Matching eq for restoration job

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm making a short film, the sound man missed a couple of lines, so I need to try and improve the audio captured from the dslr. I think all I can really do is de-verb and eq, as the audio from the camera sounds distant and tinny.

Anyway, I'm after an eq that can simply use my good audio (clean dialogue) as a reference, then automatically eq the bad audio to match it.

What do you guys use to accomplish this task?

Thanks.

Pro-Q 2 has an automatic EQ-matching feature. However, it is probable that the EQ-matching will not have the outcome you desire, given the situation you described.

+1 for Pro Q2. Also Izotope Ozone 7 has a matching EQ. Logic Pro X has a matching EQ. You may also want to look at Zynaptiq Unveil, this may be more what you are looking for, but it is expensive - there is a trial version though.

virtualpt wrote:+1 for Pro Q2. Also Izotope Ozone 7 has a matching EQ. Logic Pro X has a matching EQ. You may also want to look at Zynaptiq Unveil, this may be more what you are looking for, but it is expensive - there is a trial version though.
For sure, something with a 2 week trial (or something) would be great, it's literally for a couple of sentences. :oops:

Plugin Alliance DSM V2
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

You could try the trial of Izotope RX6 - it's basically all the tools for this in one box, plus an Ambience Matcher, though that probably won't be needed here as the audio was on location. I think the trial is 10 days without restrictions (though I'm not sure if it injects a periodic silence, which might make rendering a bit more long-winded).

You may find you need some dynamic EQ and decompression to deal with the effects of AGC on the DSLR's mic (if the camera uses that). De-verb may have trouble on its own in that event.

For sure, RX6 might be the one to look at, seeing as it's a whole suite of effects. It's not going to come out 'good'... (it's slightly distorted too), I just need to improve it the best I can because I've got no choice really. It's set in a forest, so I'll be adding bird noises and such on a separate audio track, so that'll help a bit.

Try Acon Digital's DeFilter. Sounds like what you're looking for.

https://acondigital.com/products/defilter/
Brian Garrison
Tracks In The Box
YouTube | Facebook

another vote for Izotope RX.

its truely amazing checkout youtube

i bought RX element and for what u said this will help tremendously
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

also Most Daws have already a stock Match EQ plugin
If your plugin is a Synth-edit/synth-maker creation, Say So.
If not Make a Mac version of your Plugins Please.

https://soundcloud.com/realmarco

...everyone is out to get me!!!!!!!

Eventide: EQuivocate by Newfangled Audio :)
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:Eventide: EQuivocate by Newfangled Audio :)
which is also FREE right now :party: So nothing to lose there!

an-electric-heart wrote:It's not going to come out 'good'... (it's slightly distorted too),
RX can deal with clipped signal very effectively too. It has a specific module just for that.

I had to rescue over an hour of distorted movie dialog and RX solved the issue in a few minutes. The Neanderthal audio engineers from the 1990s would describe this as magic. :D
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Any Eq that does a decent "matching" job will do, but it can't work miracles. They can boost frequencies that are softer in comparison, but if the frequencies are non-existent in the recording, there's bugger all they can do to help. They should get you closer though.

Given that Equivocate is free right now it's really a no-brainer to get your hands on to help you out in this respect. Although, another eq worth considering the Plugin Alliance DSM. Check out the demo vid on their site, it's a bit old, but it features quite an impressive demonstration.

I'd also recommend doing a little additional processing to the dialogue on the whole if you want that "professional" sound.

Return to “Effects”