Speaker sounding different when moving my head...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When I take one speaker only (mono), and I put my ear in front of the hf driver (turned 90°), the sound is louder, clearer, and the hf are more present, than when I listen in a normal listening position.

Is it normal ?

Yes. Your head is blocking the sound waves. Google HRTF.
You need to limit that rez, bro.

NotreDame wrote:When I take one speaker only (mono), and I put my ear in front of the hf driver (turned 90°), the sound is louder, clearer, and the hf are more present, than when I listen in a normal listening position.

Is it normal ?
Maybe abnormal.

We need to know a few things about you NotreDame before our diagnosis can be completed:

1) what shape is your head?

2) can you describe, by use of a diagram, what head movements you make?

3) does your head sound different when you move your speaker around?

It is likely that my KVR comrade kbaccki's advice is correct.
But if you're willing to provide information to the above questions, we can be more sure that our diagnosis is the correct one (and also sell on your data).
Thank you.

This is normal, to some extent. Could be a design issue with your monitors though... I had the same issue (and design error in crossovers) with Wharfedale Diamond speakers, so returned them to the shop the very same day. Could not live with that.

Your speaker should be positioned in such way that your head is in direct line with the centre of the speaker. Turn the speakers so they aim directly towards you and don't shoot the sound to a point behind you or above you.

We discussed this before, NotreDame. Take your expensive loss with the Munroe eggs. Go shopping for better monitors (not perse expensive) and this time you know what to listen for.
Last edited by BertKoor on Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I just looked at your post history NotreDame and you clearly have an advanced case of audiochondria.

[Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Peace.]

dark water wrote:
NotreDame wrote:When I take one speaker only (mono), and I put my ear in front of the hf driver (turned 90°), the sound is louder, clearer, and the hf are more present, than when I listen in a normal listening position.

Is it normal ?
Maybe abnormal.

We need to know a few things about you NotreDame before our diagnosis can be completed:

1) what shape is your head?

2) can you describe, by use of a diagram, what head movements you make?

3) does your head sound different when you move your speaker around?

It is likely that my KVR comrade kbaccki's advice is correct.
But if you're willing to provide information to the above questions, we can be more sure that our diagnosis is the correct one (and also sell on your data).
Thank you.

1) I don't really understand your question, I have not a small head though.

2) Here is a draw where I try to make it clearer :
Dessin.PNG

Remember that only one speaker is used.
So position 1 is normal position : sound "muddy"

Position 2 : louder, and clearer, but a lot more.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

3) does your head sound different when you move your speaker around? : not really...
There is difference only when changing the angle of my head, but strangely moving the speaker does not make real difference.

"does a speaker sound different when it's pointing at my ear to when it's pointing at my nose"

yes. jesus

Here I tried to simulate what I hear with an eq :

Here is what it sounds like with head in normal position in front of one speaker : http://picosong.com/v2Kh/

Here is with ear in front of the speaker : http://picosong.com/v2KA/

get a microphone and move it around your head while you talk.. listen to the sound as it changes.

the same shit happens when it's sound waves reaching your ears and your head moves.

Dude, you have discovered dopplereffect (red shift, the big bang, the source of everything and all that)

Do they sound different when you put your hands over your ears ... like you're near the sea?

wickfut wrote:"does a speaker sound different when it's pointing at my ear to when it's pointing at my nose"

yes. jesus
:hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote:Do they sound different when you put your hands over your ears ... like you're near the sea?
:hihi:

@NotreDame - sorry I was being naughty (although I like your drawing very much!).

Follow kbaccki, wickfut and BertKoor's advice.

Really? ANOTHER thread about your Munroe speakers?
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”