Blue Cats Remote Control to Macro Abletons built in parameters

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I posted time ago a need I had for Ableton Live which I think is one of the main flaws of the DAW.

The lack of possibility on Assining more than 8 Macro controls in 1 device.
So after my search Ive come across Blue Cats Remote Control (I like how this guys do their VST, simple and to the point CPU friendly)

http://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Pr ... teControl/

I guess this is the final solution to set up my gear and somehow Im expecting to finish with this problem and put the hands on the knobs instead of learning how to program in C++ ... (Ive overcome a lot of problems which I thought software and hardware sound manufacturers didnt have).

Well, I want to set up all my instruments in a way I can display them in a screen full of knobs which I can control with my Midi Controller Akai MidiMIX (Mixer like 24x knobs).
So Ive downloaded the demo of this program and Im able to automatize CC controls now in such a simple way.
What Im not able to do is to automatize the Abletons Built in Device parameters, as they dont have a CC# specified Im using the Midi Learn Function and twisting the knobs of the parameters I want to automatize, but this is not working for me.

Do you have any idea if Im doing something wrong? or if this is just not going to work at all and Im loosing time by checking this?

Please let me know if you need more info about my question.

Thank you for the replies.
Ableton Live 9 ¦¦ Akai Midi Mix (+ Isotonik Studios Script),Akai MPK Mini ¦¦ Korg Volca Bass,Arturia MicroBrute ¦¦ Avid Mbox 2
These are just the cooking items, but the ingredients are the ideas.
Once you master your gear, focus on your ideas.

Thank you for your interest in our software. We are not experts of the built-in Live devices, but I guess you have to route the MIDI messages from the Remote Control to the devices at some point. Have you tried creating a MIDI track to connect them together?

Bit of a necro bump but I'm trying to do exactly the same thing - I can't get Ableton to recognise the 'virtual' midi sliders in Remote Control as being actual controllers to control any native device's parameters using Ableton's MIDI Map Mode.

I've recorded some automation of the first slider (C1) and set it to output values for Channel 1 CC#50. I can see that's it's recorded that automation as the slider goes up and down when I play back the arrangement. So all looks good so far.

However if I then create a second midi track and put (for example) the Operator synth on it, I want to then assign Remote Controls's C1 slider to control the volume level of the first operator.

What I expect to happen: Click on Ableton's MIDI Map Mode whilst the automation of the C1 slider is playing back, and click the volume level of the first Operator - It then will assign that dial to listen to the midi signal 'Channel 1 CC#50'.

What actually happens: Absolutely nothing!

It's like Ableton know's it's not a real hardware midi device so refuses to use the Midi Map Mode

After looking around the solution was to install a Virtual Midi Driver (IAC driver on Mac, LoopMidi or LoopBe for Windows)

After installing LoopBe and enabling LoopBe Input and Output midi ports as Remote and Track Devices in the user preferences I created two blank/dummy Midi tracks

On Midi track 1, I dragged on the Blue Cats Remote vst and recorded some automation as above, and mapped the C1 output to send midi data to Channel 1 CC#50 (obviously you can set your own midi channel and CC value)

On Midi track 2, I set 'Midi From' input to point to 'Midi track 1' (the track with the Remote Control on it), and the Input Channel to 'Blue Cats Remote Control'. And the 'Midi To' to LoopBe Internal Midi, channel 1, and ensured Arm Session Recording was turned on

For clarity this is what the above looked like:

Then, when hitting play on my automated clip of me sliding C1 up and down, and turning to midi map mode (CTRL-M), then clicking the Ableton parameter I wanted to map, it correctly assigned that parameter to Channel 1 CC#50.

Yay .... It's kinda a long way round but hey it works !

Thanks for posting this workaround!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”