Software synth similar to Waldorf Blofeld?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

It seems that a lot of these hardware and software synths are liked/sold based on the time spent by manufacturers and devs on the presets.

The presets is very important factor in the synth IMO, even if you know how to design your own!

I have also Largo and once I compared the wavetables. They are exactly the same! Even the same order exactly! So, Largo is like the perfect GUI front for blofeld (except of the PPG filter and the samples as mentioned). So, Yes, you can achieve the same results in Largo that don't involve the PPG filter or samples.

Hemmick Reef wrote:How about the general punchiness or thickness in the sound, can hey both sound the same or could you always pick the hardware over the software?
I think the Blofeld has something Largo doesn't... also, that is a particularly good soundset.

I've listened to the Blofeld a fair bit, but have not owned one. Of the softsynths I own or have used (never had Largo) I would pick Icarus to emulate the Blofeld.

I think it has enough equivalent features including user wavetable import, 3 osc's, 2 filters with a wide variety of filter types, 3 lfo's, AM, FM, RM, etc.

Obviously they are different synths from different companies, but they remind me of each other and to me have a similar sonic character... bright, punchy and digital.

What difference do those PPG filters make?
Last edited by Sound Mechanics on Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Just like any other filter - it sounds different and responds different, has different resonance, etc.

it is more punchy than the 'normal' 12db or 24db. I don't know it is different, but I like it ;) I might make some examples tomorrow and post them, but really it shouldn't make a difference in your decision. It is not the only deciding factor between Largo and Blofeld.

Still, IMO, you can't find this Waldorf 'character' easily in another synth. Here, Largo and Blofeld both can do such big sounds that Waldorf famous of. So, the nearest soft synth to Blofeld is Largo, which has this Waldorf sound (that you are looking for I guess!).

Here is a great video explaining the Blofeld (I like his videos, very informative). All the parameters he is using in his video are available in Largo. Unfortunately, he didn't play with the PPG filter, but I think he talked about it. Anyway, as I expected, it is really not only the filter, there are many factors and the most important is the wavetable kind and how different modulations used:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLp9CNcH_AU

Interesting video, thanks.

Hemmick Reef wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

I'll check Largo but from the videos and sound samples it doesn't seem to have the punch and powerful sound like Blofeld?

I'm wanting more form Largo in the videos I've watched :?

But Blofeld seems to :o
You are comparing both with a soundset for Blofeld specifically made to sound that way, and very good synth programmer too.

Largo can sound as good, but it will take time to learn how to get there.

If you want instant "warmth" just get U-he Diva, it emulates more closely a Juno, one of the synths that inspired a lot of those patches you are hearing in the Blofeld soundset.
dedication to flying

Yep, I know a lot of it is down to knowing the synth well and its capabilities.... and also being good at sound design!

To Op : Here are a few examples from Largo that you might have missed. Not similar to the video you posted unfortunately, cos it's only one preset per clip, and I took different sound design directions but well ....

World of L 1
World of L 2
World of L 3
World of L 4

Note : The soundbank can be found somewhere on Waldorf site iirc

Now, ime, nothing will come closer to the Blofeld than largo. Also, maybe what you liked was the specific *faux analog feel* that you can make with Blofeld/Largo, like you can fake analog with many soft/hw synths. But with Largo, all those pseudo analog patches will be printed with largo character (and it has a lot). In this case, Largo might definitely be the one for you. Now, if you're looking for more accurate analog emulations, but with plenty of modulations and innovations that set them apart from more common ones, like in Largo, you could demo Xils synths like Syn'X, Oxium or the Xils 4. They combine 'this' ancient sound with modern or never seen features. Or Madrona Labs Aalto.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Lotuzia wrote:Here are a few examples from Largo that you might have missed. Not similar to the video you posted unfortunately, cos it's only one preset per clip, and I took different sound design directions...
So not relevant then, just spam for a soundbank.

The op will decide if it's relevant, or not imho. I know some people think that posting real music and sound clips on an instrument forum is a *criminal* idea though ... 8)
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Thanks for the samples 'Lotuzia', they sound pretty good.

Actually after listening to several videos on youtube of Largo and Blofeld, each video seems different and it depends on the presets chosen and how they are played.

In the end I think Largo can sound just as good as Blofeld with certain presets, and they both seem to have a similar power/punch within the sound.

Thanks all for the comments :)

If importing of user wavetables is important to you (which provides an essentially endless sonic potential), then Largo is missing it. For me, that is a highly desireable feature, especially these days when it is so easy to create ones own wavetables.

Return to “Instruments”