Question regarding slicing drum loops

Official support for: mutools.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am using Mulab for about week now. I have to say, I am very impressed with its software.

I have a question regarding if this is possible within Mulab/MUX. Say, I have sliced up a drum sample to my liking. Can I trigger with the step sequencer?

Many Daws, like Mulab allow you to manipulate and rearrange slices in the 'piano roll' editor. It would be rather fun if can trigger the slices via the step sequencer.

Can this be done in some kind of manner?

Appreciate it.

Thanks.

Yes, you can.

If you have a sliced loop, you should have a sequence that you play that triggers the slices.
Just take that sequence and copy it into the stepsequencer.
Stepseq.jpg
Things you should look for:
- adjust the length of the notes, as I did in the above screenshot
- correct note values. Either you enter the required notes in the stepsequencer yourself (double click on the note values on the left side), or you Tranpose in Mod.Group A as I did in the screenshot.
- if steps are not on the grid, you have to adjust the offset of those steps.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thanks for your answer. Adjusting the offset seems rather a bit cumbersome. Hopefully there is a other way of achieving this.

I made a short little video in Ableton, to show the functionality.

https://youtu.be/og2Xlz0XT34
Bascically, the simpler device reacts to General Midi ( c1, C#, etc.) I used a max for live device to trigger slices that way. (I think this can be achieved with a drum machine which spits out midi, but I have not tested it)

Anyway,hopefully can see, in the video at 0:50 I switch between trigger mode instead of gated in the simpler device. When I switch the simpler device to trigger instead of gated, the slices are played back more fluidly. Also, I switch to polyphony, as multiple slices need to be played in the drum loop.

As Im quite new to MUX environment, hopefully I shed some light on the topics that you may help me to achieve this in MuLab.
So in a nutshell:
-Being able to sequence the slices triggered, instead of gated. (there fore not adjusting any offset?)
-And being able to play polyphonically

I'm sure this setup can be achieved in a MUX, as its more versatile opposed to Simpler.

Thanks.

AndreasD wrote:Yes, you can.

If you have a sliced loop, you should have a sequence that you play that triggers the slices.
Stepseq.jpg
- correct note values. Either you enter the required notes in the stepsequencer yourself (double click on the note values on the left side), or you Tranpose in Mod.Group A as I did in the screenshot.
Will try this out! thanks for the screenshot.

AndreasD wrote:Yes, you can.

- correct note values. Either you enter the required notes in the stepsequencer yourself (double click on the note values on the left side), or you Tranpose in <span class="skimlinks-unlinked">Mod.Group</span> A as I did in the screenshot.
Hey, about the notes offset, can't the notes just be quantized? That seems to solve the issue offset hassle in the piano roll. And how will I be able to drag the notes in the piano roll into the step sequencer? Thanks.

Sure you can ignore the offsets and purely work on the step grid. In some cases you might have to finetune the auto slice markers so to get a perfect snappy timing.

Currently there is no way to import a standard sequence into the step sequencer. (the sequence might use values that don't match the step seq concept) so you'll have to program the steps yourself, but this might be a creative thing, you can already start playing the slices in other ways ;)

Return to “MUTOOLS”