Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Greetings,

If you are doing techno or deep what do you think about waves plugins such as Renaissance, API 2500 , C6 Multiband and CLA 2A/76 in terms of compressing bass,kick and synths?

https://youtu.be/dtj6dDARgfQ?t=30s

:D

But more seriously - if it sounds good, it's good.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

There's absolutely no reason not to try any of these compressors, or any other compressor when making Techno or Deep House. If you like what they're doing to your music then use them.

Whats "Deep" ?
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

ckargi wrote:Greetings,

If you are doing techno or deep what do you think about waves plugins such as Renaissance, API 2500 , C6 Multiband and CLA 2A/76 in terms of compressing bass,kick and synths?
I don't rate many Waves comps. Audiotrack and the Linear Phase Multiband are the only ones I like pretty much. The style of music you make is probably not too relevant - try each compressor and see if it does what you're after. When I write techno I try not to use compression on individual channels too much because it tends to suck the energy out of the source. I like using it over a whole mix though.
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

I've tried a couple of waves compressors and liked the Api 2500 the most, followed by the LA2A emulation. Api is pretty flexible and has a nice character. LA2A has a nice character. If you're not looking for a comp that colors, then I'd recommend the Fabfilter compressor and the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov compressor (don't let the price fool you).

for me with waves comps it's all about the dpr-402, dbx 160 and sometimes kramer pie.

not sure why the crowd is so silent about the dpr, I think it's quite amazing.

Halonmusic wrote:Whats "Deep" ?
Deep is whatever you understand from deep.

do_androids_dream wrote:
I don't rate many Waves comps. Audiotrack and the Linear Phase Multiband are the only ones I like pretty much. The style of music you make is probably not too relevant - try each compressor and see if it does what you're after. When I write techno I try not to use compression on individual channels too much because it tends to suck the energy out of the source. I like using it over a whole mix though.

Using in whole mix? Do you mean bus mix or mastering or something else? I am looking for something which makes kicks more deep and solid. For bass, I need something which adds some color and loudness together while not taking its energy away.

Thanks for the reply btw.

Moosy_Moose wrote:I've tried a couple of waves compressors and liked the Api 2500 the most, followed by the LA2A emulation. Api is pretty flexible and has a nice character. LA2A has a nice character. If you're not looking for a comp that colors, then I'd recommend the Fabfilter compressor and the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov compressor (don't let the price fool you).
I heard that api2500 is great compressor but I wonder how it works on mono channels such as bass and kickdrums.

They surely can be used, but for those genres more modern tools might get you faster: Ni Supercharger GT, Elysia Karacter, U.he presswerk, Fabfilter ProC2.

Nevertheless any DB160 emulation will be very useful to enhance drums.
dedication to flying

ckargi wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

Using in whole mix? Do you mean bus mix or mastering or something else? I am looking for something which makes kicks more deep and solid. For bass, I need something which adds some color and loudness together while not taking its energy away.

Thanks for the reply btw.
To be honest.. I would just use a different kick rather than try to process something that wasn't 99% there already.. But, if you want to clamp down the thump, solidity, then a coloured limiter might be better. Audiotrack, imo, is also a good choice for this. Sometimes using a transient enhancer going into a limiter is a good way to do it too.

For colour (kick or bass) I would use saturation - or a compressor that has a strong saturated colour. My absolute favourite for this - before I went all 64 bit - was digitalfishphones Blockfish. Now, if I want colour I use T Racks Opto Compressor - highly underrated processor that nearly always sounds good.

Yes, I meant master buss compression. I like to use it creatively with techno. I honestly don't have enough individual tracks within an average techno track to buss anything..
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote: To be honest.. I would just use a different kick rather than try to process something that wasn't 99% there already...
100% agree with this!

Personally every time I've tried to add some "magic" to a kick drum with a vintage style compressor or EQ I've just thought "meh" to be honest. Other's may have had better results. I much prefer to get the kick sound I want through layering samples.

ckargi wrote:
Moosy_Moose wrote:I've tried a couple of waves compressors and liked the Api 2500 the most, followed by the LA2A emulation. Api is pretty flexible and has a nice character. LA2A has a nice character. If you're not looking for a comp that colors, then I'd recommend the Fabfilter compressor and the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov compressor (don't let the price fool you).
I heard that api2500 is great compressor but I wonder how it works on mono channels such as bass and kickdrums.
It comes in a stereo and mono version. So you're using the plugin on a mono track just slap the corresponding version on it and you're good to go.

I would say Alesis 3630 in plugin form :hihi:

Return to “Effects”