybe ?).

I've plenty of other suggestions to get this bass sound, including Avenger and Zebra2 solutions, but since they are expensive synths and that these solutions require expansions purchases, I haven't considered these ideas as priorities.

I also know several 32 bit freeware synth that have a similar sounding preset, if you have JBridge...

Let me know if you still can't find the sound you're looking for and I will list the secondary possibilities. ;)

IMHO the very best solution may be the Home Bass, it's the best sounding ever for this, it's the one I use for house basslines. You could also get great results with resynthesis using the Laurent Wolf Saxo bass sample that plays alone in the break, with synths such as IL Harmor, Tone2 Icarus or the great Form from NI if you have one of them.
Thanks for the extra suggestions! It reminds me a bit of the Juno/Sh101 bass sounds, very nice. I've got the home bass loaded into kontakt and i'm using the portamento/unison to glide it a bit, tho it would be nice to use a soundfont player with portamento glide without retrigger (no attack during glide). Recommend any good soundfont players for this purpose?

Using redux, works great!

Return to “Instruments”