Soundspot Percolate.....worth it for £1?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So Soundspot are having a Black Friday sale, with a few of their plugins selling for £1 each. I'm looking at Percolate, but can't find any reviews/blog posts/YouTube videos about it at all. So I don't know if it's worth it? I won't be in my studio before the end of the sale, so I can't demo it.

It looks like a preset EQ (sort of like a graphic), with the intention of treating drum loops to shift the emphasis (i.e. bring out or push back the snare/hi-hats/other percussion). I accept that normally, a restrictive EQ would be crap, it'd be much better to use a parametric to get that precision. I'm looking at this for tracking, not for mixing, just to get it roughly sitting right, and for £1, it's a bargain if it's not garbage. However, I have Manny Marroquin EQ from Waves, and that also has preset, switchable frequencies - I was thinking I could note the frequencies from Percolate, and just use those on MM EQ to the same end? In which case, I'll save the £1!

Link is here, for those interested - https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/3052-Percolate

Save the time and money. All Soundspot are nicely packaged junk.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

Percolate and KickBox can do nothing more that you can with few clics on eq, i tried while ago.

Michael L wrote:Save the time and money. All Soundspot are nicely packaged junk.
I don't think there have been many people more critical of Soundspot than me on the boards, but this is clearly hyperbole. Their tools certainly aren't worth the MSRP, but to call them junk is absurd. Even if some of them are sub-par for the asking price, I don't think they've released a single plugin that wasn't worth the <$13 introductory price they usually give. I'd say $1 is likely worth it for any of the plugins in their catalog.
svrc wrote:Percolate and KickBox can do nothing more that you can with few clics on eq, i tried while ago.
What you say it 100% true with Percolate. It's just an EQ, and quite a bad one at that. However, Kickbox is also a compressor, so I would say it has a bit more utility than just an EQ. Though, at the end of the day, I don't see either of these plugins doing anything that you couldn't do with stock tools.

I'd say, if you're only considering these plugins because they're $1 each, then don't waste your money. :)

I bought a few of the £1 ones last night. Actually not bad to be honest.

Just threw kick box on a kick and another on a bass and they come out with the desired effect. It's an EQ and comp in one. EQs the bass and gives you an option to enhance the click part of the kick and remove any boxyness.

The mid/side EQ one isn't bad either. Very subtle but worth £1

Soundspot and PB are gaming the system. Soundspot is using old basic algos you can download anywhere, and PB are saying they're 99% off, together exploiting folks who will buy shiny junk if its cheap. I emailed PB who said they would talk to Soundspot about releasing a better version, but they both just released more of the same junk.

Edit: I also emailed Soundspot with links to better algo downloads. I am mostly disappointed they are wasting their obvious talent for GUI design on poor quality under the hood.
Last edited by Michael L on Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F E E D
Y O U R
F L O W

that may be the case but I've still had more use out of some of their junk than I've had a use out of things which have cost £100s

each to their own.

Anybody know how long these soundspot $1 deals are going on?

It's still on. Till Jan 3rd I think.

Its bs, HOAX. I had soundspot's nebula and it worked fine. But when i shopped oracle, kickbox and overtone. They dont work. I changed programs, still plugins failured.

I emailed to soundspot, they say they gonna check and fix the problem. But they never answered back anymore. Dont support these thief manufacturers. No real customerservice or nothing. :( support real manufacturers.

Btw. Is there somewhere in internet list of manufacturers that care about their customers?:)

I get the feeling Soundspot aren't a full-fledged plugin development house but just a marketing shell for putting fancy GUIs on top of entry level, 3rd-world outsourced code (or templated open-source stuff). I like their mid/side panner (Propane), Focus is reasonably interesting, as is Halcyon saturator. Worth a pound - sure - but keep expectations low and you're not losing out. You might be pleasantly surprised but not at full price.

Return to “Effects”