How many versions of cubase Do you keep installed?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JerGoertz wrote: I don't like using bit-bridges.
Double click an .exe once and you can run your 32-bit plugins in your 64-bit DAW with arguably better stability than an actual 32-bit DAW. There's not a whole lot to dislike.

jBridge prevents DAW crashes and offers many per-plugin troubleshooting options that can help your buggy/crash-prone plugins run flawlessly even on the latest DAW versions.
Whether the interface changes are for the better is a matter of opinion, dontcha think? ;)
The interface changes have been allowing them to add a ton of new features and workflow enhancements that simply couldn't be implemented elegantly on the old interface. That's probably their main motivation to change it.

Sure it was controversial back when Cubase 7 was released, but pretty much everything bad about it got fixed by the time Cubase 8 came out (years ago!).

I've been following the Steinberg forums closely for the past few years, and I'm pretty sure I saw more people requesting for the Interactive Phrase Synthesizer from the Cubase Atari days to be brought back than people complaining about the current interface or claiming that the old one was better. You rarely see that even on Gearslutz which is full of grumpy old men.

Everyone else either grew to like the new interface or at least got used to it, and I'm pretty sure you would too if you gave Cubase 9.5 a real chance.

But sure, if you would rather waste your time trying to learn a completely different, primitive DAW suffering from horribly slow development like bitwig, that's your problem.

Missed to grace period by 7 days

So say I have 8.5, 9 and 9.5 installed. If I uninstall 8.5 and 9, will there be any downsides, i. e. missing presets or user-preferences? Or will 9.5 work exact the same way as it does now?

I can't tell you what will happen on your system but I can tell you that many of us keep several version of Cubase installed without issue or conflict. In the case of the 9.5 update, installation is handled by a download manager. It gives the option of a complete download or just and update installer. I choose update. In my my case it created a new folder with 9.5 installed .. It found all of my preferences including all of my external efx and synths - except some colours that I had picked out.
Dr.Future wrote:So say I have 8.5, 9 and 9.5 installed. If I uninstall 8.5 and 9, will there be any downsides, i. e. missing presets or user-preferences? Or will 9.5 work exact the same way as it does now?

I installed 9.5 yesterday and removed 9, so I only have one version on my PC.
This is mainly due to diskspace as my C drive only has 128GB (old Samsung SSD).

Every few Windows releases, I get a new studio computer just to keep current with spec requirements. My current PC is custom built, and should probably last me a few more years. But every time I replace a PC, I put the old one in storage and install the latest Cubase version on the new one without any prior versions. But I never delete any of the prior Cubase versions when I upgrade.

I haven't checked, but I think the oldest version of Cubase on my current PC is whatever the last version was that still supported 32x vsts. Not sure, but I think it might be version 7? Whatever it is, I have every version of Cubase from that point to the current version still on that machine.

Once in awhile, I'll open a prior version and take a trip down memory lane with some of my old projects. Many of them inspire me. Many others depress me. C'est la vie.

Whatever version I use though, as a guy who remembers having to actually splice tape in the studio, I am always amazed at the tools we now have at our disposal in the digital age. Cubase in particular has come a long way, and I've owned every version of it since 2.

Cheers
-B
Berfab
So many plugins, so little time...

Right now I have 9 and 9.5 installed. I'll uninstall 9 as soon as I'm satisfied that 9.5. doesn't do anything hazardous. :borg:
Truly mind-boggling music! - New album out! - And a blog!

I'm thinking of Doing a clean install,to clean things up and save some disk space(approaching 80%}.
Altouthe older version don't seem to take up much space.Off to see if I Qualify for a free upgrade to 9.5

I qualify for the upgrade!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I kept three (8, 8.5, 9) until 9.5 hit. I am down to just one. 9.5 Pro.

It is awesome.

If there were some compelling reason I saw to have 9.0.3 or above installed I would have to have an earlier version where 'Replace Audio In Video' was still doable installed. :-x

So now I have 7,8.5,9,9.5 and 5

3, 7.02 and 9.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”