Cytomic "The Drop" Resonant Filter

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
The Drop

Here's an audio example of the legato LFO in action, just a basic beat and bassline, with The Drop filtering the bass sound only, and an Env1 in The Drop ducking from the kick, and I'm tweaking 8 knobs: the hp/lp cutoff+res, LFO1/2 rate+mult:
https://cytomic.com/files/drop-legato-lfo.mp3
The Glue, The Drop - www.cytomic.com

That sounds sick in the smoothest possible way. Mmneaoww-woww mneoww-woww :D
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

spunkmuffin wrote:That sounds sick in the smoothest possible way. Mmneaoww-woww mneoww-woww :D
I really hope this is one of those moments when people start getting disappointed with their current LFOs in various devices and start saying: "how come it doesn't do what The Drop does?" :tu:

Andy,

in this current Cubase 9 Pro project I'm getting constant host crashes when I interact with the drop UI. Starts happening after I send some midi Data to the plugin (a copy of the instrument track in fact). After that, every other Drop UI interaction makes cubase go poof.
Could there be an issue with aftertouch/modulation or generally non-note-on CCs being sent to the drop causing this?

I have biggest problem with my non compatible video card when things use GPU which helps CPU but it's because of my board and video. Not on Drop necessarily but input this anyway.

Augren wrote:Andy,

in this current Cubase 9 Pro project I'm getting constant host crashes when I interact with the drop UI. Starts happening after I send some midi Data to the plugin (a copy of the instrument track in fact). After that, every other Drop UI interaction makes cubase go poof.
Could there be an issue with aftertouch/modulation or generally non-note-on CCs being sent to the drop causing this?
The Drop v1.5.6 had a problem with both Cubase on Windows, as well as receiving Midi CC. Please update to The Drop v1.5.7 :)

News: The Drop v1.5.8 is released. There was a little bug in the use of new expression evaluator which caused the upper bound of the PRE and POST knobs, so in v1.5.7 they were +36 dB instead of +24 dB. This is fixed in this new build. Hopefully this is the last little bug fix for a while!
  • The Drop v1.5.8 (9 Aug 2017)
    https://cytomic.com/drop
  • New: basic expression evaluation for all numeric text input on controls eg: you can type “4*(1+1/3)” to get “5.3333333”
  • Fixed: upper bound on Pre and Post gain knobs back to +24 dB (was +36 dB)

That did the trick, thanks Andy.

As a heads-up, Windows Defender on Windows 10 ("Smartscreen") sees it as a virus and doesn't want to run it.

omiroad wrote:As a heads-up, Windows Defender on Windows 10 ("Smartscreen") sees it as a virus and doesn't want to run it.
Just click run

Interestingly, that option wasn't there. I didn't have time to check it out more, I didn't even know this thing was enabled on my system.

andy-cytomic wrote:Here's an audio example of the legato LFO in action, just a basic beat and bassline, with The Drop filtering the bass sound only, and an Env1 in The Drop ducking from the kick, and I'm tweaking 8 knobs: the hp/lp cutoff+res, LFO1/2 rate+mult:
https://cytomic.com/files/drop-legato-lfo.mp3
That sounds bloody gorgeous.

I've been demoing this on and off and really like it. Just wondering though, what is the best way to prevent the feedback at very high resonance setting in between notes? If I want to feed it a sound source and tweak at at high resonances like tweaking an SH-101 for example, the self-oscillation wouldn't be heard in between notes. It seems that you could set the sensitivity for the filter to close beneath a certain level, but it didn't always sound too clean. Don't think I've explored all the midi in options yet. Is the a best way to do this. Ie. best way to emulate a single synth behavior when I'm feeding it a sound source?

I realize this may have come up before, but it's a huge thread, sorry.

You can turn the self oscillating off with the 'safe' button.

Mace404 wrote:You can turn the self oscillating off with the 'safe' button.
Yes I know, thanks. I should have been more clear. I want to still allow the resonance to get that high, like in an sh-101, but I don't want it to be heard in between the notes. I suppose I could put a gain device after the filter with its own envelope in bitwig, which I think would mimic a typical synth structure. I figured I'd use the amp envelope of the source (like Omnisphere for example) but I guess it's not usual to have the amp envelope before a filter. So I could do it with bitwig modulators.

But yeah just wondering if there's a better way to do it within the drop itself. Maybe an envelope on the post gain? Then maybe the strategy would be to have the source release be longer than you set the post release and that would work out. Hoping some experienced users can comment on how they typically set this up to act like your typical mono synth.

Return to “Effects”