Plugin Boutique Scaler vs Cubase built in chord functionality?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Watching videos on the new Scaler plugin and it looks pretty impressive: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 933-Scaler

How does Cubase's built in chord functionality compare to this product? I know Cubase can do chord progressions, and will offer suggestions on chords, etc - but does it go as deep into modes and Jazz chords as Scaler seems to? Any features missing in Cubase? Still very new to cubase and unfortunately have not used the chord functionality yet so I cant really compare the two. Would love some opinions. Thanks!!

I had been eyeing Cubase's Chord Track for a long time. Just bought Scalar, watched all the videos. Definitely can you translate a catchy riff into a more cohesive chord structure.

downloading Scaler ... some time ago (when I was a newbie FL user...) created a video with RapidComposer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwk4SmzMRp4

needs only the lite version (it not contains the fancy generators), just to able to compare with it
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

ahamm, played with trial of Scaler, can't see DAW transport linking(sync), ofc. it hasn't got any phrase related functionality, can't build any kind of chord structure, chord selector is far more limited so >> http://www.musicdevelopments.com/shop.html $ 79 > 53 Light Edition (42.12 EUR) ;) maybe if it would be a free one ...

I've been looking for something like Scaler for a while. I did try cubase chord track for a few months but found it awkward to use and eventually gave up on it, and ultimately moved to Studio One anyway.

From the videos Scaler seems a lot more slick than RC for trying out how chords will sound together. RC seems somewhat cumbersome in that respect. I was also put off RC by the mickey mouse sounds of general midi in the tutorial vids when I watched them a few months back, no way could I write music with those sounds! I believe it can use VSTi's instead, a pity they didnt do so in the tutorials. At sale prices RC Light still costs a fair bit more than scaler too (£48 vs £30).

I haven't tried demos of either yet but if I get chance this weekend I shall.

Psyclapse wrote:I've been looking for something like Scaler for a while. I did try cubase chord track for a few months but found it awkward to use and eventually gave up on it, and ultimately moved to Studio One anyway.

From the videos Scaler seems a lot more slick than RC for trying out how chords will sound together. RC seems somewhat cumbersome in that respect. I was also put off RC by the mickey mouse sounds of general midi in the tutorial vids when I watched them a few months back, no way could I write music with those sounds! I believe it can use VSTi's instead, a pity they didnt do so in the tutorials. At sale prices RC Light still costs a fair bit more than scaler too (£48 vs £30).

I haven't tried demos of either yet but if I get chance this weekend I shall.
Scaler (I've played it only 5 mins) based on chords, RC based on generators(chord, drum etc.)/phrases(small MIDI clips) which ones can be imported from outside / linked(ghosted)together / mutated infinite ways(linked,ghosted,inherited properties can be overwritten in the different linked instances) / assigned to a master chords track etc. etc. etc. check the video ;) , and yep RC should be used as VST (synced with the actual project,transporter)

xbitz wrote:Scaler (I've played it only 5 mins) based on chords, RC based on generators(chord, drum etc.)/phrases(small MIDI clips)
Sure, but for me I am only interested in a tool to help me create chord progressions. Drum patterns, phrases and any other stuff that RC is able to do is not going to be of any value to me.

ok then, only the chord related things, the suggestion system is rule based(check the video) u have one master chord track which is assigned to all the tracks below it, chords/inversion/transposing is a quite freely assignable in it, creating open chord structure also possible freely, chords can previewed master/phrase level, built chord progression can be dropped/merged (in)to anywhere in(to) the timeline (keeps the already exist ones) >>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSlA_dtk_UA

can create any kind of voicing, melody auto-harmonizing also supported, I'm also not a power user hope it helped :?
Last edited by xbitz on Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thanks a lot for that. :tu: It shows some interesting features that I did not know about, esp the chord suggestion windows around 2.00 minutes. Like I say I will try to find time to try the demos next few days.

http://www.jasminemusic.com

Free windows only and standalone

Pretty ancient but hugely powerful

http://www.jasminemusic.com/onyx.htm

The midi efx chains are so much fun to play with and can generate some great dynamic playing styles

Most will probably give up after 5 minutes though as its not instant gratification

Also check out

http://www.jasminemusic.com/se40.htm
Amazon: why not use an alternative

One thing I notice with the Scaler demo is if you drag a midi sequence from Scaler to Studio One then instead of it dropping into the current song it creates a new song and drops it there. So then then you have to copy-paste it back to your main song. :?

Does Scaler have a support forum?

InsertNameHere wrote:Watching videos on the new Scaler plugin and it looks pretty impressive: https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... 933-Scaler

How does Cubase's built in chord functionality compare to this product? I know Cubase can do chord progressions, and will offer suggestions on chords, etc - but does it go as deep into modes and Jazz chords as Scaler seems to? Any features missing in Cubase? Still very new to cubase and unfortunately have not used the chord functionality yet so I cant really compare the two. Would love some opinions. Thanks!!
This looks like a nice little plugin for those looking for some similar functionality to Cubase's various chord functions.

However, Cubase can do quite a bit more, and due to it being fully integrated it offers some great related functionality you can't get via a plugin, plus all in all is far slicker and easier to use it seems.

Cubase's chord track functionality lets you set out your progression on it's own track, and offers suggestions for the next chord in the sequence if you want.

Also, every track in your project can be set to harmonise with the Chord track, which a choice of by chord or scale. Incredibly, this includes audio tracks if they are using Variaudio! 8)

The editors in Cubase, either MIDI or Variaudio audio tracks show notes/audio segments in a colour that lets you know if they are in scale, in chord, or out of scale.

So, if all tracks are 'following' your Chord track, then you can make changes to chords in the Chord track and your whole composition will harmonically follow so no need to go and adjust every track.

In addition to all that, there's Cubase's Chord Pad player, which can for example replicate Scaler's chord progression presets, but can also do much more. For example, using a CC modulation input of your choice, say mod wheel or expression pedal, you can as you are playing
live, change the likes of the voicing of your chord pads. You can of course change this manually as well with simple controls. Plus you can do things like choose to include bass notes, 7 note chords, 5 note etc etc.

Also, and this is really cool, you can drag any MIDI part to a pad if you are in MIDI loop mode, and that pad will then play the MIDI part using any instrument track you have armed harmonised to your project. 8)

I personally typically play all my chords live, but chorders can still be fun for somethings, especially when sketching ideas.

I could go on about all the other ace MIDI functionality Cubase has but that's for another thread. It's hard to argue against the fact that Cubase is the best DAW for MIDI though. 8)

Bought it (with Bitwig 2 upgrade, yay!) after watching some videos. This is what I was looking for, something simple and quick. But damn, took me almost an hour to download that 40 MB and I have a 200 Mbps connection. Bring me back memories of my old 14.4 modem.

Psyclapse wrote:One thing I notice with the Scaler demo is if you drag a midi sequence from Scaler to Studio One then instead of it dropping into the current song it creates a new song and drops it there. So then then you have to copy-paste it back to your main song. :?

Does Scaler have a support forum?
Yes confirmed, I was trying the demo out last night and had the same problem (i.e. creates a new song rather than dragging into the current one) ... very frustrating. I did find Scaler quite interesting to work with for exploring & formulating ideas but that issue in S1 is a pain for me.

don1thedon wrote:Yes confirmed, I was trying the demo out last night and had the same problem (i.e. creates a new song rather than dragging into the current one) ... very frustrating. I did find Scaler quite interesting to work with for exploring & formulating ideas but that issue in S1 is a pain for me.
Thanks for confirming.

Someone from the project team contacted me to say they will investigate.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”