AMD's a-comin!!!... and Intel's been a-dunnin!!

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How good is the fan/heatsink that comes with the non-X Ryzen? Is it noisy? Or is it better to buy an X Ryzen (that is 1600X, 1700X or 1800X) and 3rd party cooler? As I said I'm not fan of overclocking, so it's mainly about noise/cooling.

EnGee wrote:How good is the fan/heatsink that comes with the non-X Ryzen? Is it noisy? Or is it better to buy an X Ryzen (that is 1600X, 1700X or 1800X) and 3rd party cooler? As I said I'm not fan of overclocking, so it's mainly about noise/cooling.
Not too bad for a stock cooler, but I already had NH-D15 which cools the CPU down better, with less noise.
It's easy if you know how

I was curious about the wraith spire too and found this
https://youtu.be/LzIIIoSveU0
It's a 95w TDP cooler paired with a 65w CPU. Basically better than average.

Since I took and cleaned the cooler/fan of my old 125 W Phenom CPU, I can hardly hear its stock cooler/fan anymore, and the new Ryzen stock coolers must be even better, way better.

I read somewhere that the new generation processors due out later this year might even ship with stock water cooling systems.

fluffy_little_something wrote:I read somewhere that the new generation processors due out later this year might even ship with stock water cooling systems.
You are right
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-threadrip ... st-launch/

Thanks for the info guys. It seems the days of the glorious Athlon has returned ;)

So mostly next year, I'll go for Ryzen 1700 with the stock cooler :D That's incredible performance per watts! 65 is greater than my current 84 watts i5. I wish they could do the same with the GPU, but still RX 580 is not that economic in power consumption :( But, I need that performance (RX 580) for future games. I just hope the fever about bitcoins would calm when I go shopping because the prices of the Graphic cards are very high now :(

I have a tough time believing that a stock fan is worth it, regardless. It's like saying "meh, I'll just run stock video and no video card" :shrug:

incubus wrote:I have a tough time believing that a stock fan is worth it, regardless. It's like saying "meh, I'll just run stock video and no video card" :shrug:
So that I asked about it ;)

If you don't overclock (which you don't!), then spending an additional $30-$50 might be well spent on a better component like the next higher/more silent case model.

Actually, the most noise I hear is coming from my video card fan not from my intel stock fan! My case has open spaces at top (no fan connected, but still most of the noise is coming from top of it). Anyway, it is not that noisy at morning or noon, but at silent night with your concentration on sounds, it becomes very annoying.

Anyway, I won't touch or spend on the current system as I will choose a good silent case for the new build (anyone has a good suggestion for a silent case? I thought of Cooler Master 652s but there might be a better or an alternative one.

EnGee wrote:
incubus wrote:I have a tough time believing that a stock fan is worth it, regardless. It's like saying "meh, I'll just run stock video and no video card" :shrug:
So that I asked about it ;)

If you don't overclock (which you don't!), then spending an additional $30-$50 might be well spent on a better component like the next higher/more silent case model.

Actually, the most noise I hear is coming from my video card fan not from my intel stock fan! My case has open spaces at top (no fan connected, but still most of the noise is coming from top of it). Anyway, it is not that noisy at morning or noon, but at silent night with your concentration on sounds, it becomes very annoying.

Anyway, I won't touch or spend on the current system as I will choose a good silent case for the new build (anyone has a good suggestion for a silent case? I thought of Cooler Master 652s but there might be a better or an alternative one.
I would stay away from Cooler Master cases, had the original Silencio and the air flow was pretty bad, so I ended up with Define R5 which was well worth it.

I wouldn't be satisfied with the stock cooler either. If you are on a budget Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo which supports AM4 socket out of the box or 212 EVO, for which you would have to buy an AM4 bracket, present a good alternative to a Wraith Spire. If you are not, I can recommend a couple of solutions. Just make sure you have enough space for any of these in your PC case.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNjkDoYZYjU

There is a cheaper cooler comparable in performance to a Hyper 212, check it out: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/CRYORIG/M9i/

Lesha wrote: I would stay away from Cooler Master cases, had the original Silencio and the air flow was pretty bad, so I ended up with Define R5 which was well worth it.

I wouldn't be satisfied with the stock cooler either. If you are on a budget Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo which supports AM4 socket out of the box or 212 EVO, for which you would have to buy an AM4 bracket, present a good alternative to a Wraith Spire. If you are not, I can recommend a couple of solutions. Just make sure you have enough space for any of these in your PC case.
Great! I have added Fractal Design Define R5 to my top list to check :)

Not sure about adding a cooler though! The case is already expensive for me (at least $199 NZD). Anyway, the CPU cooler will be the last component to add in my case. Thanks for the suggestions, they seem already popular picks here:)

EnGee wrote:Great! I have added Fractal Design Define R5 to my top list to check :)

Not sure about adding a cooler though! The case is already expensive for me (at least $199 NZD). Anyway, the CPU cooler will be the last component to add in my case. Thanks for the suggestions, they seem already popular picks here:)
Seems that my NH-D15 is almost at the top of that list :)
If you want that kind of performance for a lower price check out this one: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/The ... and_Macho/
The downside is that it has only 1 year warranty, compared to a 6 year one by Noctua.

Thanks I'll check it out if I think of a 3rd party cooler :)

If you don't overclock, you can save your money. Durability is no issue, either. If an AMD processor comes with a stock cooler, that is built to last many years under normal conditions of usage. I have always used AMD stock coolers and none ever broke. Not even the current one (which is way inferior to the Ryzen ones) despite the heat here in this apartment, my CPU's high TDP, the heavy usage for 7 years, and my laziness in terms of cleaning the cooler.

fluffy_little_something wrote:If you don't overclock, you can save your money. Durability is no issue, either. If an AMD processor comes with a stock cooler, that is built to last many years under normal conditions of usage. I have always used AMD stock coolers and none ever broke. Not even the current one (which is way inferior to the Ryzen ones) despite the heat here in this apartment, my CPU's high TDP, the heavy usage for 7 years, and my laziness in terms of cleaning the cooler.
You are right, it's a very capable cooler if you don't overclock. But if you do, and are a freak like me who wants as much silence as possible, going for a different cooler might help.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”