Omnisphere (MHO)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

layzer wrote:omni users are pretty much like those warez people that download torrent gigs upon gigs of cracked software, woohoo, great! i got 50,000 synths! yeah, how many lifetimes do you have to use them all? its a form of greed.... theres a show about it, its called HOARDERS.
Yeah, I think we should all stick to the same handful of real-world, acoustic instruments. Nobody needs the near-infinite possible sound variations your average synthesizer offers. Heck, we should all buy the instruments from the same supplier and play them exactly the same way. No need to get greedy with all that articulation nonsense.

Greenstorm33 wrote:
layzer wrote:omni users are pretty much like those warez people that download torrent gigs upon gigs of cracked software, woohoo, great! i got 50,000 synths! yeah, how many lifetimes do you have to use them all? its a form of greed.... theres a show about it, its called HOARDERS.
Yeah, I think we should all stick to the same handful of real-world, acoustic instruments. Nobody needs the near-infinite possible sound variations your average synthesizer offers. Heck, we should all buy the instruments from the same supplier and play them exactly the same way. No need to get greedy with all that articulation nonsense.

So first, I don't agree with Layzer about much of anything, but, even though he's exaggerating, he has something of a point here and your counter is a strawman. He didn't say that you don't need synthesizers, or really anything about acoustic instruments, he said that the typical Omni fan who's droning on about the number of presets or the size of the library is exhibiting hoarder mentality.

I've addressed this point before, but, I'll say it again, referring to "near-infinite" variation is silly because no matter how much variation that we have, when we look to a new product we are looking for variation that our existing products can't achieve. Synth1 is free and can achieve "near-infinite" variation, so, if that had value, in and of itself, you wouldn't need anything else.

So, why do you need Diva, or Bazille? Because no matter how good of a sound designer you are, the technology in Synth-1 will not allow you to cover the same ground as Diva or Bazille. Layzer may not agree, but he's wrong.

Similarly, the technology in Omni doesn't offer ground that can't be covered elsewhere because it's simply not cutting edge. Sure, if you want the burning piano, and you don't think that you can synthesize a suitable substitute, then you should get Omni. I don't know of any other burning piano samples that are widely available. However, not everything, in fact, the vast majority of samples in Omni, aren't really that unique.
Last edited by ghettosynth on Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

As usual there is a very simple way to solve that all.....buy it if you think you get your value out of it or let it go.
Don't forget, opinions are no facts.
I'm still happy with Omnisphere and especially in combination with Keyscape.
I believe and understand people who don't like it and that's fine.
Again here some people think to know why others are "wrong". No one here really seems to have a clue and we are all dumb and childish. Accept it.
If i pay 1000 grand for a sample library it's my decision. If someone like cheesy 80's sound free synths, great. Have fun.
Use what you like and don't be frustraited because your life must suck. It's maybe your own fault.
But if you are happy with it fight against windmills until you die :D

Greenstorm33 wrote:

multi effects, man.... you can make every sound omni has with basic effects.
just ask U2's The Edge how he gets a zillion sounds out of his guitar with them.
and thats all most omni presets are....basic sounds drenched in effects.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

Loving all this Omni Derangement Syndrome (ODS) frothing. I haven't seen people troll themselves so hard in ages :hyper:

spirit wrote:Loving all this Omni Derangement Syndrome (ODS) frothing. I haven't seen people troll themselves so hard in ages :hyper:
We're just having a conversation. Everyone is well aware that the OP is a ghost. I see that you're still interested, here, I'll make some more popcorn for you.

ghettosynth wrote:
Greenstorm33 wrote:

So first, I don't agree with Layzer about much of anything, but, even though he's exaggerating, he has something of a point here and your counter is a strawman. He didn't say that you don't need synthesizers, or really anything about acoustic instruments, he said that the typical Omni fan who's droning on about the number of presets or the size of the library is exhibiting hoarder mentality.

I've addressed this point before, but, I'll say it again, referring to "near-infinite" variation is silly because no matter how much variation that we have, when we look to a new product we are looking for variation that are existing products can't achieve. Synth1 is free and can achieve "near-infinite" variation, so, if that had value, in and of itself, you wouldn't need anything else.

So, why do you need Diva, or Bazille? Because no matter how good of a sound designer you are, the technology in Synth-1 will not allow you to cover the same ground as Diva or Bazille. Layzer may not agree, but he's wrong.

Similarly, the technology in Omni doesn't offer ground that can't be covered elsewhere because it's simply not cutting edge. Sure, if you want the burning piano, and you don't think that you can synthesize a suitable substitute, then you should get Omni. I don't know of any other burning piano samples that are widely available. However, not everything, in fact, the vast majority of samples in Omni, aren't really that unique.
How is wanting a large number of presets any more hoarder mentality than wanting a bunch of synthesizers that cover different ground when you tweak them? Either way you're trying to maximize the number of sounds you can achieve, it's just a matter of whether you prefer presets or tweaking. Omnisphere may not be able to do anything you can't get elsewhere, but some people may prefer having a large quantity of presets at their fingertips rather than a synth that you can tweak to get those same sounds (and the presets in Omnisphere specifically might be to their liking), and I don't see why people have such a problem with that.

