need help in instrument arrangement and methods for making dubstep

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

for quite a while i have been making chillstep aka melodic dubstep and now i am trying to make some hard core banger like datsik and excision and i know only how to make some metal bass using fm and would like to learn how to make some growls.

so i would like to know on how you guys make your own dubstep

any type of suggestion on how to use a instrument or how to lay down sounds would be helpful would be helpful
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Yeah its quite simple you just modulate the operators in fm8, either assign dem to your controller knobs or write automation in your daw. Otherwise do sometin sumilar in razer. Theres like a gazillion vids on this subject.

Now, the question is how long before someone says "how dare you post this in instruments!!!" :x

If u have FM8 already you can still use this although a bit outdated. If you wanna buy a new synth for your purpose I would recommend Serum.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... erum+growl

Chris-S wrote:If u have FM8 already you can still use this although a bit outdated. If you wanna buy a new synth for your purpose I would recommend Serum.

ok thanks but i find serum quite limiting when compared to mpowersynth so bought that and regarding that i think that for growls wavetables are required after watching the videos so could you recommend some free site to download free growl tables
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Apratim wrote:
Chris-S wrote:If u have FM8 already you can still use this although a bit outdated. If you wanna buy a new synth for your purpose I would recommend Serum.

ok thanks but i find serum quite limiting when compared to mpowersynth so bought that and regarding that i think that for growls wavetables are required after watching the videos so could you recommend some free site to download free growl tables
Cymatics has some nice growl bass wavetables.
https://cymatics.fm/free-download-vault/

imo to make those cool agressive dubstep tunes you would need
Massive for its modulation OSC and the Stepper
FM8
Serum
And Razor

for drums i'd suggest Geist2

for distortion i would go Trash 2 or Saturn

Gated reverb is a must on the snare(pshhhhhhhh) so go for an algo reverb

for that Big Stereo width i'd suggest Bx_StereoMaker
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

realmarco wrote:imo to make those cool agressive dubstep tunes you would need
FM8
Serum
And Razor

for drums i'd suggest Geist2

for distortion i would go Trash 2 or Saturn

Gated reverb is a must on the snare(pshhhhhhhh) so go for an algo reverb

ok that some precise recommendation i would say

i have still some points to be made and and correct me if i am wrong

regarding the synths i think mpowersynth can do what FM8(FM),Massive(morphing wavetable,steppers),Serum(drag and drop wavetable),Razor(additive syenthesis with morphing) so i think that is covered by mpowersynth as it can do all the above stuff mentioned in the (" ")

ok regarding drums i use only samples so still searching for a good vst (is there any cheap option??)

for distortion i have many melda distortions and currently thinking to transfer my dads license of saturn to me

and for reverb i have the same melda stuff the mconvolutionMB

and for stero idk may be melda Mstereospread does the same as Bx_StereoMaker

correct me if i am wrong somewhere

so can you provide me with some more cheap options for drums vst
i am currently looking at image line drumaxx(fits my budget of 100) hope so it can be compared to geist 2 but need your opinion

Is this a joke?

Drumaxx & Geist are pretty different afaik ... Drumaxx is a drum synth, Geist is sample based. Your best bet is to demo both ...

dunno about mpowersynth never tried it..sounds interesting

check out this link its the search engine of what kvraudio knows what exists..alot of people don't know its there cuz its called "plugins" on the news page

http://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/newest
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

the trick of Dubstep is to have sample loaded to the pads and playing several different sound at the same time. So if you have good samples collection, load them in to sampler and assign to the keys and then play rhythms with different sounds. Good drum program is Izotop Beat Tweaker, but don't pay full price- it been available around the net for like $50. But you will need expansions, or I believe you can load your own samples in to it- check it. Making music is not cheap. Eventually you will realize that you need prolevel instruments and effects. The sooner is the better.

thanks man appreciate the tip
for samples i have around 6000 samples of drums(acoustic)
hope so that will be enough
will process it with distortion for sure for the dubstep

did you check out xfer Nerve? it has powerful resynthesis and shaping for samples. useful for dubstep. it has internal modulators, eq and sidechain, reducing vst overhead and leaving your cpu free for the synths.

realmarco wrote:imo to make those cool agressive dubstep tunes you would need
FM8
Serum
And Razor

I can add Harmor to the list, probably instead of Razor. It's also additive synth, but completely weird-ass with crazy controls which will always give you unexpected results ;)

You do not need stereo enchancer, never. Simple mid-side plugin will do all the job.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote:You do not need stereo enchancer, never. Simple mid-side plugin will do all the job.
Yea if you got any signal in the diff channel sure. Sometimes you gotta make a sound more stereo to give your mid side plug something to chew on right? Op already got mstereospread doing the spectral and delay thing but micropitch can do it a diff way too. Gotta recommend stillwell cmx or soundtoys microshift for all that. Soundtoys even got a sale goin on right now.

Return to “Instruments”