Viability of using macbook for production work

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This is a question I've had for a while (without actually posting it).

I use Logic, along with a bunch of plugins (Sylenth1, Absynth 5, Fabfilter effects, etc).

I first bought a Mac in 2003. At that time you needed to buy a soundcard, and also a mixing desk, to function as a small home studio.

I updated to a new desktop iMac in 2014. Things had now changed, and all you needed in addition to the computer and software was a sound module (I have a focusrite).

My question is, since 99% of what I do is out of the box (and even if I did need to record vocals etc, I could still do this at home), is it viable for me to get a Macbook and produce stuff on the go (along with a decent pair of headphones of course). In the past you needed a soundcard for digital-to-analog conversion. Is this still the case, or would a macbook be able to run, Logic, Absynth etc with no additional hardware? And would it have enough processing power/memory?

Any help/advice much appreciated.

Liney wrote:My question is, since 99% of what I do is out of the box
You mean you do everything in the box?

Macbook is enough than, at least for me, YMMV.
Liney wrote:is it viable for me to get a Macbook and produce stuff on the go (along with a decent pair of headphones of course).
Define "producing on the go"?

If that means composing and getting rough ideas done, than yeah it could be done without much pain and just with laptop, but than again I could do my own full blown thing on almost any Macbook that can run 10.6.8&Logic 9, so yeah, take everything with grain of salt.

Also, it begs the question, which Macbook precisely?
Liney wrote:In the past you needed a soundcard for digital-to-analog conversion. Is this still the case, or would a macbook be able to run, Logic, Absynth etc with no additional hardware?
You can run them without any additional hardware.
And would it have enough processing power/memory?
Depends on your usage, but on average, yes, plenty of folks make music like that.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Thanks for your replies Zexila.

I'm asking all this from a purely technical point of view...is a macbook up to the job of running Logic plus plugins, and is its digital to analogue conversion good enough if I plug straight into the headphone socket.

By production work, I mean largely sound design etc. If I can do that in a quiet room on my lunch break, I could still do other production work at home. I already compose on the go using garageband + iphone + midi keyboard, but Sound Design and production work would require Logic, for me at least.

Liney wrote:is a macbook up to the job of running Logic plus plugins, and is its digital to analogue conversion good enough if I plug straight into the headphone socket.
Yes on both points, Logic is really optimized to work good on given hardware and I'm not only one that is happy with internal sound card, I got late 2006 white Macbook, can bet newer ones have even better ones on board.
By production work, I mean largely sound design etc.
It will do for sure, but than again, which Macbook, newest one, Pro, Air...?
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Well, we actually have a family macbook with the following specs. Would this be enough?

13-inch MacBook Air
With the following configuration:
• 1.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
• Intel HD Graphics 6000
• 4GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
• 128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
• Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
• Accessory Kit

Liney wrote:Thanks for your replies Zexila.

I'm asking all this from a purely technical point of view...is a macbook up to the job of running Logic plus plugins, and is its digital to analogue conversion good enough if I plug straight into the headphone socket.

By production work, I mean largely sound design etc. If I can do that in a quiet room on my lunch break, I could still do other production work at home. I already compose on the go using garageband + iphone + midi keyboard, but Sound Design and production work would require Logic, for me at least.
Go for it. The Macbook is absolutely fine for that.

This is how I use one of my Macbooks, when I'm mobile and working from various places, all I have is the Macbook, a pair of good headphones and a midi controller.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Liney wrote:Well, we actually have a family macbook with the following specs. Would this be enough?

13-inch MacBook Air
With the following configuration:
• 1.6GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5, Turbo Boost up to 2.7GHz
• Intel HD Graphics 6000
• 4GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
• 128GB PCIe-based Flash Storage
• Backlit Keyboard (British) & User's Guide (English)
• Accessory Kit
Yeah for sure, I got by with this thing, you will too I'm sure with that one. :tu:
https://everymac.com/systems/apple/macb ... specs.html

Awesome - thank you very much for your help. I might get some time to get some more music done! :o)

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”