Stereo recording acoustic guitar 2 mics in 1 wav file, how to raise volume of one channel?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This may be an option;
22.33 Utility (the utility effect)

- The Gain control adjusts the level of the input signal +/- 35 dB.
- The Channel Mode chooser allows selective processing of the left and right channels of a sample.
If, for example, Left is selected, the right channel is ignored and the left channel appears on
both outputs. This is especially useful if you have a stereo file that contains different information
on both channels and you want to use only one.
- The Panorama chooser pans the signal anywhere in the stereo field.
- The Width control acts as a continuous mono to stereo controller when set from 0 to 100 percent.
However, beyond 100 percent the output starts to ”fold in” on itself. At 200 percent the
output contains only the difference between the left and right channels. If either Left or Right
have been chosen in the Channel Mode chooser, the Width control has no function and is therefore
disabled.
At the bottom of the device you will find two Phase controls, one for each channel. As their
names imply, they invert the phase of each channel
....................Don`t blame me for 'The Roots', I just live here. :x

@annode: you're way too kind. Thanks.

Just for the proper context: Sometimes it's really weird to look for an answer if you're not fully initiated in either the terminology or mechanics of something. Usually some webbrowsing goes a long way but in essence that would render all fora redundant. Somehow I couldn't find the answer I was looking for but aside from looking for a 1 on 1 solution (probably I could've found something in the Kontakt manual as well) it's really helpful to ask other more experienced users to build a broader frame of reference.

I now have multiple angles to look at it, in effect outlining and mapping a vaster area of understanding than if I'd adressed it by following a singular tutorial in a Youtube video or so so once again thanks!

Still I'm curious if it's possible to treat a wavefile as a picture (keep circleing back to this idea of a "lasso tool" like in Photoshop or the likes) and in that way target certain areas. Background of this idea is rooted in the many ways you can EQ like in Izotope's Ozone for eg. (don't have it but am aware of it) as this also has the option to visualize in 2D even 3D and work from that angle. I mean how easy it would be if in my case I could just select the lower waveform with my mouse and click 'gain'. Since stereo recording is so common and there are tools for phase issues, panning, crossovers etc. surely it isn't that far out to think of this?
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

Any other DAW I would expect you could just select an audio channel and choose how to process it. Ableton Live doesn't appear to do that. It's not designed that way.

I may have read in the manual that audio is handled as a stereo file as default, but if you select to record mic input to just the left channel, it will render a dual mono track...something like that, I forget. Give that a try.

Or maybe just use the utility effect to bring one of two channels to center, increase the gain and then bounce that to a dual mono/mono track.

In any case it is pretty odd there are no actual audio editing functions like that.

This is why I suggested recording 2 mono tracks instead of a stereo track. If you select only one input when recording, you get a mono recording. Send input 1 to one track, and input 2 to a second track, you end up with 2 mono files. That's just how Live works. I still don't understand why you would record 2 separate mono sources as a stereo file, and then have to fix the levels. :shrug:

Sheesh, talk about making life difficult for yourself....

There seems to be some misconception. I do record 2 mono tracks and simultaenously I record a stereo track -as I mentioned earlier in this thread. It's not a problem, just exploring some new ways to tweak my workflow. Thought I made that clear.

This question is simply research as in if it's possible to edit a wavefile by visually selecting an area. Apparently it's not possible or an angle nobody though of. Maybe I should patent the idea :)
Win8.1 64x/Live 9/Steinberg UR44/Roland HP 235/Edirol PCR-800/Eastman AC222/Washburn D12/Ch. Les Paul/Behringer BCF2000 & BCR2000/Korg Nanopad 2/Focusrite VRM Box/AT 2020/2xB5/E825s/Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250/Tannoy 502

What you want to do is perfectly possible already ... just not inside Ableton Live, because Live treats audio in a non-destructive manner. Most of us use wave editors to achieve your goal of quick and easy editing.

Of course, you could just record at the right level in the first place :? ;)

Where did I say it's a structural problem when I record and where did I exclude the use of wave editors in my question?

Why is it so hard to understand someone one day runs into a situation, gives it some thought and chooses to learn from it? I thought this also was a discussionboard, not just a Helpdesk..

n/m
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

@thecontrolcentre - I notice that Vic and Bob pix is from a potentially malicious site.
No need to give Spiritos a hard time here. Time to scan your PC or if a Mac time to grow pubic hair. ;)

Apparently I missed something but whatever it was, @annode, thanks!

Just to finish this up nice and tidely. I downloaded the free version of NCH Wavepad and it can do exactly what I asked. Just select a part of the waveform and raise the gain. So simple and straightforward as my initial question and as I expected it to be. Why this answer and thread needed 2 pages is way beyond my comprehension and level of experience..^^

I'm glad you got it all sorted, Spiritos.

I just wanted to add that I didn't see mention of a balance control.

If you have to work with a software mixer, why not route to two separate channels; use a balance control to isolate each channel; force tracks to mono; automate gain.

One forum I just checked suggested that Live's pan control is actual a balance control so that saves using a balance plugin. https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php ... w=previous

Otherwise, something like this might help: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/stereo-tool-by-flux

@Unaspected: Thanks for the additional info! Nice tool to have nevertheless.

Thing is, it never really was a problem but rather a theoretical question as in gaining more understanding of editting possibilities. I am experimenting with stereo recording my guitar and (just to try out different things) I routed those two inputs to a 3rd track while recording, just to see if I prefer two mono ore one stereo track and find my workflow and sometimes one channel has lower gain.

Now there are several options to easily correct this. Either using the (non destructive) gain on the track in Ableton and record the two tracks to a new stereo file 'in the box' or I could adjust it during mixing in arrangement view or use a VST-gain etc.

Obviously it's best to record properly in the first place -which I usually do- but again it was a question for "what if..?". Also I made an improvised booth for recording at home from where I control Ableton with LK on my iPhone and although it's really comfortable & cozy it's also really tiny and I have this "construction" to close the opening with a duvet and a rope to seal it so I'm basically locked in :wink:. So as I'm experimenting and changing with 3 mics on a stand in this tiny space I don't always have the time to go back and forth to my PC and keep measuring the proper distance/inputs nor is all too practical.

Somehow I've noticed this a lot on different 'tech' fora where you just ask a straightforward question and people will either visualize and/or assume situations or come from completely different angles trying to solve an underlying issue that exists only in their perception. Sometimes it's helpfull or funny but when people persist in missing the point it gets annoying -especially when the answer was so simple.

Return to “Production Techniques”