The secret of musical success, finally revealed here!

How to do this, that and the other. Share, learn, teach. How did X do that? How can I sound like Y?
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Following the electronic music development of the last decades you can see that todays possibilities are not the perfect overall solution.
The early pioneers had to struggle to get their few synths in sync and had to create their sounds from scratch until it fits the tracks and stays in tune.

Today you can choose between thousands of virtual instruments with billions of sounds as well as billions of ready loops to combine.
So you don´t need a musical or specific knowledge anymore to create your own tunes.
The process of creating music went from an art to kind of drag and drop or copy and paste.
As a result of this development music became an industrial mass product and lost the exceptional state that it deserves.

Some great bands died because they lost their magic and inspiration and this happens for many reasons.
You have a contract to fulfil, but can´t deliver music in time in a sufficient quality.
Your music just doesn´t fit the time anymore.
You had big success because of a revolutionary idea or concept and want to repeat and perfectionize it again and again.

The last point killed most of my favourite artists or I quit listen to them, because they became to static and sometimes mainstream.
Their songs or tracks became lifeless, too polished, too perfect or repetitive.

Music comes to life through the small imperfections/fluctuations of tuning and timing, that´s why the early synths sound so organic and pleasing ;)
With digital tools and gear it is hard work and needs fundamental knowledge to recreate this in a natural sounding manner.

You can find good tracks or tunes which are touching you in all musical styles, if you´re open enough.

There are four basic parts of ourselves, which can be touched by music.
Body, emotions, mind and spirit.

There´s the 4 on the floor which is aimed mainly at your physical need and desires.
It helps to release pressure and calms the mind.
That´s why mostly young people prefer this style.
They have a lot of pressure to release and their minds are too fixated on bodies and what you can do with it :D

Hip Hop and hard styles, like all kinds of metal and hard rock are often aimed at the release of aggression and frustration.
Often consumed by guys that don´t get the girls from above ;)

Than there is music for your heart like ballads with greedy lyrics, created with nice harmonies and softer slow rhythms.

Classical music or songwriter stuff is mostly preferred by the mental orientated audience.

I leave the spiritual aspect out here...

There is no strict separation or classification and there are all kinds of mixed combinations available.

What I want to say is, music isn´t anymore the exceptionary thing that it should be.
It is often consumed on the go and not listened to in too many cases.
That´s why I hate Spotify and all kinds of streaming services.

Music that touches you is a gift.
It is a special moment where special circumstances come together that you should be aware of.
Don´t try to replicate the experience whenever you want, enjoy it when it happens.

Don´t make music to celebrate yourself or try to copy the fame of others and participate on their magic.
If the reasons for your musical attempts are becoming as famous as..., getting as rich as... and gain irresistable sexual attraction, go and find a good psychologist to help you.

Music is a living art.

Just my 2 cents.

hmm.. idk about that.
imho the biggest change between now and old days, is that nowadays you do not only play an instrument, but you have to build the instrument first.

The classical music songwriter writes notes for the violin, trumpet, flute, ..
He does not spend a single minute to think about how the violin should sound like.
That's the big new thing on the digital workflow.

On my prefferd genre (psytrance) you basically have 3 different types of producers:
- The old-school musican that doesn't care much about the synth and only switches presets.
He can be successfull if his compositions are great, but there will always be ppl comaining about "nah, this mainstream 0815 sound as known from 10mio. other artsts (as they all use same presets).
- The experimental tech-geek. He doesn't care much about arrangement and composition, but about sound design / synth knobs. He is not likely to have any success outside if his experimental genre.
- The musican with deep tech knowlege.
This are the guys that manage it to constantly deliver one mind-blowing album after the other.
They are able to combine both, knowlege of a tech guy to design nice sounds on the synths and knowlege of a musican, to make a nice song from it.

So yes, making music did become waaay easier with digital DAW and VSTs, if the synth has a preset of the sound you want to have.
If you are after designing your own sounds, making music did actually become waaay more complex. It is not about to tune 3 knobs on the e-guitar amplifier and than play a melody, but you need to build that e-guitar and amplifier first.

Thank you for your feedback, but it made me smile.
Imagine the ancient composers saying "Uh, this 0815 piano or violin sound I already heard too often from..."

It depends on the genre, but I prefer a good arrangement to a unique sound.

PhilG wrote:Thank you for your feedback, but it made me smile.
Imagine the ancient composers saying "Uh, this 0815 piano or violin sound I already heard too often from..."

It depends on the genre, but I prefer a good arrangement to a unique sound.
Yeah, that's the point.
Music is completly subjective.

If you read research stuff about what makes music successfull, it is about easy to follow, engraving song structure / melodies that everyone can remeber easily.
Most successfull modern songs (Elton John, Elivs, Beatles, ..) are composed based on a single chord. Something f**king damn stupid everyone can follow, but it must sound nice.

It has nothing to do with organic delay vs digital synth or whatever.
For the mainstream other stuff is relevant.

For electronic genres (no, electronic is not mainstream yet) that new posiblities of the digital world come into the game and folks there start to listen for it.
If you look at genres like Dark Psytrance, it is not about melody, rythm, or small imperfections .. it is about to tune synth knobs until you created that kind of unique strange fuzzy sound you want to make. It has nothing todo with the traditional approach of making music... but this is nowhere mainstream :D

The problem with fashion is it goes out of fashion.

Phil: whilst I agree with some of your views, in fairness I doubt that people making money and optimistically looking for opportunities within this music business will agree with much of your slant.

Music is still, and always will be extraordinary to those who want it and look for it.
Trouble is Phil, you're getting old.

Anyway, if you want to talk about the 'secret of musical success', check out The Manual by the KLF. Written 27 years ago by UK ambient musicians who just happened to be darn good at selling dance-pop records globally, it's much more cynical than many other people's take on musical (fame and fortune) success. Moreover, its advice scored a Scandinavian pop act a Number One hit, and it was written by people who had 'bought the t-shirt' and burnt a million quid for the hell of it.

Shit i dont know what the eff you jokers are on about

Return to “Production Techniques”