Sound modules

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are there any sound modules that play sfz files?

What I'd like is a way to use an external device without relying on a computer.

Preferably something that uses sd cards for memory.

Thanks

Hi djmino02

At the proper price a small module that does low latency hifi job of that would be nice, I didn't hear of a box doing exactly that but do not stay current on all the brands both famous and obscure.

There have been more than one hardware boxes built to play vst plugins. I read about them a bit but do not recall details. Was not so interested in that, especially at the price points (not obscenely expensive but higher than my "impulse buy" price threshold, which is low because I'm a tightwad.)

Presumably a vst player box compatible with an sfz player vst might accomplish what you want. I don't know all the current nicest sampler VST's, but even SampleTank 3 running on a vst player box might be nice enough.

It has been years since studying various sample formats. Some samplers not supporting the entire sfz vocabulary (such as soundfont players) might import enough of an sfz to not sound completely bad, ignoring features it doesn't understand. On the other hand maybe many quite good sfz sounds have been made without specifying every parameter which is possible to specify. I do not know how "elaborate" is the programming of a typical sfz out in the wild.

The earlier sf2 soundfonts were based on a very simplified synthesizer structure, with not many parameters defining the envelopes, filters, etc. So if you wanted a fancy-sounding soundfont, most of the sound programming had to be burned-in to the samples because the playback engine had limited parms with which to modify the samples at playback.

Then came dls (downloadable sounds) which so far as I recall were simplified more than soundfont, even less you could to to save bad samples with envelopes and filters.

"Fully implemented" sfz has many adjustable parameters, many more ways to modify however the raw samples sound.

But quite a few soft samplers or sample players (so far as I know) will do as best possible to import a variety of formats. Maybe one could run across sfz files which are just sf2 or DLS imported to a sampler and then exported to sfz, in which case the sfz would be no more "detailed" than the parent soundfont unless whoever did the conversion also adjusted extra parameters before exporting the sfz?

There are scads of high quality orphaned giga samples. When gigasampler was alive quite a few film folks paid the big bucks recording orch sessions and porting them to giga format. There are at least two third party giga player plugins last time I looked.

Just thinking, with SSD so cheap nowadays, a little box with SSD, usb stick port, SD card port, and ability to play sf2, DLS, sfz, and giga-- Hell if it didn't cost a fortune I might buy something like that.

Yeah. As far as I know the best thing available would be an app for iOS or Android.

https://www.bismark.jp/bs-16i

my other modular synth is a bugbrand

Cool. After searching rasp pi sfz, I found Zynthian.

This thing looks pretty intriguing.

Behold Zynthian http://zynthian.org/

Everything is a computer. Smart Phones are computers, modules are computers workstations are computers.

If you are looking for a rack mount with plenty of money to throw around you may consider KVR's sponsor... http://www.museresearch.com/ Though they are stopping hardware production and intend to market it to other companies as they did with musebox.

I too tried to get out of the box while mantaining the features of being in the box. Honestly not worth it. A windows tablet makes much more sense if you want a small form factor
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

djmino02 wrote:Cool. After searching rasp pi sfz, I found Zynthian.

This thing looks pretty intriguing.

Behold Zynthian http://zynthian.org/
Uhu, seems pretty cool indeed!
I'm only not that handy in assembling, I'm a total electro n00b.
Get In Touch^^ Instagram, BandCamp, SoundCloud, Spotify, iTunes,....

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”