Login / Register  0 items | $0.00 New#KVRDeals
kamalmanzukie
KVRist
 
80 posts since 12 May, 2012

Postby kamalmanzukie; Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:04 am Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

Kinh wrote:
kamalmanzukie wrote:
kamalmanzukie wrote:actually ill make it easy for you. heres all of that edited together. its cherrypicked from half a dozen files, with only the parts considered the most beneficial added in. certified fair trade, GMO as hell

if you can get this weakly modulating the frequency of whatever you use (1.5 hz at most + or - at most) i think you'll find some of the mojo you're after


here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aOGuE ... q70Y8Yhut4

I'm no sound designer. So can you tell me what do I need to learn or do to accomplish what you're suggesting. I get the basics of what you're saying which is use a special type of wave form to modulate the frequency of the oscillator. I have FM8 and Reaktor6. Modular synthesis is uncharted territory for me and FM8, as far as I know you have a frequency offset to modulate which has a ratio, both of which are controlled by an 'amount'.


reaktor 6??? brother that was all u needed to say
kamalmanzukie
KVRist
 
80 posts since 12 May, 2012

Postby kamalmanzukie; Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:05 am Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

Kinh wrote:
kamalmanzukie wrote:
kamalmanzukie wrote:actually ill make it easy for you. heres all of that edited together. its cherrypicked from half a dozen files, with only the parts considered the most beneficial added in. certified fair trade, GMO as hell

if you can get this weakly modulating the frequency of whatever you use (1.5 hz at most + or - at most) i think you'll find some of the mojo you're after


here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aOGuE ... q70Y8Yhut4

I'm no sound designer. So can you tell me what do I need to learn or do to accomplish what you're suggesting. I get the basics of what you're saying which is use a special type of wave form to modulate the frequency of the oscillator. I have FM8 and Reaktor6. Modular synthesis is uncharted territory for me and FM8, as far as I know you have a frequency offset to modulate which has a ratio, both of which are controlled by an 'amount'.


reaktor 6??? brother that was all u needed to say
kamalmanzukie
KVRist
 
80 posts since 12 May, 2012

Postby kamalmanzukie; Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:15 am Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

Kinh wrote:
kamalmanzukie wrote:
kamalmanzukie wrote:actually ill make it easy for you. heres all of that edited together. its cherrypicked from half a dozen files, with only the parts considered the most beneficial added in. certified fair trade, GMO as hell

if you can get this weakly modulating the frequency of whatever you use (1.5 hz at most + or - at most) i think you'll find some of the mojo you're after


here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1aOGuE ... q70Y8Yhut4

I'm no sound designer. So can you tell me what do I need to learn or do to accomplish what you're suggesting. I get the basics of what you're saying which is use a special type of wave form to modulate the frequency of the oscillator. I have FM8 and Reaktor6. Modular synthesis is uncharted territory for me and FM8, as far as I know you have a frequency offset to modulate which has a ratio, both of which are controlled by an 'amount'.


https://drive.google.com/open?id=1YqO7w ... NAQJ6IuyY3

you're on your own figuring it all out tho. its actually pretty badass 303 clone
Kinh
KVRian
 
893 posts since 25 Aug, 2012

Postby Kinh; Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:04 pm Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

Thanks for your suggestions but nothing above gets me even close.

Anyone else?
kamalmanzukie
KVRist
 
80 posts since 12 May, 2012

Postby kamalmanzukie; Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:58 am Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

Kinh wrote:Thanks for your suggestions but nothing above gets me even close.

Anyone else?


yes. learn now to follow your ears. if you know what your after, keep doing things until that is what you hear. unfortunately you seem to be on a streak of not finding. the tools at your disposal are definitely capable of whatever you're after. don't get fixated on the tools, the most important thing is the vision.
Kinh
KVRian
 
893 posts since 25 Aug, 2012

Postby Kinh; Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 pm Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

kamalmanzukie wrote:
Kinh wrote:Thanks for your suggestions but nothing above gets me even close.

Anyone else?


yes. learn now to follow your ears. if you know what your after, keep doing things until that is what you hear. unfortunately you seem to be on a streak of not finding. the tools at your disposal are definitely capable of whatever you're after. don't get fixated on the tools, the most important thing is the vision.

I got the vision, I know what doesn't work, just cant get from point a to b and it's frustrating as hell! :x throwing a mic stand into a perfectly good monitor type frustrating. Shit! this is the only thing I suck at, distortion on polysynth.
kamalmanzukie
KVRist
 
80 posts since 12 May, 2012

Postby kamalmanzukie; Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:06 pm Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

Kinh wrote:
kamalmanzukie wrote:
Kinh wrote:Thanks for your suggestions but nothing above gets me even close.

Anyone else?


yes. learn now to follow your ears. if you know what your after, keep doing things until that is what you hear. unfortunately you seem to be on a streak of not finding. the tools at your disposal are definitely capable of whatever you're after. don't get fixated on the tools, the most important thing is the vision.

I got the vision, I know what doesn't work, just cant get from point a to b and it's frustrating as hell! :x throwing a mic stand into a perfectly good monitor type frustrating. Shit! this is the only thing I suck at, distortion on polysynth.


hmmm. been there. and i've pushed through a lot of dead ends by trying to be really stubborn in thinking about it in two ways

trying to find some new way of understanding, visualizing, any new angle at all

thinking about what i am trying to achieve, and trying to bridge what would need for that to happen to what the next thing i would need to do would be

probably sounds obvious, but if you're really stubborn and keep wailing almost everything will give way eventually, its an amazing thing about being human, that things tough beyond imagination will give out before we do
sineglacier
KVRer
 
6 posts since 18 Nov, 2017

Postby sineglacier; Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:54 pm Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

3 saw waves detuned. Then distort result. Then compress result. Then distort compressed result. Then add filter effects. When we do it like this our patches sound pretty huge.
Kinh
KVRian
 
893 posts since 25 Aug, 2012

Postby Kinh; Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:51 am Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

sineglacier wrote:3 saw waves detuned. Then distort result. Then compress result. Then distort compressed result. Then add filter effects. When we do it like this our patches sound pretty huge.

Any examples of your work where you've done this?
andymcbain
KVRist
 
125 posts since 10 Jan, 2017

Postby andymcbain; Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:48 am Re: How do you get your synths to sound huge?

Personally I don't think this sound track sounds aggressive at all but I can see where you're coming from. My theory would be -

The synths sounds huge because they basically span the entire frequency range, and arrangement at that moment in time. It's all in the layering - you've got a high fizzy lead, a harmonically rich bass line, a kick and a snare (possibly more) all hitting on the beat. So the percussive samples are giving you the punchy transient and giving the illusion that the lead and bass have a lot more punch than they really have, and pretty much every frequency in the track is present from subs to top end. Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that if you were to solo these sounds they would sound quite weedy in isolation... I don't know for certain but I would probably agree with that.

You've also got the psychoacoustic thing of the "ooh - ooh - ooh" vocal sounds occurring off the beat, and separate from the punchy transients of the percussion / lead combo, so they sound almost weedy in comparison. This gives a sense of perspective... a big sound is only big when it's placed next to something small.

Nothing fancy going on here IMO, just good mixing, well chosen sounds and clever layering... deceptively simple!
Previous

Moderator: Moderators (Main)

Return to Production Techniques