A new Eventide / Newfangled Free Plugin

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
EQuivocate

Very nice design and GUI Dan. Any chance that a resizable (larger) GUI will be implemented at some point in the future?

jens wrote::hihi:

TBH I think I never heard a complete track from that guy - I basically only know him from his endorsements (presets, etc.) which are not my cup of tea at all - whenever I try one of his presets I use to wonder "what the f**k are people gonna do with that?" - I applaude you if you can make good use of them. :lol:

It's completely over the top for me for the most part of it - and not in a good - or useable - way.
Yeah, well, his stuff is heavily processed and largely experimental, but it's definitely not trance. In any case, his stuff isn't usually my cup of tea either but it's not bad by a long shot.

From his 1995 EP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWl0pzrB-SE

He has a soundcloud as well

https://soundcloud.com/richarddevine

I take your point though, his presets tend to be exaggerated. I don't often find them that useful either, although, to be fair, I create my own presets that other people probably find over the top and useless that I find quite useful in my own obnoxious experimental and annoying work.

That said, and to get back on topic, I'm not really sure that I give a shit about anyone's presets in an EQ like this.

DGillespie wrote: Hi Teksonik,
Sorry, the latency is part of it. It's really a mixing and mastering tool, so latency compensation shouldn't be a problem, right?
Sorry I didn't read that it's a mastering EQ. I just downloaded, installed and went to town. I was hoping to use it on my guitar signal but obviously that's not possible. I've just never experienced Latency that bad on any of the other EQs or hundreds of other plugins I own and use.
DGillespie wrote:The CPU usage is probably related to the meters. It uses the GPU to render the meters but if you don't have one (*cough* 13" Mac book) you'll have to turn the meters of using the METERS button in the preset bar.

Dan (from Newfangled Audio)
I have a 2 GB Nvidia GPU card but I'll try turning off the Meters to see if that helps. Like I said it destroyed my i7 3770K on the Master of a relatively simple project. I've put it on other projects and it works although at a cost.

Thanks for your response and thank you for your generosity. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, simply reporting what I've found here so far. I'll keep working with it... :)
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

lachrimae wrote:Very nice design and GUI Dan. Any chance that a resizable (larger) GUI will be implemented at some point in the future?
One of the earlier versions was resizable, but I couldn't get this working with the OpenGL meters. I may have to try again at some point. It might be more possible to do a FabFilter style resize than a Valhalla style resize.
Dan Gillespie from Newfangled Audio (and sometimes Eventide)

Teksonik wrote:
Sorry I didn't read that it's a mastering EQ. I just downloaded, installed and went to town. I was hoping to use it on my guitar signal but obviously that's not possible. I've just never experienced Latency that bad on any of the other EQs or hundreds of other plugins I own and use.
Yeah, all these things are trade offs. One of the reasons it'll sound different from your other EQs is because it uses different filters, which unfortunately have latency. But delay compensation is a wonderful thing.
Teksonik wrote:
I have a 2 GB Nvidia GPU card but I'll try turning off the Meters to see if that helps. Like I said it destroyed my i7 3770K on the Master of a relatively simple project. I've put it on other projects and it works although at a cost.

Thanks for your response and thank you for your generosity. I'm not trying to sound ungrateful, simply reporting what I've found here so far. I'll keep working with it... :)
It's true that it's not as cheap as simple biquad EQs either, but it shouldn't crush any modern CPU by itself. It uses a couple percent on my machine. If you're still getting a lot of CPU issues, please contact Eventide support as well, because if there's a bug, I'd like to fix it.

And, of course you're allowed to have your opinion, and to share it as you please. I just want to make sure that if there's a simple fix for someones issue, they know about it (like the METERS button).

I'd just like to mention that I've known Richard Devine for years. The reason everyone wants him to make presets for their thing is because he's a sound design genius, and the reason he does it is because he's a total sweetheart. Take a look at Richard Devine's presets in this plug-in (or any piece of gear) and you'll almost certainly learn about something that you didn't know it could do.

ghettosynth wrote:
From his 1995 EP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWl0pzrB-SE

You know, that's actually quite beautiful - still not really being my cup of tea, but with that in mind the presets start to make more sense...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Is it me, or this plugin sounds very good? I mean: I went through a few presets while listening to a loop and it sounded very "hi-fi", even with extreme presets (like telephone). I didn't use my best monitors (I listened through the HS50), but my first impression is very positive.

I also wonder what we could expect after the giveaway...
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

DGillespie wrote: you'll almost certainly learn about something that you didn't know it could do.
Perhaps that's the best way to use them... makes sense actually.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

sin night wrote:Is it me, or this plugin sounds very good?
No, it's certainly not just you - it does have a strong tendency to sound marvellous indeed.

jens wrote::hihi:

TBH I think I never heard a complete track from that guy - I basically only know him from his endorsements (presets, etc.) which are not my cup of tea at all - whenever I try one of his presets I use to wonder "what the f**k are people gonna do with that?" - I applaude you if you can make good use of them. :lol:

It's completely over the top for me for the most part of it - and not in a good - or useable - way.
To be fair and to be honest about his work.. I personally do find most of what I've heard a bit 'sterile' if that's the right word - technically impressive and accomplished but musically it doesn't touch me much. Others who do similar work I find far more engaging - Autechre comes to mind.

I did master one of his tracks for a compilation about 2 years back..
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

DGillespie wrote:
lachrimae wrote:Very nice design and GUI Dan. Any chance that a resizable (larger) GUI will be implemented at some point in the future?
One of the earlier versions was resizable, but I couldn't get this working with the OpenGL meters. I may have to try again at some point. It might be more possible to do a FabFilter style resize than a Valhalla style resize.
Dan,
Thanks for this plug-in. I'm looking forward to trying it out tonight.

Which version of OpenGL do we need to have for the meters to work properly?

The meters themselves shouldn't be a problem for me, but like many here, I use the video "chip"/card that Intel includes in its motherboards; I don't use a dedicated video card (for various reasons). The Intel video cards support OpenGL, but different versions of the card support different versions of OpenGL, as you can imagine. So, if we knew which version we'd need at a minimum, we'd have a better idea of any problems we might have.

Thanks again!

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Thanks for this Dan,

I have found instant uses for it. The match EQ function is something I have wanted for a long time and it seems to work brilliantly. a real keeper.

Cheers.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

The Eq matching of this thing is really something! I'd pay 99$ for this most brilliant plugin in a heartbeat.
"People are stupid" Gegard Mousasi.

DGillespie wrote: Yeah, all these things are trade offs. One of the reasons it'll sound different from your other EQs is because it uses different filters, which unfortunately have latency.
Don't confuse different with better......... :wink:
DGillespie wrote:But delay compensation is a wonderful thing.
It's more wonderful when you don't have to use it.......
DGillespie wrote:If you're still getting a lot of CPU issues, please contact Eventide support as well, because if there's a bug, I'd like to fix it.
Not interested in Beta Testing. It's possible it could be DAW related but again not going to spend any more time with it....
DGillespie wrote: if there's a simple fix for someones issue, they know about it (like the METERS button).
The METERS button had no effect on CPU hence no fix.

Ok I've installed this EQ on a second system and had a go. It's simply not for me. Not impressed with the sound or performance so I'm out.

But thank you again for your generosity and the generosity of Eventide. Good luck going forward. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Return to “Effects”