My heart says Scarlett, my mind says Mr. Steinberg :)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

Just one of those inexpensive USB interface threads… I have read many of these, on KVR, Gearslutz and other sites. I know the difference in terms of in/outs etc between the similarly priced Scarlett Solo/UR12 and the Scarlett 2i2/UR22. What I have concerns about is the stability of the Windows drivers. From what I gather, the Focusrite interfaces are not as stable as the Steinberg ones under Windows 10 – is this a correct assumption?

I really, really like the looks of the Scarlett interfaces, and the software online giveaways/discounts are nice (such as giving away the Vielklang LE the other month!), but when I press Record and do a vocal take, I really want it to end up on the hard drive. (Admittedly, this does not only have to do with stability of the drivers but also of how many steps are involved before the signal reaches the DAW.)

Something that might speak for the Focusrite machines is that they seem to have warmer preamps (while Steinberg/Yamaha has more neutral) – is this the case?

I would use ASIO (as I use MuLab as my DAW). I don’t really want to install a lot of bloatware/DAWs that I’m not interested in, but it seems as a necessary evil.

Thanks!

SparkySpark
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

SparkySpark wrote:Hi,

Just one of those inexpensive USB interface threads… I have read many of these, on KVR, Gearslutz and other sites. I know the difference in terms of in/outs etc between the similarly priced Scarlett Solo/UR12 and the Scarlett 2i2/UR22. What I have concerns about is the stability of the Windows drivers. From what I gather, the Focusrite interfaces are not as stable as the Steinberg ones under Windows 10 – is this a correct assumption?

I really, really like the looks of the Scarlett interfaces, and the software online giveaways/discounts are nice (such as giving away the Vielklang LE the other month!), but when I press Record and do a vocal take, I really want it to end up on the hard drive. (Admittedly, this does not only have to do with stability of the drivers but also of how many steps are involved before the signal reaches the DAW.)

Something that might speak for the Focusrite machines is that they seem to have warmer preamps (while Steinberg/Yamaha has more neutral) – is this the case?

I would use ASIO (as I use MuLab as my DAW). I don’t really want to install a lot of bloatware/DAWs that I’m not interested in, but it seems as a necessary evil. I only plan to record one voice at a time, so I don't care about issues that might have to do with group recordings or so.

Thanks!

SparkySpark
Go MuLab!

My head says NI (in that price range) ... ymmv ;)

Now that i figured out that my wi-fi adapter has been responsible for the issues i formerly had with my UR22 (got audio dropouts with my former wi-fi adapter, then i bought a new one, and, no issues at all anymore...), i can wholeheartedly recommend the Steinberg interfaces. Best bang for the buck for me, and they do sound good. I have both the UR12, and the UR22. Mind though, that the UR12 only has chinch outputs, and it's rather aimed at mobile, and mobile device use. The UR22 has the outputs you'd expect from something more "serious", 6.35 mm jack outputs and inputs, MIDI in and out, and so on. Especially if you plan to use a mixer, or a hardware synth, or something like that, at some point, i'd rather recommend going for the UR22.

chk071 wrote:The UR22 has the outputs you'd expect from something more "serious", 6.35 mm jack outputs and inputs, MIDI in and out, and so on.
Since the UR22 has MIDI in/out, the Scarlett 2i2 is not really an equivalent interface. You need to compare it to the Scarlett 2i4.

Just sayin', in case price is a driving factor. :phones:

Yeah. In any case, i really failed to find something comparable for the price of the UR22, that's why i ended up with it.

Bear in mind that "Steinberg" is, in fact, Yamaha. Personally, I have had problems with some Yamaha drivers over the years. I have had good luck with Roland, Presonus & Tascam interfaces.
I've not used Focusrite interfaces but I've read numerous complaints on various forums.
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

Happy Steinberg user here, on my second interface now. Can't speak for Win10, but drivers are rock solid on Win7.

Gimme an R

Gimme an M

Gimme an E

Why put up with all the stuff a soundcard can mess you up. Give up chronic for a month and put the money towards a really good soundcard where you never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever ever EVER have to worry again.

I know, I did. Ouchy to the pocketbook on the front side. Yummy to everything on the backside.

Hi,

Thanks so much for all replies!

I must take a look at NI and RME too then. Thanks again. :)
Go MuLab!

If you can afford RME go that route, really top stability and lowest latency in Windows.

I have had Focusrite and Steinberg interfaces, using g the.on Windows. Both are stable but Steinberg drivers have lower latency. Steinberg is probable the second best option in Windows after RME.
dedication to flying

SparkySpark wrote:I would use ASIO (as I use MuLab as my DAW). I don’t really want to install a lot of bloatware/DAWs that I’m not interested in, but it seems as a necessary evil. I only plan to record one voice at a time, so I don't care about issues that might have to do with group recordings or so.
Why would you use ASIO if you have your interface's driver installed and working?

Using MuLab? Recording one voice? Seems you're on the budget end of things - an RME makes no sense.

Windows 10 has been out for how long? UR22 has been out for how long? Why do you think the driver has 'issues'? If you run into something - the fault is in your setup or how you're doing things.

It's not that complex...

sfxsound3 wrote:
Why would you use ASIO if you have your interface's driver installed and working?
ASIO is the recommended driver type for DAW-use. The only one that might perform better in some cases is WASAPI -- though I don't think a lot of users fall into that group.

Perhaps you're thinking of ASIO4all (the generic ASIO driver often recommended as a last-ditch choice)?

Hi,

I use MuLab because of its workflow, not because of its low price. Plus I like to support the little companies and not just the big ones. :)

UR22 seems like the most reasonable choice for me at this time I think.

Thanks again.
Go MuLab!

I think focusrite makes a pretty decent unit. However, I never liked the sound of my saffire 14. It was stable and had ok latency.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”