Thorn: Dmitry Sches' new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
DS Audio Thorn Thorn Pro Expansion (Thorn Presets)

wagtunes wrote: Point is, that huge screen isn't going to help me one bit if those GUis are all the size of pin heads.
Once again, GUI size is not an issue here. I don't care about what you saw on YouBoob, all I can say with 100% accuracy and honesty is that GUI Size...including Thorn....is not an issue here....on two different monitors and systems. I don't have to "Zoom" anything. You're either confused about the issue or over complicating it.... :shrug:

Simply put a solution already exists beyond having to post about your GUI problems and begging every small developer to support your system spec. Here's an idea, go to a local store and pick out a new monitor, ask the staff for recommendations, take it home and see for yourself. If it doesn't work for you take it back. It's the only way you'll know for sure.

Alternatively, AnX says he has no problem with GUI's on his 17" monitor so maybe he can help you figure something out....

Bottom line is there are only a handful of people who constantly complain about GUI size.....there is a reason for that. :wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

So, what genres is it meant for? Only electronic stuff?
Or can it also be used for emulating real instruments well? Never used a synth employing that type of synthesis...

How is the reverb quality?

The oscillators are not as powerful and flexible as Spectral but in every other respect it is more than a match. The glitch sequencer, reorderable effects (a la Tantra) and the harmonic filter are great.

Very intuitive and easy to program. It really does sound excellent.

I swore I was only doing software modulars at the moment ...

AnX wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
AnX wrote:I still use a really old 17" monitor (flat not crt) I dont have a problem with any GUI's :shrug:
So what do you think is Wag's problem ? Old and blind ? But then I'm old and blind too so that's not a good excuse..... :lol:
So am i...and i wear reading glasses...
Well I don't know what to tell Wags then. I do genuinely feel sorry for him having to bitch about GUI's all the time and then having to deal with the backlash after annoying the crap out of people. All I know is that no such GUI problem exists here so a solution does exist. :shrug:
Last edited by Teksonik on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote:
AnX wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
AnX wrote:I still use a really old 17" monitor (flat not crt) I dont have a problem with any GUI's :shrug:
So what do you think is Wag's problem ? Old and blind ? But then I'm old and blind too so that's not a good excuse..... :lol:
Well I don't know what to tell Wags then. I do genuinely feel sorry for him having to bitch about GUI's all the time and then having to deal with the backlash after annoying the crap out of people. All I know is that no such problem exists here so a solution does exist. :shrug:
What size monitor do you recommend at minimum?

fluffy_little_something wrote:So, what genres is it meant for? Only electronic stuff?
What do you think?
fluffy_little_something wrote:Never used a synth employing that type of synthesis...
I thought you only used Sylenth1 ?

wagtunes wrote: So, here is my question. Is there an EASY way to zoom into the VST that I want to work with so that it actually becomes readable?
Try Glassbrick,its better than the windows magnifier

http://www.glassbrick.org/

wagtunes wrote:What size monitor do you recommend at minimum?
If I were going to buy a new (non 4k) monitor now I'd go 27" running at least 1920x1080. Mine is IPS and LED and I didn't pay more than $250 if I remember correctly. That configuration works perfectly here and I'm willing to bet my eyes are as bad or worse than yours.

Give it a shot. Can't hurt to try a new Monitor, just make sure there are no re-stocking fees if you want to return it. :)

wagtunes wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
AnX wrote:
Teksonik wrote:
Well I don't know what to tell Wags then. I do genuinely feel sorry for him having to bitch about GUI's all the time and then having to deal with the backlash after annoying the crap out of people. All I know is that no such problem exists here so a solution does exist. :shrug:
What size monitor do you recommend at minimum?
A 27" 16:9 monitor should be more than optimal, if you have issues with reading GUI's now. (IIRC, you're on a 17" 5:4 monitor now, right?)
Last edited by chk071 on Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ere2learn wrote:
wagtunes wrote: So, here is my question. Is there an EASY way to zoom into the VST that I want to work with so that it actually becomes readable?
Try Glassbrick,its better than the windows magnifier

http://www.glassbrick.org/

Oh come on now.....do people really use a Magnifier ? I never have.That's a workaround not a solution. :)

:ud:
Last edited by BBFG# on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I use a spy glass

Wags is right though, there need to be a size between Normal and Large.
On my Macbook, Normal is squinty, and Large gets cut off at the bottom.

Anyways, great sound. The Drive of the filter makes up (a bit at least) for the immediate loss of bottom end tweaking Res... Oscillators are nice, envelopes mmmm so so... i think i might need to spend some time on oversample tomorrow, but it's fun to use, so thumbs up from me, and no crashes yet... :P bonus
Haven't even touched the effects yet, but the Limiter is useable.

If I was starting this musical journey out again as a newbie today, instabuy. I'll probably buy it anyway, just cos it's a pleasure to program... except (so far) for the lack of scroll wheel support for the Osc Octave number etc, would be handy. Any click n drag on the Macbook is a fecking carpel tunnel nightmare, which is why Carbon Electra is gonna loose out to this synth for me i think.

cheers!

Diversion and Tantra, have they got several GUI sizes ?

Numanoid wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote:So, what genres is it meant for? Only electronic stuff?
What do you think?
fluffy_little_something wrote:Never used a synth employing that type of synthesis...
I thought you only used Sylenth1 ?
I don't know, else I would not have asked :dog:

So far, yes, but if something better comes along ...

Return to “Instruments”