Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

spunkmuffin wrote:Prepare now for the coming of text search - in the save dialog patch description just type a word or two (sexy, hotpants, ponylicious) to describe the patch. When we get text search just search your desired word and bingo! Who needs tags?
All of my patches are ponylicious, so I'm not sure how helpful that will be for me? I'm kind of serious about photorealistic tags though. See, here me out on this, the thing that I miss about vinyl is that I know what each of my records sounds like just by looking at the label on the record. All these words just become alphabet soup. I want to associate an image with small collections of patches, no more than 25 or so patches in a patch album. Then you put patch albums in crates and give that an image as well. No more than say 100 albums to a crate. Then you put crates in collections and that gets an image as well. Because everything is virtual, patches can appear on multiple albums and albums can appear on multiple crates, etc., you get the idea.

So how long would that take? Like a week, right?

synth_punk wrote:Any chance of a quick audio demo of a couple patches from anybody? So we don't have to take a cold shower :-)
I have a stacked unison saws ogg I could post.. but not sure Urs wants us sharing sounds just yet..

Plus.. after you hear it.. it will probably just get you more hot and bothered.

ghettosynth wrote:
spunkmuffin wrote:Prepare now for the coming of text search - in the save dialog patch description just type a word or two (sexy, hotpants, ponylicious) to describe the patch. When we get text search just search your desired word and bingo! Who needs tags?
All of my patches are ponylicious, so I'm not sure how helpful that will be for me? I'm kind of serious about photorealistic tags though. See, here me out on this, the thing that I miss about vinyl is that I know what each of my records sounds like just by looking at the label on the record. All these words just become alphabet soup. I want to associate an image with small collections of patches, no more than 25 or so patches in a patch album. Then you put patch albums in crates and give that an image as well. No more than say 100 albums to a crate. Then you put crates in collections and that gets an image as well. Because everything is virtual, patches can appear on multiple albums and albums can appear on multiple crates, etc., you get the idea.

Aah well why not work backwards. Find a unique word for a group of patches and put that word in the description of each patch. Then write that word on a post-it note and stick it onto one of your album covers. Now your word is linked to an indelible image. Rinse and repeat...your patches are sorted!
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

ghettosynth wrote:

I came back from the future and Urs (who’s consciousness is now/then (will be) hosted inside a computer) released versions of all their synths that give the users direct access to VR representation of U-He synths via a standard wetware connection. I couldn’t fully test it, because my quantum computer had (will have) a virus that seemed to be to be some sort of chimp-goat hybrid that kept kicking me and trying to rip my face off. Luckily, I know/will know, Kung fu.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

spunkmuffin wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

Aah well why not work backwards. Find a unique word for a group of patches and put that word in the description of each patch. Then write that word on a post-it note and stick it onto one of your album covers. Now your word is linked to an indelible image. Rinse and repeat...your patches are sorted!
I'm thinking that going all the way with this is the correct answer. So, each patch will be stored on an actual vinyl record using the same technology that was used in the 70s and 80s to store computer software on audio tape recorders. So all that's needed from Urs would be to write a proper encoder and decoder. Then I could get a vinyl cutting machine for my studio and when I clicked "save patch" it would prompt me to put a disc on and it would proceed to cut the patch into the disc. Reading would be easier, of course, just put on the record and the software would detect that there is a patch incoming.

There's a bonus to this. If you can't quite swing the space/cost of a vinyl cutting machine, you can just ordinary cassette recorders. Sure, your images will be a lot smaller, but we can't all be ballers like that, ya know?

Urs is wicket smart, he should be able to knock this out before I'm finished with breakfast. It's Saturday, breakfast is lazy today, so there's plenty of time!
Last edited by ghettosynth on Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ghettosynth wrote:
spunkmuffin wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:

I'm thinking that going all the way with this is the correct answer. So, each patch will be stored on an actual vinyl record using the same technology that was used in the 70s and 80s to store computer software on audio tape recorders. So all that's needed from Urs would be to write a proper encoder and decoder. Then I could get a vinyl cutting machine for my studio and when I clicked "save patch" it would prompt me to put a disc on and it would proceed to cut the patch into the patch into the disk. Reading would be easier, of course, just put on the record and the software would detect that there is a patch incoming.

There's a bonus to this. If you can't quite swing the space/cost of a vinyl cutting machine, you can just ordinary cassette recorders. Sure, your images will be a lot smaller, but we can't all be ballers like that, ya know?

