Novation Launchkey 61 MKII or Impulse 61?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I really don't know if I should be getting the Launchkey 61 MK2 or The Impulse 61. My DAW of choice is Ableton Live 9.
What I like about the Launchkey is the out of the box integration with Live and the way its pads can be used with the session view.
Other than that I'm not a big fan of the build quality nor it's key bed. In comparison, the Impulse seems to have a more steady build with noticeably better and heavier keys, although it was made back in 2011 (Launchkey MK2 was made in 2015 if I'm correct).
How do the faders, knobs and pads compare to Launchkey's? Will I be able to use Impulse's pads in Ableton Live's session view in the same way as Launchkey's?
And lastly, I've seen many people on the web complaining about the Automap system, with some even preferring Launchkey's in control system over it.
With all that in mind and without the price difference being an issue here, which one should I choose?
My budget for a midi keyboard is $400, if you would like to recommend something else feel free to do so.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by JacoTheSlime on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Launchkey is cheaper than the Impulse. The Impulse used to sell around 300 € for the 49 key version, and probably 380-400 € for the 61 key version, while the Launchkey has been sold cheaper initially. The keys aren't "semi-weighted" like on the Impulse, and it lacks Aftertouch too, if you place value on that. Also, the Impulse has endless encoders, while the Launchkey has potis. I wouldn't really consider that a disadvantage though... i already had to send my Impulse to Novation once, because the endless encoders were jumping in value, after 8 months of really, really moderate use (i'd even call it very small use). In my experience, the non-endless encoders are more durable, and don't mess up after very short usage.

I guess it's rather a matter of taste. TBH, i don't mind whether the key are semi-weighted or not, the Impulse keys also feel like synth action keys. I wouldn't necessarily need Aftertouch either, especially as it is implemented mostly very poorly on those "entry" level keyboards. And, i really, really start to hate endless encoders, so i rather feel the absence of those are rather an advantage than a disadvantage. I must say though that the way you can configure the settings of the Impulse (key velocity, drum pad velocity, MIDI splits, arpeggiator settings etc. is very nice on the Impulse, and kind of what i'd call exemplary. The navigation through menus is so much better than on my former keyboard, the M-Audio Axiom 2nd gen, that it really makes life easier, while on the Axiom, it was more of a pain to set up things, because you had to hit 4 buttons successively to reach most settings. The Impulse almost feels like a hardware synth, both in haptic, and in terms of menu diving.

BTW, for the money the Launchkey costs, you could just pay 50 € more, and get the M-Audio Code 61: https://www.thomann.de/de/m_audio_code_ ... arch_prv_7

And you'd get Aftertouch, a better keybed (i heard that it's pretty decent) with actual semi-weighted keys, and endless encoders :x :P on top. TBH, i'd rather get that. Novation stuff IMO hasn't the best build quality ever. Neither has M-Audio, but, it's less expensive. Actually, i'd think the M-Audio Code has the best price/performance ration at that price point.

Oh, and about Automap: I don't use it at all. TBH, i found it cumbersome and buggy. First, it makes copy of all the plugins you activate Automap for, which, for example, means that you won't be able to share projects you made in your DAW with others, unless they happen to use Automap too, and some plugins even don't like that double thing, and only let you load the Automap version of the plugin, for instance. Note that you won't be able to use advanced functions of the keyboard, like mapping different sets of controls, and switch easily and quick between them without Automap though. TBH, i can live with though. Especially when you create large mappings, with 6 or 7 pages of controls, it easily gets confusing anyway, especially when you switch between plugins, which don't have the same controls, or features anyway. I only use "normal" MIDI mapping in the end, because i don't want to work with Automap. I really don't know why no company has yet created a system which is easy to use, maintained, and works issue free. M-Audio's DirectLink was very lame, for example.

If you can find a good Remote SL MKII I would go with that. Live integration is really really good lately, with very similar control as Push. In fact when Push 2 is also in use here you get the instant instrument selection you get in Push on the MKII as well. This is all without Automap!!

You can get an SL MKKII 61 on ebay refurbished for unde $200.

machinesworking wrote:If you can find a good Remote SL MKII I would go with that. Live integration is really really good lately, with very similar control as Push. In fact when Push 2 is also in use here you get the instant instrument selection you get in Push on the MKII as well. This is all without Automap!!

You can get an SL MKKII 61 on ebay refurbished for unde $200.
Good advice. I use a ReMote SL v1 with Live & Push2. The integration is spot on (without Automap). The SL is semi-weighted with aftertouch.

I would take the Remote SL MK2, it has a very nice action (better than the other Novation controllers).

chk071 wrote:BTW, for the money the Launchkey costs, you could just pay 50 € more, and get the M-Audio Code 61
Not a huge fan of M-Audio but the Code 61 seems interesting. I'll try finding some reviews and how it compares with the keyboards I mentioned. By the way, I'm leaning more towards the Launchkey than Impulse.
Also if I manage to find a new Remote SL MKII around that price I'm obviously getting that.

This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

If you care about keys I would avoid both.

Roland A800 Pro or NI Kontrol MK2 would be fmy choices.
dedication to flying

The keys on the Impulse aren't bad though, IMO. Rather synth action, but, comfortable synth action. I don't think you can expect a very good keybed in the price range he/she is looking. But, maybe the Remote SL is pretty good indeed. But, also more pricey, unless you buy used, which, in my case, wouldn't be an option, because i never knew how the person owning the keyboard before me treated the thing.

Zexila wrote:Read comments in videos too, I would avoid this thing.
I'm sure you can find people online having issues with any keyboard.
rod_zero wrote:If you care about keys I would avoid both.

Roland A800 Pro or NI Kontrol MK2 would be fmy choices.
Having good keys is always a plus. I was having a look on the Roland A800 earlier but this mod/pitch stick totally killed it for me.

JacoTheSlime wrote:
Zexila wrote:Read comments in videos too, I would avoid this thing.
I'm sure you can find people online having issues with any keyboard.
It's your money really, when tons of people have same issues, I believe it's not coincidence, but hey, whatever floats your boat. :tu:
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”