Juno 60 chorus

DSP, Plugin and Host development discussion.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Im trying to make my chorus sound similar to this in Roland Juno 60.

Since I have no access to Juno 60, I try things on TAL UNO chorus plugin. When I select I+II mode I see tripled signal on each channel. Dry + 2 separate repeats, all of them are out of phase so its not like L and R signals are mixed. AFAIK Juno chorus has 2 BBD chips, so how its possible? Is emulation wrong, or I missed something?
giq

Dry + Mod1 + Mod2 = 3 Signals.
Mod1 and Mod2 are phase inverted and different speed.

ImageImage

Question is if the TAL chorus is accurate simulating the Roland chorus.

Anyway, when I set stereo offset to zero in TAL chorus LX the extra waves are in sync between L and R.

"I" gives a slow modulated extra wave and "II" a fast modulated extra wave.

WOK wrote:Dry + Mod1 + Mod2 = 3 Signals.
Mod1 and Mod2 are phase inverted and different speed.
Its not the point...

There are 2 repeats on channel L and another 2 on channel R. Its like there are 4 BBD lines driven by 2 LFOs = ensemble.

Dry = a short pulse wave
Screenshot 2017-08-11 17.31.12.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
giq

The juno has definitely 2 BBDs, modulated from one LFO producing two phase inverted triangles.
Better have a look for some sound samples from the original device to analyze them.
ImageImage

I came across this that might help.
In The Juno 6 manual ( which might be easier to read), the Chorus LFO output is given as...

I = 20Vpp @ 0.4Hz Triangle
II = 20Vpp @ 0.6Hz Triangle
I+II = 2.6Vpp @ 8Hz Sine (low pass filtered triangle)

So I & II are Chorale triangle sweeps and I+II is a shallower Vibrato sweep.
These 3 LFO types are the only differences between the modes I can see.
Also check out this analysis.

https://github.com/pendragon-andyh/Juno ... ter/Chorus

It's been quite some time now and I'm not sure to remember correctly, but when I did the schematic analysis for our Chorus60 I've seen that I+II put the LFO in the same phase increases the frequency and drastically reduces the amount of modulation amplitude.

Saverio

itoa wrote:Im trying to make my chorus sound similar to this in Roland Juno 60.

Since I have no access to Juno 60, I try things on TAL UNO chorus plugin. When I select I+II mode I see tripled signal on each channel. Dry + 2 separate repeats, all of them are out of phase so its not like L and R signals are mixed. AFAIK Juno chorus has 2 BBD chips, so how its possible? Is emulation wrong, or I missed something?
If you just want a similar sound, you could take the samples from the link posted above and simply do the same. With the pulse waves, it is particularly easy to see what is going on, and since the chorus has no knobs you have no parameter dependencies to worry about.

Now if you want the exact J-60 Chorus sound you will need the hardware though. From my experience all famous BBD-based chorus/flanger/ensemble units produce perceptually relevant artifacts on top of the basic modulated delay line.

Richard
Synapse Audio Software - www.synapse-audio.com

I think the analysis has some mistakes (and the sound example I+II sounds like the unit is damaged?)
HoRNet wrote: It's been quite some time now and I'm not sure to remember correctly, but when I did the schematic analysis for our Chorus60 I've seen that I+II put the LFO in the same phase increases the frequency and drastically reduces the amount of modulation amplitude.
From the schematics above I can't see that the phase invertion can be bypassed?
Increasing the LFO frequency though indeed needs to fairly lower the modulation amount. I think the hand written values on the schematics are wrong (or maybe "1 sec" at "I+II" must be ".1 sec"?)
ImageImage

Return to “DSP and Plugin Development”