Which Companies Score a 10/10? - In Effects [with List Updates]

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I've had a few frustrating days with plugin designers and thought it was time for a list. I've already posted a similar thread for this in instruments but wanted to get a bead on effects as well to see if we can some good lists going.

According to the following criteria, what companies have you run into that are scoring a full 10 on the following scale:
  • 1. Sound
    • Stellar sound. If the intention is transparency it's transparent, if the intention is analogue it is accurately analogue, if the intention is dirty it's really dirty.
    2. Accurate Metrics
    • Numbers actually reflect reality.
    3. Great Interface
    • You can resize it. It's aesthetically pleasing. It's a pleasure to use. It's clear and intuitive.
    4. Great Performance
    • Non-existent or little latency in both sound and the interface. Acceptable CPU/memory usage for the function it performs. Rarely if ever crashes.
    5. Great Features
    • Robust features. Progresses the field or contains all of the necessary and relevant features one would expect.
    6. Great Presets
    • Presets that sound great and work in production with minimal or no tweaking.
    7. Great Customer Service
    • Their product is maintained (Updates). They respond within a day or two during the week. They read what you've written and respond with intelligent answers and solutions. Or you never need to contact customer service.
    8. Great Website
    • Their website has sound samples, downloadable demos, tutorials, a place to ask questions, and a knowledge-base or manual that contains most of what a user would need to know about their software.
    9. Acceptable Marketing Practices
    • They don't pester you. They offer discounts regularly. Their promotions make sense. They appear to have an accurate sense of their value and don't create a list price of $1000 and offer 99% discounts every other week.
    10. Acceptable Licensing
    • They don't punish the user who buys their product with labyrinthine hell-hole licensing situations because they are paranoid that their software will be pirated and can't develop a user-friendly solution that doesn't condemn their paying users to regular torture.
I'd be interested to see what companies you've worked with that score a 10 on this scale. If you feel like you'd like to include a company that doesn't score a 10 - either one that scores high but doesn't make the mark, or one that scores so low you want to warn people about it - feel free! Also feel free to include some information about how they fell short or what they could do to improve.

Because this is the effects thread please only post companies that produce effects (or both if they also produce effects).

I may add to this list, but off the top of my head companies that score a 10 for me:

FabFilter

So...who gets a 10/10 for you :?:

::: KVR Member 10/10 List - Effects :::

Valhalla DSP (12)
Klanghelm (11)
Fab Filter (10)
Soundtoys (9)
Sonic Charge (6)
Tokyo Dawn (6)
Toneboosters (6)
U-he (6)
Cytomic (5)
2C-Audio (4)
Kush (3)
Melda (3)
PSP (3)
Sugar Bytes (3)

AudioThing (2)
Audiority (2)
DMG (2)
DS Audio Tantra (2)
Kazrog (2)
Sonimus (2)
Unfiltered Audio (2)
Zynaptic (2)

Airwindows (1)
Applied Acoustics (1)
Cryosonic (1)
Blue Cat Audio (1)
BRA (1)
Brainworx (1)
Eventide (1)
HY (1)
Kilohearts (1)
Klevgrand (1)
Native Instruments (1)
None (1)
Softube (1)
Tone2 (1)
Tritik (1)
Unfiltered Audio (1)
UVI (1)
Voxengo (1)
Xfer (1)
Yooz (1)

::: Honorable Mentions :::

Lexicon
Exponential Audio
Last edited by 10bd01 on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:21 pm, edited 35 times in total.

None of them fit all of that criteria for me
My standards are simply

too

high
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Not sure how well they fit all criteria (i don't pay much attention to presets), but since its a KVR list I'll just post some all-round favourites. In no particular order:

Tokyo Dawn
Klanghelm
Tritik
Voxengo
Toneboosters

Valhalla DSP.
Soundtoys.
UVI.
Sugar Bytes.
Fab Filter.
Cytomic.

These are pretty much perfect according to my standards:
- Usually rather small companies with real, kind, polite and responsive people behind them instead of anonymous support call center agents...
- ... who treat customers like decent and trustworthy human beings and value our business...
- ... offer fairly-priced products with well-designed user-interfaces, decent feature sets and great sound...
- ... and rather spend more time developing great new products instead of trying to make a living from paid annual GUI-updates.

DMG Audio
Not a lot of things to say on their support though, I don't need it much. The rest is perfect imo.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

10bd01 wrote:
  • 9. Acceptable Marketing Practices
    • They don't pester you. They offer discounts regularly. Their promotions make sense. They appear to have an accurate sense of their value and don't create a list price of $1000 and offer 99% discounts every other week.
    10. Acceptable Licensing
    • They don't punish the user who buys their product with labyrinthine hell-hole licensing situations because they are paranoid that their software will be pirated and can't develop a user-friendly solution that doesn't condemn their paying users to regular torture.
IK Multimedia, Waves & iZotope

:D

DJErmac wrote:DMG Audio
Not a lot of things to say on their support though, I don't need it much. The rest is perfect imo.
Actually, DKErmac, that's actually the best support of all. The best customer support is never needing to contact customer support.

I recently made the mistake of signing up for a server with f*cknode and they advertised how they "love tickets...we love answering tickets! We love customer service!"...etc. Not surprisingly I spent several days with their "support" trying to resolve several issues. They love customer support all right - they love it so much they give you a ton of reasons to need to contact customer support, and then don't resolve your issues so they can continue "supporting you".

DMG was already high on my radar, now even more so.

soulone82 wrote:
IK Multimedia, Waves & iZotope

:D
:lol:

mutantdog wrote:Not sure how well they fit all criteria (i don't pay much attention to presets), but since its a KVR list I'll just post some all-round favourites. In no particular order:

Tokyo Dawn
Klanghelm
Tritik
Voxengo
Toneboosters
Thx, mutantdog - I'd never even heard of Tritik, so I look forward to checking it out. Tokyo Dawn is on my futures list.

epiphaneia wrote:Valhalla DSP.
Soundtoys.
UVI.
Sugar Bytes.
Fab Filter.
Cytomic.

These are pretty much perfect according to my standards:
- Usually rather small companies with real, kind, polite and responsive people behind them instead of anonymous support call center agents...
- ... who treat customers like decent and trustworthy human beings and value our business...
- ... offer fairly-priced products with well-designed user-interfaces, decent feature sets and great sound...
- ... and rather spend more time developing great new products instead of trying to make a living from paid annual GUI-updates.
Wow, awesome and well put, epiphaneia! Good to hear, I'll keep my eye on all of them. I was recently eyeing Turnado, good to see SB has the qualities you listed, which I value as well.

:tu:

Klanghelm
ValhallaDSP

FabFilter;

Sonic Charge;

ValhallaDSP.

Sonic Charge is a new name for me, e@rs, thx!

Okay, you guys have multihandedly convinced me to put Valhalla on my to-get list.

e@rs wrote:Sonic Charge
I'll '+1' on that! Permut8 is Goals! :tu:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Klanghelm
ValhallaDSP
+1 on these and add
DS Audio Tantra
expert only on what it feels like to be me
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

Return to “Effects”