Making subtle "background" cinematic music (not in-your-face dramatic ones)-who inspires you / tuts?

How to make that sound...
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've just got Albion One and am hoping to start composing some cinematic music.
I'm looking at producing more subtle, background tracks rather than in-your-face dramatic tracks.
Who do you listen to who impresses you in this area? I'm looking for inspiration.
Also, are there any good tutorials out there?

The Birds
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Alexandre Desplat. I really love what he did for 'Syriana', so much actually that I remember his name years after having watched that movie.

perhaps a bit off-topic, but I was as « background » cinematic feel or alike rather mesmerized by some productions of Klaus Schulze during the golden ages of German « space » music from the early seventies !

- for instance :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXMP-vjkvgQ

the peculiar passage that begins at 32’00’’ (the 2nd track : « mental door ») that with the mono synth and the drums together, has a kind of « warrior » and in-your-face feel that becomes at about 36’50’’ subtly surrounded by this background harmony that IMO induce nostalgia and a sweet, intoxicating, undefined sadness

this suddenly gives you an undefined distance towards the « here and now » frontal improvised melody, a very subtle addition into the background that changes the overall atmosphere deeply !

Cliff Martinez - Solaris (2002)
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Gone Girl and The Social Network
Moby's remix of his own "Anthem" for the Miami Vice movie is pretty tense. I like it.

Jeremy Soule, who did (among other things) the soundtracks for The Elder Scrolls games, Icewind Dale, Neverwinter Nights, Knights of the Old Republic, etc. Yeah, he does the whole epic boss battle thing, but so many of his more underscore-ish tracks (stuff for forests, caves, dungeons, towns, etc in RPGs) are pretty great, and I often use his music during my D&D sessions because it is so suitable without being in your face and distracting.

I haven't kept up with modern games but I loved his work in Neverwinter Nights.

Return to “Sound Design”