Interference/noise when plugging in MicroKorg XL in with both audio cables and midi cable

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all
I recently bought a MicroKorg XL to use as a MIDI controller in my DAW (MuLab). It works fine as a MIDI controller to play my VSTs but I have a problem.

I wrote out a MIDI sequence which was too difficult to play and set up the DAW to send the MIDI data to my MicroKorg so it could play it with its own patches. However, when I plug the MicroKorg into the audio interface, I get terrible digital interference in my headphones.

Have I broken a rule or something? Can I not have both plugged in at the same time? It's fine if I just put the headphones straight into the MicroKorg but I wanted to hear it with some other tracks playing. Is there any way of fixing this?

I planned to do something like this live - I play the guitar and keyboard at different times and I wanted to have the MicroKorg play some pre-written sequences from the DAW while I'm playing guitar.

Anybody?

Probably a hum destroyer / ground loop isolator on the audio cable will do the trick. Galvanic isolation is needed, since the usb connection causes these troubles.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I had this happen many years ago and the solution was to plug the power cords into the same outlet so they had the same ground. It's interesting that 2 outlets in the same room can have different ground potentials. Hopefully this is what is happening and is easily fixed. An Ebtech or Behringer hum eliminator may help as well.
I always bring a hum eliminator to gigs for just that reason. Some laptops also just have ground problems.
"All generalizations are false".
"Don't quantize me bro"!

I know this was 4 years ago... But I've just reproduced exactly the same problem. I'm hearing what I'm
assuming is the Midi info being sent from the MicroKorg, since I've never heard it before and it's my
first time working with Midi Ins and Outs. It's just a very regular clicking sound, about 3 clicks per second.

Did you ever figure out exactly what was wrong, or more specifically, how to stop it?

:?:

See if any cables carrying an electricity supply go anywhere near cables carrying audio or MIDI. If they do, see if they can be separated further, and, it not, see if they can be arranged to pass each other at right angles.
[W10-64, T5/6/7/W8/9/10/11/12/13, 32(to W8)&64 all, Spike],[W7-32, T5/6/7/W8, Gina16] everything underused.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”