Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

FathomSynth wrote:
Touch The Universe: The LuSH-101 patch sounds amazing. But its hard to tell exactly what
they are doind there internally. It sounds like some manipulation of the spectrum partials.
I think Fathom could do that if it allowed individual modulation of single partials
or groups of partials in the additive spectrum oscillator, which sadly currently it does not.
As far as I know, Lush-101 doesn't use any additive type synthesis. That ringing sound is through self oscillating resonance. I imagine the cutoff unison does what it suggest and spreads a different cutoff value between the voices in unison. This can give a really cool effect in some situations, like self oscillation or simply making unison saws more wide.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

FathomSynth wrote:OK, So I loaded up the Reaper project you just sent me (thanks!).

I ran it routing the Fathom VST through my debugger using both the polyphonic and mono builds,
and absolutely no clicks at all. I listened to both tracks in the Reaper project individually and
let the loop play many times, no clicks.

So I pointed Reaper to my release test folder and dropped in Fathom version 109
both the 64 and 32 bit versions. Then I re-scanned the plugin folder in Reaper
and replaced the tracks with Fathom version 109. I ran the loops several times,
still no clicking. I then loaded Fathom 109 32 bit and re-ran the test,
still absolutely no clicking at all. I tried adding a filter and playing with the knobs
but no difference.

I also tried adding more complex notes to the midi sequence, still no clicking.

I did not have any trouble running Fathom 32 on my Win 7 64 bit system.

I'm not just saying this to avoid fixing a bug, but I'm just not hearing any clicking.

Keep in mind I have 64 GB of RAM. While running your Reaper project with 3 instances of
Fathom I noticed my RAM usage was around 9 GB (including Visual Studio which I had open).

So if anyone is using a 32 bit machine with 4 GB of RAM that could definitely be a problem.

I actually sent that to RPH, but thanks for verifying. It must just be my stuff. Ill try my audio interface in the am to see if it makes a difference. could be the dac on the laptop HP out.

I simply want the best for this synth. I think its s great tool.

Also did not get the increased cpu I mentioned earlier to reproduce today. It did it constant tor an hour last night. Go figure...
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

OK, Good news everyone, Diego isolated the clicking problem in Reaper
to the wave draw oscillator and holding a note while tapping another.

I'm able to recreate the problem now on my system.

So I will debug this and it will be fixed in the next release.

:tu:
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Think I found a bug in components Impulse and Freq pulse ( all the other audio components don't have it ), there is a 20Hz bump in the spectrum when I check with Voxengo Span.
Even when I move up in pitch it's there. Guess that would needlessly suck energy. Renoise spectrum analyser also shows the bump.
fathom-impulse-20Hz-bump.jpg
fathom-freq-pulse-20Hz-bump.jpg

Everett, the release in the pad preset was a bit too short. Updated it with a longer tail which sounds better.
LushDetunedPad(new)-2.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by RPH on Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just for curiosity, could it be possible to have a bezier curve wavedraw oscillator?

Freedraw is sometimes a bit annoying and bezier would bring some accuracy to it :D

Yes, I'll take a look at that low frequency spike.

DH, ok, You are going to laugh, coincidence of the century, I've been working on the new
Bezier Curve oscillator for the last two weeks.

I wanted it to be a surprise, but yes it will be in the next release.

Not only that, but you will be able to edit it in two ways, buy dragging the points
in the graph just like the bezier envelope, but also a new panel with all the X Y points
accessible in dials, which can each be modulated!!!

This will provide modulating waveform points, which will essentially provide physical modeling
type wave modulation.

FathomSynth wrote:...but also a new panel with all the X Y points

This will provide modulating waveform points, which will essentially provide physical modeling
type wave modulation.
Damn :clap: :love: :hyper: :tu:

FathomSynth wrote:Yes, I'll take a look at that low frequency spike.

DH, ok, You are going to laugh, coincidence of the century, I've been working on the new
Bezier Curve oscillator for the last two weeks.

I wanted it to be a surprise, but yes it will be in the next release.

Not only that, but you will be able to edit it in two ways, buy dragging the points
in the graph just like the bezier envelope, but also a new panel with all the X Y points

type wave modulation.
:cool: :-o :shock: :shock: :hyper: :hyper:

modulating waveform points: that'll probably take a lot of CPU :?:

good news, this new osc will bring fathom in the next level!

Could there be a problem with ADSR, like it's not using a new voice per new note?
Beause i'm also getting clicks in the paid version by playing the same note in rapid succession.
The patch has some basic waveforms and a ADSR with slow Attack. Without the ADSR the patch has no clicks.
Poly = 16.

Reproduce by inserting basic waveform and ADSR, play the same note on midi keyboard.

My patch:
FM-Aliases.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ok, I'll take a look.

Update: OK, I found it. Its caused by the Distortion in the second oscillator.

Distortion changes the waveform which impacts the logic which waits
until the waveform cycle hits zero to start the next note with no click.

I can fix this.

Ah ok, forgot to mention the distortion indeed..thanks.
Great that you found it so fast!

Update: found another bug, this time in the detune parameter window.
Set detune steps to something for every voice, then change the amount of voices. It seems that every voice setting has it's own memory of detune steps settings. Or was that as intended? :)

So e.g.: voices = 2, detune voice 1 = -24 and detune voice 2 = -12. Change to voices = 4, detune voice 1 = 0 and detune voice 2 = 0 ( same for 3 and 4. Now change the voices to 3, you'll notice the detune steps are now all 0. Change to voices = 2 and see the settings from the start of my example.

No, sorry, not a bug, yes, each number of Detune voices has its own separate profile.

You can select 2 voices and set all the detune parameters exactly the way you want it for 2 voices,
then change it to 7 voices and set all the parameters exactly the way you want them for 7 voices,
then you go back to 2 voices, those settings are remembered and not destroyed.

If you are clever you can save your preset open the xml file in a text editor,
find the audio object <Object> under <AudioObjects>, the go down and fine <VoiceListMaster>
and copy the voices on top of each other as you desire.

If you want in the next release I can put in a hack for saving an object's voice profile as the default.

I see, excellent feature then!
Never seen that before in a synth.

Yea, I would like that hack in the next release if not too much trouble. Thanks!

Return to “Instruments”