Repro-5

Official support for: u-he.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Repro

Mutant wrote:Because i can't believe an old synth like the Prophet 5 is that surgically stable.
Rev 3 was comparatively much more stable than Rev 2. Rev 2 is 70s horror soundtracks sound! Also, if they had the original recapped with better tolerance parts...

EvilDragon wrote:
Mutant wrote:Because i can't believe an old synth like the Prophet 5 is that surgically stable.
Rev 3 was comparatively much more stable than Rev 2. Rev 2 is 70s horror soundtracks sound! Also, if they had the original recapped with better tolerance parts...
After i tuned the R5 oscillator and another synth oscillator to the exact same pitch, i literally listened and watched the 2 saws on the oscillator for minutes and heard/saw no phasing at all.
But maybe i was just dealt 2 very similar random values on that S/G LFO. :)
This is why controls for that feature should be exposed to the user.
There is some point where assigning just 1 random detune value to every voice will have the same audible effect as an extremely slow and subtle drift.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

It's quite possible that Detune at 0 switches Drift off completely. The detune knob doesn't do anything in poly mode on the real hardware, but in Repro-5 it controls the amount of drift and natural detune. The first few percent (not sure how much atm) enable drift with a bit of detune, and then just crazy detune.

Being able to switch it off completely is a must for people who use microtonal scales. It isn't a bug.

Urs wrote:It's quite possible that Detune at 0 switches Drift off completely.
Haha ! :)
I assumed the detune knob had only one function - detuning the voices.
Sure i had that knob at 0.

A feature request then:
Make the drift control independent of the detune control.
Or at least describe the effects of values of the detune knob in detail in the manual. :wink:

*It is of course not THAT important to me, i can always use REAPERs parameter modulation and routing to make the drift heavy with medium or small detune.

I have a question.
VOICE DETUNE knob: Effective at all times, independent of
UNISON status. Per-voice subtle to serious detuning, as well as
various other offsets.
Does "various other offsets" include subtle differences in LFOs and envelopes times, key and filter tracking ?
These effects are probably very tiny on your test subject Prophet 5, but for sure they would make the VSTi sound more "vintage". :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

And just tried the P1 oscillator preset now.
No flutter at all.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:And just tried the P1 oscillator preset now.
No flutter at all.
I can clearly hear it when I switch back and forth between P1 and ideal. Ideal is absolutely straight, P1 isn't.

Urs wrote:
No flutter at all.
I can clearly hear it when I switch back and forth between P1 and ideal. Ideal is absolutely straight, P1 isn't.
Maybe our definitions of flutter differ.
Yes, i can hear that P1 is differen't, but no i don't see the 50/60hz flutter on the spectrum analyzer as i can clearly see it on The Legend:

It is a very subtle effect, but it sure makes the oscillators "fatter" (i don't like using that word in this context).

Also sorry for being annoying - maybe it shows how much i care and how much i want to know about Repro-5. :)
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

Mutant wrote:
Urs wrote:
No flutter at all.
Maybe our definitions of flutter differ.
Yes, i can hear that P1 is differen't, but no i don't see the 50/60hz flutter on the spectrum analyzer as i can clearly see it on The Legend.
It is a very subtle effect, but it sure makes the oscillators "fatter" (i don't like using that word in this context).

Also sorry for being annoying - maybe it shows how much i care and how much i want to know about Repro 5. :)
Well the Legend omits the audio bleed through from the cutoff modulation instead. Developers make individual decisions as to what they consider meaningful and what they'd rather not do. I consider any 50/60Hz bleed through a great source for bug reports, but I found the CV bleed through very important.

We do occasionally get bug reports where a Repro-1 goes out of tune after a few hours so the user had to restart the host. We're glad we haven't made the effect any worse (and I think we capped the drift now...)

I have been trying to reproduce the main sound from radiohead's 'everything in its right place' for years and while I have gotten close, with r5 I got it pretty much spot on with almost no effort: you can hear pretty much straight away that its the same synth.

Excellent job.
Last edited by suthnear on Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

@mutant - I did a quick test of a long held note of a single saw from r5's init patch against serum's init patch and there is definitely movement. I even duplicated the serum patch against itself to make sure that serum wasn't contributing to this (somehow), but nope: it's as stable as you would imagine serum to be.

Many patches are velocity sensitive. But the original was not, correct?

And now rehearsing the Kim Carnes Bette Davis Eyes riff... :clown:

Patch: TUC David Betty's Eyes
Last edited by Chris-S on Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yep, original was not velocity sensitive AFAIK.

suthnear wrote:@mutant - I did a quick test of a long held note of a single saw from r5's init patch against serum's init patch and there is definitely movement. I even duplicated the serum patch against itself to make sure that serum wasn't contributing to this (somehow), but nope: it's as stable as you would imagine serum to be.
Thanks. :)
I confirmed the movement earlier today too, at max detune knob setting.
[====[\\\\\\\\]>------,

Ay caramba !

EvilDragon wrote:Yep, original was not velocity sensitive AFAIK.
You needed a "Retrofit Kit" to bring some midi options e.g. velocity response, aftertouch response, etc.
Don't know when it came out though.

suthnear wrote:I have been trying to reproduce the main sound from radiohead's 'everything in its right place' for years and while I have gotten close, with r5 I got it pretty much spot on with almost no effort: you can hear pretty much straight away that its the same synth.

Excellent job.
There's a preset for it, have you seen it?

Return to “u-he”