Sonic Academy new synth!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ANA ANA 2 The Earth & Moon Expansion

I think this sounds very convincing, especially that filter sweep in the end. Not sure what is that "metallic" thing you are talking about.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

recursive one wrote:
I think this sounds very convinging, especially that filter sweep in the end. Not sure what is that "metallic" thing you are talking about.
There's a big difference between the Soundcloud version and the download version, maybe he just listened to the stream.

wagtunes wrote:Oh so now we're resorting to insults. Has that where this conversation has degraded to? Don't worry, I'm not going to sink to your level. I know that ends up as a non stop nobody can win battle that I'm tired of playing with you.
There was no insult at all. You keep stating that you own almost every synth out there. Since most of them can make 80's sounds, your statement amounted to saying Sylenth1 sounds worse than almost any other synth out there. If you really think so, you don't know what you are talking about. Why do you think professionals keep using it? They wouldn't if almost every other synth out there sounded better.

I think it still ranks in the upper middle-class of synths in terms of sound quality.

wagtunes wrote:All it says about a synth is whether or not it can do two slightly detuned saws through a 24db lp filter and chorus well. It says nothing about whether a synth's sound character is good or bad. Just that it can do what YOU want it to do. Not every synth is designed for that lone task in mind and instead focuses on other things. That doesn't make the synth's sound character bad. It just makes it a synth you're not interested in.
I completely disagree. To me it says a lot about the sound character because with such simple sounds one can hear the filter better, also the way the waves are spread across the panorama.
If a synth does not do such classic sounds well, it is not worth my money. If it does them well and goes way beyond that, fine.

tehlord wrote:Anyway, I just knocked up a quick Oberheim style pad to try and show a bit of warmth. For some reason the audio glitched a bit on video export (sounds like it's clipping). I think it's Camtasia that's doing that, because it's not in the original WAV. I uploaded the original 48/24 to Soundcloud (which has also destroyed it!!!!)....but......it can be downloaded if you want to hear the raw output from ANA2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiNLcitc-lU

https://soundcloud.com/bluffmunkey/ana2 ... ad/s-rE1mB
Thanks for the example. Not sure what to think of it...

fluffy_little_something wrote:
wagtunes wrote:Oh so now we're resorting to insults. Has that where this conversation has degraded to? Don't worry, I'm not going to sink to your level. I know that ends up as a non stop nobody can win battle that I'm tired of playing with you.
There was no insult at all. You keep stating that you own almost every synth out there. Since most of them can make 80's sounds, your statement amounted to saying Sylenth1 sounds worse than almost any other synth out there. If you really think so, you don't know what you are talking about. Why do you think professionals keep using it? They wouldn't if almost every other synth out there sounded better.

I think it still ranks in the upper middle-class of synths in terms of sound quality.
I'm not going to get into the reasons why so many people use it because that starts getting into territory that is frowned upon as far as discussion around here.

Aside from that, there is no arguing that there is a herd mentality that is as strong as any actual "quality" in regards to any product as long as the product isn't so bad (like the original zynsubfx) that using it is ridiculous. Sylenth1 is a passable sounding synth. Combine that with the fact that there are so many old users of it still using it for their tracks, anybody new who comes along and wants to have "that" sound is going to use the same synth because they think it's going to make them a big star. There is very little creativity anymore. It's all about "how can I sound like" whatever. But there is a subset of users who have moved on from Sylenth1 to things like Dune 2 and Spire, probably mostly Spire, which I also think has a much better sound engine than Sylenth1.

But all that aside, the statement "I don't know what I'm talking about" doesn't even make any sense. What exactly is it that I don't know what I'm talking about? My opinion of Sylenth1? In other words, I don't even know my own mind and feelings?

You don't agree with my evaluation of the synth, that's fine. We don't have to agree on the quality of the synth. But to equate that with "I don't know what I'm talking about", I'm sorry, but that IS insulting. I wouldn't tell you that YOU don't know what you're talking about because you DO like Sylenth1. That's your opinion. I don't agree with it. But I respect your opinion to have it and I wouldn't tell you that you don't know what you're talking about just because you like the synth and I don't.

So again, I have to ask just what the f**k is it with this place? Somebody doesn't agree with someone's opinion of a synth so they're called idiots? I mean that's essentially what this place has become. You don't like a synth that somebody else likes, you're an idiot. It's f**king unreal the degree of nastiness in this place and I'm sick and tired of it.

And I'm NOT alone.

Man starting again writing books here.... and turning another topic to endless discussions. Jeez....

Onto ana2 please.
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

Caine123 wrote:Man starting again writing books here.... and turning another topic to endless discussions. Jeez....

Onto ana2 please.
Its the same on all the threads. People just love to argue on this Website :hihi:
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

tehlord wrote:Anyway, I just knocked up a quick Oberheim style pad to try and show a bit of warmth. For some reason the audio glitched a bit on video export (sounds like it's clipping). I think it's Camtasia that's doing that, because it's not in the original WAV. I uploaded the original 48/24 to Soundcloud (which has also destroyed it!!!!)....but......it can be downloaded if you want to hear the raw output from ANA2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiNLcitc-lU

https://soundcloud.com/bluffmunkey/ana2 ... ad/s-rE1mB
Thanks for the example. Not sure what to think of it...
Just curious, what do you think is wrong with this sound? I'm not into 80's synth stuff but I think there is some nice character heard in this example.

nvm
Last edited by Examigan on Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

recursive one wrote:Just curious, what do you think is wrong with this sound? I'm not into 80's synth stuff but I think there is some nice character heard in this example.
There is nothing wrong with it. It is a slightly different sound character than the one I am used to :)
I will look for an audio player tomorrow that can play that not so common audio format...

Judging from the user interface, there is some reverb on it? The effects display is a bit confusing.

recursive one wrote:Just curious, what do you think is wrong with this sound? I'm not into 80's synth stuff but I think there is some nice character heard in this example.
There is nothing wrong with it. It is a slightly different sound character than the one I am used to :)
I will look for an audio player tomorrow that can play that not so common audio format...

Judging from the user interface, there is some reverb on it? The effects display is a bit confusing.
Little bit of chorus, little bit of tape saturation and some ping pong delay. No reverb. :party:

edit:pointless

I want to see ANA2 succeed (I like the ANA synth) and hope the best for Sonic Academy.
Now just release it! :lol:

Found another demo (something like deep house) which I think wasn't posted here yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9rXJJO20LI

Return to “Instruments”