When do you use low-pass-filter in Mixing?

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Aside Reverbs, Delays and MixBus, when do you apply for it?

:phones: :borg:

On electric guitars if it's too much treble. I use low-pass even more when I make dark ambient on sounds that need to be darker even though the sounds them self are not too much treble on.

Basically whenever I feel like it's needed. Which is to cut out the treble on tracks that don't necessarily need it.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Some scenarios:

1 - automating a low-pass before a break section. Used a lot in classic Trance and House.

2 - low-pass drums before different song sections as a transition element.

3 - low-pass the entire track somewhere between 16-17 Khz so it results in better mp3 encoding.
Last edited by dark_virus on Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I end up low passing most hihat samples as they are usually too acutely hissy for my hearing. Perhaps weirdly, I don't find most cymbal samples suffering from the same issue.
Also low pass kick drums just above the 'click'.

Lowpass.. rarely. Shelves ftw.
Mainly if fex. bass is made from two or three parts, I lowpass the sub.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I seldom use LP filter but occasionally I add it on HiHats, claps and other sounds that are too powerful at the very high end.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Rarely lowpass. usually ony heavily distorted sounds that get too noisy and unnatural.

Sometime ago I started using gentle lowpass around 17-20 kHz to ensure nothing goes into supersonic area. At teh same time try to always get prominent high-end as long as it's listenable and not just the hiss.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

I use low pass filters all the time. A bright, brittle mix is a hallmark of inexperienced producers. The only things that need high end presence are the things that will produce the excitement in a mix so don't be afraid to be brutal with getting rid of highs on things don't need to be in your face. It's also a great way to push something back in the mix. Think of RL.. the closer you are to something the more high frequencies you will hear - the further away you go the less you will hear. Just by removing highs you can create depth in a mix..
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I usually prefer a shelve filter instead of high-pass. That's what on the channel strips of all the analog mixing consoles.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

its best for making a PADs sound, dark with automation...or cut thr drum loop on the drop :)) on hi hats too

A "trick" I use is to set a lowpass to hear the main fundamental tones, then add peaking bands to boost stuff in the lowpass' cut range. I guess it's useful because it makes it easier to control the volume of the harmonics.

camsr wrote:A "trick" I use is to set a lowpass to hear the main fundamental tones, then add peaking bands to boost stuff in the lowpass' cut range. I guess it's useful because it makes it easier to control the volume of the harmonics.
That's an interesting approach, thanks for sharing. Sometimes with SlickEQ GE I start with the linear tilt filter to get the overall "distance" right and then adjust with bands from there. This is similar but different; should experiment more with shallow filters...

I generally stick a steep-ish lowpass after any aggressive distortion or bitcrusher treatments to reduce the amount of high-frequency nonsense they are throwing out.

Sometimes I get some peaks at 20khz or higher, placing a decent lp filter around that area with resonance all the way down will trim it off.

I prefer shelves - and the objective is to reduce high end on certain elements to: 1) push them back in the mix to add depth, and 2) leave plenty of space in the top end for the elements that need it , eg: vox, snare, lead synth, hihats - so they're not competing with less worthy things like pads for clarity.

Return to “Production Techniques”