Urs is wicket smart, he should be able to knock this out before I'm finished with breakfast. It's Saturday, breakfast is lazy today, so there's plenty of time!
Excellent idea! Actually, when I was in college, I had an idea to put webpages on vinyl and use a modem to retrieve the data. Of course there are a ton of issues with the handshake process, but with the cost of pressing vinyl it would have been ridiculous anyway. Fun idea to think about. Very Max Headroom.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Echoes in the Attic wrote:I think there is a space just to the left of the slop knob that needs a button. Just like how the glide knob above it has the unison button. But this new button should flip the mod matrix to slots 3 and 4. :)

I've never been someone who asked for more mod slots in any synth before. But repro-5 would really benefit from a couple more. Of course it wouldn't bother anyone hidden behind the first two.
No love for this idea? 4 mod slots instead of 2 with barely any change to the GUI? :pray:

Echoes in the Attic wrote:
Echoes in the Attic wrote:I think there is a space just to the left of the slop knob that needs a button. Just like how the glide knob above it has the unison button. But this new button should flip the mod matrix to slots 3 and 4. :)

I've never been someone who asked for more mod slots in any synth before. But repro-5 would really benefit from a couple more. Of course it wouldn't bother anyone hidden behind the first two.
No love for this idea? 4 mod slots instead of 2 with barely any change to the GUI? :pray:
Yes, would be great and almost "free" spacewise. Does Urs have a word on this?

klinik wrote:

We discussed this intensively before... if we do this now, the presets and everything will give an impression which is quite far off from the vintage vibe we're aiming for. However, once this synth is established as what we hope it to be, we'll happily discuss careful additions to the concept.

The good news is that filter and amp velocity has been added, so if those were areas where you were commonly using Mod Slots in RePro-1, you won't need to worry about those particular two in RePro-5.

Urs wrote:
klinik wrote:

We discussed this intensively before... if we do this now, the presets and everything will give an impression which is quite far off from the vintage vibe we're aiming for. However, once this synth is established as what we hope it to be, we'll happily discuss careful additions to the concept.
As much as I love modulation, I think in an instrument like this, it’s easy to get too crazy. Also, I imagine that as you add more possible parameters that could change in real time, that’s got to effect CPU, right? I’d rather have the sound quality (which is there, judging from RePro-1) than some Matrix 12-like modulation engine. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t a Prophet 5 model filter be a better addition to Zebra 3 or Diva than modular style modulation options in a Prophet 5 emulation?
Zerocrossing Media

zerocrossing wrote:
Urs wrote:
klinik wrote:

As much as I love modulation, I think in an instrument like this, it’s easy to get too crazy. Also, I imagine that as you add more possible parameters that could change in real time, that’s got to effect CPU, right? I’d rather have the sound quality (which is there, judging from RePro-1) than some Matrix 12-like modulation engine. Correct me if I’m wrong, but wouldn’t a Prophet 5 model filter be a better addition to Zebra 3 or Diva than modular style modulation options in a Prophet 5 emulation?
I get your point but you also must think about the added FX, so 4 mod slots not only for the synth itself, but for the 5 Fx is IMO a conservative amount and not crazy at all. Glad Usr will consider to add it in the future!

Urs wrote:
klinik wrote:

Easy remedy! Just don't let the factory preset designers use mod slots 3 and 4. :) So it stays vintagey with only slots 1 and 2. Wait the original didn't have mod slots 1 and 2 either...

Doesn't this kind of become a matter of "where do you stop?" If there were no mod slots, people would complain that "they're not taking advantage of the benefits of software by expanding on the original!" Now there are folks saying "well, if you can do 2 mod slots, you can do 4." Even if there were 4, someone would inevitably say, "8 would be perfect, please think about adding 4 more." Then Hans Zimmer would undoubtedly call and say, "Urs, I need a custom version with 16 mod slots." And then people on KVR will find out and say, "if Hans gets 16, we should too!" Next thing you know you've got a modular CEM synth that's nothing like a Prophet.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote:Doesn't this kind of become a matter of "where do you stop?" If there were no mod slots, people would complain that "they're not taking advantage of the benefits of software by expanding on the original!" Now there are folks saying "well, if you can do 2 mod slots, you can do 4." Even if there were 4, someone would inevitably say, "8 would be perfect, please think about adding 4 more." Then Hans Zimmer would undoubtedly call and say, "Urs, I need a custom version with 16 mod slots." And then people on KVR will find out and say, "if Hans gets 16, we should too!" Next thing you know you've got a modular CEM synth that's nothing like a Prophet.
Of course not, Echoes clearly found a spot for an aditional button, and since Repro-5 have "non original" mod slots and also 5 aditional effects without modulation routings, we culd get adventage of this. Its not a race, your exposition is a kind of fallacy...

Return to “u-he”