what do you think about Softube effects?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I noticed that nobody mentioned Softube in the previous thread "Which Companies Score a 10/10? - In Effects"

I know that sound quality is not the only requirement in this ranking but I was a bit surprised to see the results as their products are quite expensive.

So, what do you think about their effects?

i think they're smashing. all iLok gripes aside :P
they obviously sound superb, and I don't think i've ever actually had a Softube plugin crash on me.

Definitely one of the best companies around in terms of quality... But they have always been on the more expensive side.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

I own so much of their stuff. Great sound and super low CPU usage. Warbler is not my favorite, but once they are installed, it's pretty hard to beat them. I don't know how they make them sound so good with such a low processor hit. Definitely worth having.

I think the majority of their plugins are pretty incredible and among the best in the business. While expensive, they consistently run sales and you can regularly find users here (and probably other forums) selling licenses. I've been able to get nearly all of mine for at least 50% off and many cases more than that, so with some patience it's well worth it.

I've liked their stuff so much it led me into really looking into their Console 1 unit which again I was able to find in mint condition used at a great deal with the Brit Class A included. With Console 1, I really didn't 'get it' all this time and overlooked it until recently, but once I researched it and then actually got my hands on one I was pretty blown away. So much so I bid on and won their Volume 1 package in this years KVR Charity Auction to basically complete the portfolio. Only thing I don't have yet which I still want is their Tape sim which I'm waiting to go on sale at some point.

There's a few of their plugins that I'm not interested in, but Console 1 (Brit Class A / SSL 4K), Tube-Tech channel and Summit channel have become the basis for nearly everything I do now. I use some UAD and Kush plugins for additional compression and character, then Sonnox and FabFilter for surgical EQ's and limiting.

Just blows me away the selection and quality of stuff we have to use today!

Their effects are more geared towards vintage emulations. They are pretty good.

I do like their instruments, heartbeat sounds great and modular is innovative and sounds superb. }

The iLok stuff I don't like it, but it isn't that much of a deal breaker,
dedication to flying

With Soundtoys they are the best plugins I ever used.
You can create every kind of music with just these two devs.
(Actually, to be honest, you can create any kind of music with the DAW stock plugins too...) :scared:

Regarding sound quality, did they fix aliasing?

doubtful, there's 2x oversampling and it seems to suffice to most people. I'd like a 8x switch as well.

Really like Softube especially their Modular softsynth it sounds as good as my Korg Odyssey only Modular has far more possibilities. Trying out their new plugins right now. Hope their new chorus comes out for none UAD too.

Only got a few because most of their effects are mastering ones, but not particularly impressed with what I have, the spring is so so and the feedback one is terrible, Ohmicide does it much better

aMUSEd wrote:Only got a few because most of their effects are mastering ones, but not particularly impressed with what I have, the spring is so so and the feedback one is terrible, Ohmicide does it much better
Their low end stuff is a bit meh... Like that Feedback, Tube Delay and springverb.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

Since they need Gobbler on top of iLok the only recommendation is to avoid them at any cost.

Good effects otherwise.
No signature here!

I think they sound good, but they need to work on their preset management and GUI sizes. Modular in particular has terrible preset management. I don't care about presets for things like flangers or whatever, but big complex setups in Modular really could use some TLC.

Other than that, the plugins are just too small on my MacBook.

I love 'em! Softube, Soundtoys, ValhallaDSP, and Eventide make it all over my productions. I also still use a smattering of T-Racks compressors too, but Softube compressors are seeing more and more use from me.
My band eluvia | FB | Tweets | SC | Me on ABC

Return to “Effects”