14%
Linux
2%
Other
1%

Total votes: 258

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Win7x64. It just works and my PCI Audiophile2496 works with it. On this hardware I'm gonna go until it dies, then Win10 on new 10-12core machine.

This Z97 machine is so stable, I've ran everything, even with Ableton in the background. No crashes, no stalls. Just runs.
1st boot was after 220 days of uptime. Lovely.

Having used OSX with Logic and Live, I dont think I'm gonna ever endure that kind of torture of an OS in use personally.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

macOS 10.12 for the foreseeable future. The 10.13 beta breaks too much stuff for me (KLC standalones, Logic 9, Mainstage 2 etc).
Image Image Image Image

I'm using all of them and there is no option to choose multiple OSes. Yes, I'm using XP, 7 and OS-X 10.9 for music and Linux for the Internet. I think that's the far most sensible option in this day and age.

I like to feel safe and sound when browsing the Internet, and I hate terrible and CPU tasking AV programs. Since I use a lot of old, but still great hardware, I have to use XP [SCSI...] and I have to use Windows 7 x64 for some newer VSTs. I have to have OS-X 10.9, too, as a bunch of my clients transitioned to it since they hate Windows 8 and 10. I don't blame them for that at all. 8 and 10 is a complete crap. Nothing new in them is useful for us musicians and producers.

I like to use Windows because it is most efficient with VSTs, but I see absolutely no reason to install anything newer than 7 because XP and 7 feel more snappy and are more efficient with running more plugins at low latency. I'm hoping that Linux will get even more VST support in the mean time. For me Microsoft is finished and I don't like Apple, too. Linux is the way to go.

No OS that all the people on Earth use should be proprietary and controlled by one company. That's just not the way it should be. An OS everybody uses should be free and made by people from all over the world.

Have a nice day! :)
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

I have downgraded from win10 to 8.1 because of the start menu bug (sometimes it just won't work and stay that way and you wont be able to fix it without a reinstall), and after a recent update I have seen the same bug in win 8 too. There was a difference though, with win8 restarting the explorer process fixes it.
I guess win7 would even be a better choice since it doesn't have that tablet in a desktop subsystem, the cause of every silly and annoying windoze feature/bug I have recently seen.
~stratum~

I've had that start menu bug here on my Windows machine since updating to the latest version of 10. Sometimes if I wait it will recover, other times it won't.

Ending the Windows Shell Experience Host task from Task Manager fixes it for me. It will respawn and the start menu will work again.
Image Image Image Image

Currently running latest version of Manjaro i3 and it's running nicely with Reaper.
Never expected to see a Linux version of Reaper but wow. It's rock stable and i can run vsts via Linvst.
Unfortunately commercial plugins aren't supported.
Tried Serum and Falcon but they don't seem to be working. Maybe because i just copy pasted those dll files. Didn't install it using an installer. Need to spend more time with it.

Get your copy of Manjaro! :D

https://sourceforge.net/projects/manjar ... rce=navbar
SoundCloud
"I believe every music producer inherently has something unique about the way they make music. They just have to identify what makes them different, and develop it" - Max Martin

I have not run into or ever heard of this "start window bug"

Of course, now that I have, it will plague me :lol:

:D

incubus wrote:I have not run into or ever heard of this "start window bug"
If it is what i think it is, like, when you click on an element in the task bar, be it the start menu, or the network, sound, or notification icon, and nothing happens, speak, the menus won't pop up, then i had that a few times with the earlier versions of Win 10. Haven't had it for quite a while now. But, it was, or is, definitely a known issue.

Manjaro her too. We are the three percent. Wow. It's really happening.

urlwolf wrote:Manjaro her too. We are the three percent. Wow. It's really happening.
I'm so glad to hear that. :D The more people use some of the main Linux distros for audio, the more plugins we will get. :tu:

I would recommend checking out Ubuntu Studio and KX Studio distros, too.
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. - Jiddu Krishnamurti

If it is what i think it is, like, when you click on an element in the task bar, be it the start menu, or the network, sound, or notification icon, and nothing happens, speak, the menus won't pop up, then i had that a few times with the earlier versions of Win 10. Haven't had it for quite a while now. But, it was, or is, definitely a known issue.
The very first official win10 release definitely has that bug (and it's not a beta or preview version, for sure). Remove all the tablet apps from the menu, and you'll see it. The start menu will not work anymore. Updates are supposed to fix it among many other things, but sometimes it reappears (regardless of whether you have removed the tablet apps or not, the cause of later reappearance is unknown to me) and I have never been lucky enough to fix it without a reinstall.
~stratum~

I used Apple years ago. That iMac got me through undergrad and we had a good time together. Logic was great and the underlying POSIX/Darwin environment is nearly as workable as a typical GNU/Linux setup, but when it was time to upgrade I felt driven away by Apple's limited range of hardware. All I wanted was a box with basic graphics, lots of USB ports and room for lots of hard drives :( Funny how the sales videos for iMacs don't tend to have a tangle of USB hubs and external drives in the shot!

I use various Debian/Ubuntu flavours for most things (work, personal admin, programming projects, indie games). For a few years I used it for music too. After a few years of Reaper/WINE/Mint/KXStudio I found I really liked the workflow and plugins I was using but was never quite getting the low-latency reliable audio that the hardware should be capable of. Plugins with nice GUI like TDR and U-He were using a lot of CPU. I think the happiest Linux audio users are using RME PCI interfaces? Good stuff, fair price but a bit excessive for bedroom recording.

Have recently added another hard drive for Windows 10 dual boot, used only for audio stuff. Picked up a few good deals on plugins with more DRM than I'm really comfortable with, as an experiment. So far so good, but Win 10 finds ways to interrupt and aggravate me every now and again :-(
For anyone considering a Linux/Windows dual-boot I really do recommend putting the root partitions in different hard drives; it's easy and safe and your BIOS can do the hard work of booting things.

Biggest headache at the moment is that Waves plugins look at your network hardware to decide if you're on the right computer. There's a bug in Windows 10 on multi-boot systems that causes it to sometimes not detect all network hardware; rebooting once seems to always fix it.

Recently made the transition from Windows 7 to Windows 10. Was completely painless (I did do a clean install, though, no update) and everything works with no issues whatsoever.

Win7 on ryzen. Gonna grab a threadripper or two when that's a thing. F*ckin hilarious as shit microsoft thinks they can lock anyone outta updates with their broken ass wup. No flag for me thanks got my updates no prob.

Return to “Effects”