Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 NewWhat is KVR? Submit News Advertise

Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

ckargi
KVRer

5 posts since 19 Aug, 2017

Postby ckargi; Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:57 am Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

Greetings,

If you are doing techno or deep what do you think about waves plugins such as Renaissance, API 2500 , C6 Multiband and CLA 2A/76 in terms of compressing bass,kick and synths?
antic604
KVRist

329 posts since 4 Jan, 2017, from Warsaw, Poland

Postby antic604; Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:59 am Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

https://youtu.be/dtj6dDARgfQ?t=30s

:D

But more seriously - if it sounds good, it's good.
Music: https://soundcloud.com/antic604
Hardware: Surface Pro 4 i7 8/256GB, Arturia Minilab, Bayerdynamic DT990 Pro
DAWs: Bitwig 2, Live 9 Suite, Studio One 3 Pro
Plugins: Bazille, Reaktor 6, Codex, Element 2.0, Phoscyon, Neutron 2, H-Series Bundle
andymcbain
KVRist

101 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Postby andymcbain; Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:41 am Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

There's absolutely no reason not to try any of these compressors, or any other compressor when making Techno or Deep House. If you like what they're doing to your music then use them.
Halonmusic
KVRist

426 posts since 13 Nov, 2015, from Norway

Postby Halonmusic; Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:13 am Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

Whats "Deep" ?
do_androids_dream
KVRAF

2653 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from Kent, UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:19 am Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

ckargi wrote:Greetings,

If you are doing techno or deep what do you think about waves plugins such as Renaissance, API 2500 , C6 Multiband and CLA 2A/76 in terms of compressing bass,kick and synths?

I don't rate many Waves comps. Audiotrack and the Linear Phase Multiband are the only ones I like pretty much. The style of music you make is probably not too relevant - try each compressor and see if it does what you're after. When I write techno I try not to use compression on individual channels too much because it tends to suck the energy out of the source. I like using it over a whole mix though.
Moosy_Moose
KVRist

46 posts since 8 Sep, 2016

Postby Moosy_Moose; Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:24 am Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

I've tried a couple of waves compressors and liked the Api 2500 the most, followed by the LA2A emulation. Api is pretty flexible and has a nice character. LA2A has a nice character. If you're not looking for a comp that colors, then I'd recommend the Fabfilter compressor and the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov compressor (don't let the price fool you).
acYm
KVRian

510 posts since 11 Sep, 2015

Postby acYm; Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:08 pm Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

for me with waves comps it's all about the dpr-402, dbx 160 and sometimes kramer pie.

not sure why the crowd is so silent about the dpr, I think it's quite amazing.
ckargi
KVRer

Postby ckargi; Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:09 pm Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

Halonmusic wrote:Whats "Deep" ?

Deep is whatever you understand from deep.
ckargi
KVRer

Postby ckargi; Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 pm Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

do_androids_dream wrote:
I don't rate many Waves comps. Audiotrack and the Linear Phase Multiband are the only ones I like pretty much. The style of music you make is probably not too relevant - try each compressor and see if it does what you're after. When I write techno I try not to use compression on individual channels too much because it tends to suck the energy out of the source. I like using it over a whole mix though.

Using in whole mix? Do you mean bus mix or mastering or something else? I am looking for something which makes kicks more deep and solid. For bass, I need something which adds some color and loudness together while not taking its energy away.

Thanks for the reply btw.
ckargi
KVRer

Postby ckargi; Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:15 pm Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

Moosy_Moose wrote:I've tried a couple of waves compressors and liked the Api 2500 the most, followed by the LA2A emulation. Api is pretty flexible and has a nice character. LA2A has a nice character. If you're not looking for a comp that colors, then I'd recommend the Fabfilter compressor and the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov compressor (don't let the price fool you).

I heard that api2500 is great compressor but I wonder how it works on mono channels such as bass and kickdrums.
rod_zero
KVRAF

2408 posts since 28 Jan, 2011, from MEXICO

Postby rod_zero; Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:04 pm Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

They surely can be used, but for those genres more modern tools might get you faster: Ni Supercharger GT, Elysia Karacter, U.he presswerk, Fabfilter ProC2.

Nevertheless any DB160 emulation will be very useful to enhance drums.
dedication to flying
do_androids_dream
KVRAF

2653 posts since 26 Oct, 2007, from Kent, UK

Postby do_androids_dream; Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:13 pm Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

ckargi wrote:
do_androids_dream wrote:

Using in whole mix? Do you mean bus mix or mastering or something else? I am looking for something which makes kicks more deep and solid. For bass, I need something which adds some color and loudness together while not taking its energy away.

Thanks for the reply btw.

To be honest.. I would just use a different kick rather than try to process something that wasn't 99% there already.. But, if you want to clamp down the thump, solidity, then a coloured limiter might be better. Audiotrack, imo, is also a good choice for this. Sometimes using a transient enhancer going into a limiter is a good way to do it too.

For colour (kick or bass) I would use saturation - or a compressor that has a strong saturated colour. My absolute favourite for this - before I went all 64 bit - was digitalfishphones Blockfish. Now, if I want colour I use T Racks Opto Compressor - highly underrated processor that nearly always sounds good.

Yes, I meant master buss compression. I like to use it creatively with techno. I honestly don't have enough individual tracks within an average techno track to buss anything..
andymcbain
KVRist

101 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Postby andymcbain; Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:27 am Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

do_androids_dream wrote:To be honest.. I would just use a different kick rather than try to process something that wasn't 99% there already...

100% agree with this!

Personally every time I've tried to add some "magic" to a kick drum with a vintage style compressor or EQ I've just thought "meh" to be honest. Other's may have had better results. I much prefer to get the kick sound I want through layering samples.
Moosy_Moose
KVRist

46 posts since 8 Sep, 2016

Postby Moosy_Moose; Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:55 am Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

ckargi wrote:
Moosy_Moose wrote:I've tried a couple of waves compressors and liked the Api 2500 the most, followed by the LA2A emulation. Api is pretty flexible and has a nice character. LA2A has a nice character. If you're not looking for a comp that colors, then I'd recommend the Fabfilter compressor and the Tokyo Dawn Kotelnikov compressor (don't let the price fool you).

I heard that api2500 is great compressor but I wonder how it works on mono channels such as bass and kickdrums.

It comes in a stereo and mono version. So you're using the plugin on a mono track just slap the corresponding version on it and you're good to go.
bidule
KVRer

19 posts since 30 Aug, 2017

Postby bidule; Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:21 am Re: Waves Compressors on Techno and Deep.

I would say Alesis 3630 in plugin form :hihi:

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Effects