How to make parts fitting in a music ?

Chords, scales, harmony, melody, etc.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, my title is maybe not clear, so let me explain :

I always liked this band, as they master the art of agence very differents elements in a single track and make them fitting perfeclty.

Listen to this music : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afiz_D8XqNY

So if you listen carefully, there is at the beginning a vocal part, then a drop part, then a third part with a different structure and a new melody. Everything is fitting perfectly.
It's not like standard EDM songs, wich I hate, because I feel they are so boring, because most of the times 50% of the song structure is composed of transitions.

Here, in the track I linked, everything is spontaneous, I mean no drops elements are playing in the vocal part in background for example (wich could make the transition very obvious and explain why the parts fit together), but it fits perfectly.

This make the track living, interesting and not boring.

When I try myself, every parts are sounding so weird, they are not fitting at all, and the music is purposeless, disjointed.

So, my question is, have you some tricks to help me ? Is there something special they could do during their songwriting process that could be the solution ?
Thanks !

Experiment with how you transition from one section to the next. Drop something out, or add another element to the bar before the change. Try adding a drum fill, or a vocal sample, for example. Have a listen to how the different elements in this album are joined together ... https://ashfelt.bandcamp.com/album/fat-space-acid

thecontrolcentre wrote:Experiment with how you transition from one section to the next. Drop something out, or add another element to the bar before the change. Try adding a drum fill, or a vocal sample, for example. Have a listen to how the different elements in this album are joined together ... https://ashfelt.bandcamp.com/album/fat-space-acid
Thanks ! I will listen to this album ! :)

For almost all arts, whether it being painting, sculpturing, composing etc., a good place to start when you want to safely do what others do before you can develop your own style, is trying to mimic each and every part of somebody elses work. So you could take a Scootersong and work your way through it and try to make a cover of it. That´ll teach you alot about their methods, structure, techniques and so on.
Best Regards

Roman Empire

There are a lot of ways of going about it, really. But generally, you want to develop a good sense of structure, as well as a good sense of melody if you employ a lot of key changes. You want the song to sound as though the different parts are integral to each other.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Songwriting process? There is none. Its just a backing track that someone threw a short vocal part on.

What daw are you using? If your parts dont connect that could be the source of problem.

I dont know what u mean by no drop elements playing over the vocal part. Why would there be?

I personally dont think the elements of this song fit perfectly. And its nearly all transition so i dont know what u mean there either.

I dont agree what roman empire said bout emulating styles. If you wanna figure out how to make every section work with the next then thats just common sense.you dont need to mimic someone for that.

I don't understand why you say There is no songwriting process...

I have the sense that you didn't write songs before you got a computer and some DAW software and plugins.

The way we learn such a thing is to play some songs, there is no common sense that leads a person to grok the form if they have no prior experience with any. Learn the keyboard part, learn the guitar part, learn the bass part and at least understand the drum part. Cover songs in a band. In the act of doing this, things will dawn on you. Or they won't, not everybody is up to it.

We see this all the time, the frustration of people that never did but they have FL or the like now and there is a mistaken belief, fostered by what I don't know exactly, that they should just start 'producing'. You need to be able to analyze somebody's work, that knew what they were doing. You have no infrastructure built yet. We can't do that for you.

You just need to buy more plugins. I like to buy the same stuff that my music heros are using. That way I can get their sound.

A few things that make things work togheter:
Note choices ( common notes in chords for exemple)
A melody that keeps coming back or that changes over time but that we can still follow so there is common ground and harmonisation of that melody.
Rythmic a strong one that is kept consistantly while you make some obvious changes can help keep things togheter.
Mix of both note choices and Rythmic pattern changing slowly is a very strong ground to evolve on.
And contour. For exemple if going up with the melody keep going up you can make almost any note we predicted what was coming so it passes easily.
Try to find a video from Scott Anderson explaining those things.

Like mentionned before the drumfill just before a new section announces what's coming it's called a lead in it really helps transitiond. It can be done in many ways a solo vocal, a guitar lick, bass n drum and in electronic high and low pass filter sweeps for exemple building up tension and announcing before the new part.

I agree that listening to your favorite artists can greatly help but having a bit of knowledge on what to listen for is a huge must so yeah try to find some ressources on song construction.

Theres is a great vid on youtube on mixing, song construction and energy cant remember who did it.
MXLinux21, 16 Gig RAM, Intel i7 Quad 3.9, Reaper 6.42, Behringer 204HD or Win7 Steinberg MR816x

It would not be hard to write a song, thought Curious George. But it wasn't easy!

Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

IMHO you have to have a decent amount of talent to get away with combining disparate forms or styles into a work.

Even then some may not particularly care for the outcome for whatever reasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HLY6ucn674

:wheee:

NotreDame wrote:I don't understand why you say There is no songwriting process...
It's not a proper song. It's edm. The producer just put together the music and left a space for a vocalist to add their 2c worth. Anyone could've whipped something like this up in 30min.

NotreDame wrote:When I try myself, every parts are sounding so weird, they are not fitting at all, and the music is purposeless, disjointed.
Try again. Make it until you succeed.

what I don't understand is how the example in the first post, which could be made from any EDM Big Room 2014 Instant Festival Superstar Mega Sample Pack construction kit you can get on Beatport Sounds for 8$, is "not like standard EDM songs"?

Return to “Music Theory”