Compromise mixing and mastering

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

After buying Audio-Technica ATH-M50x headphones, and I listen to my tracks, they are telling me to roll off highs on various sounds in my mix. My other headphones which are AKG K240 Studio, don't sound like I need to roll off highs. And finally my Studio monitors that are JBL LSR305, they tell that I might roll off highs only a little bit. So my question is: Should I be worried that my ATH's tell me to roll off highs, as if these headphones kind of are good to judge highs?

https://soundcloud.com/user-514983803/pay-attention
Here's a track that I mixed by rolling the highs off by trusting the Audio-Technica:

The ATH-M50X are FAR from flat with a boosted smiley curve response in the lows and highs, definitely not recommended for mixing.

I have a pair of ATH-M50X too, and when mixing, I only use them to double-check the bass end of things. I find my monitors (Yamaha HS7) and my open-back headphones (AKG 702) don't fully reveal how much bass is present. I've checked this against other sources and even in a professional studio and have found that I just hear can't how those bass frequencies are overpowering the rest of the mix without those headphones. (Funny too, because I can see it on a spectrum analyzer in my DAW.)

If I can balance the bass on those headphones, the bass works on just about everything else. However, they don't work on the rest of the mix for me.

Moral of the story? Keep testing your mixes on as many other systems and setups as you can (don't forget your car stereo) and take that experience with you when you mix. You don't need perfect monitors or headphones--you just have to know your gear and where to compensate to get the mix right.

I'm feeling like the synths definitely have enough presence but the drums are a little dampened - possibly intentional.

PS. 1:32 = "suck my balls"? :D

Return to “Production Techniques”