Acid Pro Alternative For Mac..?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I used to use Acid Pro for sequencing mp3 tracks to make my own DJ mixes. I am now on Mac, and Acid Pro isn't available for Mac. Any suggestions for a cheap (or free) equivalent I could use?

Thanks in advance.

Nothing then? I’ve tried a few demos today but nothing else seems to have the beat mapping function and the same focus on loops

Some people view Reaper as a good replacement for Acid, others disagree. AFAIK, that's really the closest that you are going to get to Acid on a mac. Bonus, it's cross platform so that you won't run into this issue again.

Thanks I’ll check it out

Some discussion:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=78212

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-c ... d-pro.html

BTW: I own Acid, Reaper, and Cubase, and although I like Cubase for many things, an Acid replacement it's not!

"Beatmapping" is fitting a loop (and transients) to a different BPM/grid right?

Tracktion T6 has that (as "Time Warp") and it is free.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/tracktion-6

Full-featured free DAW with all the expected features, multi-platform, Z–Plane Elastique Pro and ARA support.

I will have a look at that one too, thanks

Weren't Garageband and Appleloops originally developed by the same person who developed Acid?

as noted above, garageband is a clone of acid pro.

Thanks for the replies! GarageBand looks worth a try given it’s already installed. The one thing that I cannot replicate is calculating bpm when loading an audio file. Acid launched a beat mapper automatically. Does that function exist in other hosts?

Reaper maybe (quite a great replacement for Acid, but maybe not so good on beatmapping), or the free version of Live (Live Lite/whatever) ?

i don't use garageband myself, but in acid the beatmapper option exists mainly for trying to sync with long tracks. i am sure you can do that in garageband - there are loads of videos on youtube about it.
if timestretching in real time is the thing, ableton would be the top of the line for that sort of thing but it is expensive. garageband is free, no?

Another recommendation for Reaper from me - Used to use Sony Vegas as my main NLE which was essentially Acid Pro with video layers added. Then when I then found out about Reaper in the v0.x days I gave it a shot and barely had to learn anything to find my way around, everything seemed to work exactly how I'd learned with Vegas (including many of the keyboard shortcuts)

I used acid to analyse the bpm of a mp3 then set the project tempo accordingly. Then you can add the next mp3 and it will sync to the correct tempo so you can align the beats and create a dj style mix. Now of course that’s not real djing, but it means you can make a perfect ‘studio’ dj mix free from any errors. That’s all I want to do now I’m on a Mac!

Having watched a few yt videos, I can see ableton live’s warp function will do pretty much what I need. Does the live intro version have warp? It’s not clear on abletons website.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”