Also fwiw this:
ghettosynth wrote:Beyond that, I have no idea why you, or anyone other than Eric, takes criticism of a software product personally. You do understand that some of us are dumbfounded by that kind of response, right? It's just software, and it's not your software.
is wrong. I read the whole thread and when it was about how Omnisphere sucks/doesn't suck/is worth it/isn't worth it it was doing just fine. It's only when you start to see posts like layzer's that are effectively saying "you suck because you like Omnisphere" that people's feathers start to get ruffled. Is it any wonder that those posts (not criticism of the software by itself) are perceived as personal attacks?
Last edited by Greenstorm33 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote: So, why do you need Diva, or Bazille? Because no matter how good of a sound designer you are, the technology in Synth-1 will not allow you to cover the same ground as Diva or Bazille. Layzer may not agree, but he's wrong.
yeah, i don't agree. i was going to use a rhythm guitar sample in a song i'm currently composing
but then loaded up synth1 and started tweakin... yeah, this from an analog synth:
https://app.box.com/s/3o3en5jzi5k64v8kliiiqfl673ivdf0p
if you don't think that sounds good, clean your ears.

ghettosynth wrote:
spirit wrote:The ladies protesteth too much methinks :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of course, because you want to continue to imagine how special you are for owning Omni because that's less painful than admitting that you paid too much for a mediocre library.
:dog: Didn't you just scold me for assuming what others feel or think? :lol:

For the record though, ever since I bought Omnisphere 2, my life has constantly improved. My wife is more affectionate towards me, my dog stopped pooping in the living room, and my son has grown nearly a foot in height. I have no way to prove 100% that it was Omnisphere 2, but the coincidences are just too much to ignore. :tu:
Last edited by quantum7 on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Greenstorm33 wrote:It's only when you start to see posts like layzer's that are effectively saying "you suck because you like Omnisphere" that people's feathers start to get ruffled. Is it any wonder that those posts (not criticism of the software by itself) are perceived as personal attacks?
i never said anyone sucked because they like omnibloat. quit it. before i sue your dumb a$$ for slander. :smack:

layzer wrote:
Greenstorm33 wrote:It's only when you start to see posts like layzer's that are effectively saying "you suck because you like Omnisphere" that people's feathers start to get ruffled. Is it any wonder that those posts (not criticism of the software by itself) are perceived as personal attacks?
i never said anyone sucked because they like omnibloat. quit it. before i sue your dumb a$$ for slander. :smack:
I said "effectively." I don't see how calling people "hoarders" could be interpreted as anything other than criticizing people who use Omnisphere. It certainly is not framed as a comment on the quality or lack thereof of the synth itself.

I bet Eric from Spectrasonics starts all these threads. Good or bad, it gets Omnisphere talked about. As the saying goes, "any press is good press". Eric is laughing all the way to the bank. :hihi:

Greenstorm33 wrote:How is wanting a large number of presets any more hoarder mentality than wanting a bunch of synthesizers that cover different ground when you tweak them? Either way you're trying to maximize the number of sounds you can achieve, it's just a matter of whether you prefer presets or tweaking. Omnisphere may not be able to do anything you can't get elsewhere, but some people may prefer having a large quantity of presets at their fingertips rather than a synth that you can tweak to get those same sounds (and the presets in Omnisphere specifically might be to their liking), and I don't see why people have such a problem with that.
So, first, no doubt that there are different approaches to achieving a necessary variety of sound. However, arguing that quantity implies value intrinsically is something of a hoarder mentality. Also, I never said anything about a "bunch" of synthesizers. I think that you're conflating some ideas a bit here. Omni with presets and samples is no more going to cover the ground of Diva and Bazille than Synth1 will. So, even if you have Omni, if you want to cover that ground you are still going to need more synths.
Also fwiw this:
ghettosynth wrote:Beyond that, I have no idea why you, or anyone other than Eric, takes criticism of a software product personally. You do understand that some of us are dumbfounded by that kind of response, right? It's just software, and it's not your software.
is wrong. I read the whole thread and when it was about how Omnisphere sucks/doesn't suck/is worth it/isn't worth it it was doing just fine. It's only when you start to see posts like layzer's that are effectively saying "you suck because you like Omnisphere" that people's feathers start to get ruffled. Is it any wonder that those posts (not criticism of the software by itself) are perceived as personal attacks?
So direct the response at layzer and say that, rather than generalize. I've posted in a lot of these threads. It's always the same when Omni's value proposition is challenged. People get offended as if it's their own child. I can post, literally, dozens of examples. Go back and read some of the threads that noiseboyuk posted a few pages back. You will see the same pattern over and over again. Some fans won't accept ANY criticism.

layzer wrote:
ghettosynth wrote: So, why do you need Diva, or Bazille? Because no matter how good of a sound designer you are, the technology in Synth-1 will not allow you to cover the same ground as Diva or Bazille. Layzer may not agree, but he's wrong.
yeah, i don't agree. i was going to use a rhythm guitar sample in a song i'm currently composing
but then loaded up synth1 and started tweakin... yeah, this from an analog synth:
https://app.box.com/s/3o3en5jzi5k64v8kliiiqfl673ivdf0p
if you don't think that sounds good, clean your ears.
I don't think your stuff sounds good, but, that's neither here nor there, I said that Synth1 won't cover the same ground as Diva and Bazille. Definitionally, posting examples from Synth 1 cannot refute that point. You MUST show that Synth 1 can cover ground that "I" believe is unique to Diva and Bazille. You don't seem to understand that nobody is going to take your own opinion on your own work as authoritative. An fact, it largely has the opposite effect I think.

If you want to impress people, you could start by finding one of pdxindy's Bazille demo patches that he's posted and recreate that sound with Synth 1.

quantum7 wrote: For the record though, ever since I bought Omnisphere 2, my life has constantly improved. My wife is more affectionate towards me, my dog stopped pooping in the living room, and my son has grown nearly a foot in height. I have no way to prove 100% that it was Omnisphere 2, but the coincidences are just too much to ignore. :tu:
Your dog is probably pooping in your Omnisphere box instead of the living room, which explains why your wife is more affectionate. ;)

Return to “Instruments”