Arturia V Collection 6

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Buchla Easel V Clavinet V CMI V DX7 V

Arturia should do the Con Brio 200 next.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

Really liking the buchla not sure about the others. Got the FM8 and a sample bank of the cmi. Don't see the point of replication

fmr wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
akeia wrote:
wagtunes wrote:An IOS app does absolutely nothing for me.
Depending on the individual circumstances you can f.e. do sound design while commuting. Sketch songs on the road...
I don't commute. And when I do get in my car, the last thing I'm going to do is fiddle with an app while I'm trying to keep my eyes on the road.

Make no mistake about it, I have ZERO use for IOS and will always have ZERO use for IOS.
Never mind :borg: There are people around here pretending they do A LOT with iOS toys, yet I still saw nothing worth mention being published or showed.

The only useful stuff I saw an iPad being used for is when it is used as a controller or programmer for something.
I do a lot with iPad, when most of the time I'm not bothered to fire up a computer and other hardware. The iPads are always within reach. And I find inspiration in a mobile, quick effort and instant approach, with excellent synths and fx, and then exporting the best bits if needed.
For me, it's a great recreational, instant and comfortable solution.

As for nothing worth mentioning being published. iPad is not ideal for full productions.
But if you've never found great bits made with an iPad, whether it being dj-ing, modular stuff, beats, or used as a recording machine, you haven't looked much around.
Cats are intended to teach us that not everything in nature has a function | http://soundcloud.com/bmoorebeats

<delete>
Last edited by egbert101 on Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

BMoore wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
BMoore wrote:
ghettosynth wrote:
BMoore wrote:
hellomrbike wrote:So, here's something I've been mulling over with regards to upgrading to V6:

I am casually interested in the Buchla, CMI, and DX7 emulations, and Synclavier from V5, but at the same time, I honestly don't know whether they're worth the $200. Specifically, the fact that the latter three are emulations of digital synthesizers means that "analogue-ness" is now a non-factor, and I don't think many people are clamouring for that "1983 16-bit DAC" sound.

And in a world where Serum, FM8, Razor, Harmor, etc. exist to do cutting edge additive/wavetable/FM synthesis, it seems really hard to justify buying emulations of synthesizers which use deliberately out-of-date or arcane implementations of these synthesis methods.

Basically, what I'd like to know is: Has anyone here fallen in love with the Synclavier, CMI, or DX7 emulations on a sound design level? Or, if you've been using them semi-frequently, in what capacity are they used?
Here's a tip. Download the demos.

Oh cmon, it's a valid question and the demos are too short to really dig into the details of any of the instruments that he's talking about.
It's plenty of time to know if you're gonna fall in love regarding sound design. It's also a question of workflow, in which hands-on is the best way to find out.
I disagree, as do others. If you don't want to talk about it why don't you find a thread that suits you? As I said, it's a valid question and I find that discussing synths and sharing experiences is often as valuable as demoing them yourselves.

That's what we do here.

To be clear, of course, it wasn't a question, it was an assertion and others have joined into the conversation and offered their input so it looks like more than a few people think that it's valid to have a discussion about a synth's features.
If you want to discuss synth features without demoing them, go ahead. No one is stopping you. My statement is true for me, and others. I couldn't care less about what you think.
Why are you assuming people don't also demo the synths? I have been demoing them, but also acknowledge that I'm not very experienced with FM / additive synthesis. So, I'm attempting to supplement my own limited knowledge by asking for opinions from people who (presumably) are more familiar with these techniques.

@hellomrbike

Believe me, I get where you're coming from. A lot of people forget what it was like when they were first getting into synthesis. For me, it was a total mystery. Even my first synth, a simple Moog Sonic Six with a filter, 2 oscillators and 2 lfos had me totally baffled and all I could do was make sci fi noises with it.

And all along the way, from learning FM to learning additive to learning how to actually put together a modular setup was excruciatingly difficult for me. So I try not to forget where I came from and what it was like.

The problem is, everybody's experience is different. Everybody's perception is different. So trying to get feedback from anybody, no matter how receptive they are and willing to help, is almost pointless because it's never going to match your own perception once you actually dive in. In short, nobody can stick their brain inside of you and make you think the way they think.

That's why I truly believe that the best way to learn anything about synthesis, regardless of what kind it is, is to do it yourself. Read books. Watch videos. Get as much hands on as you can. There is no substitute for figuring it out for yourself. That's how I did it. That's why it took me so long. But I'm dependent on no one for finding my way around a synth's architecture. The only thing that gives me trouble is when an interface has 20 gazillion layers and you simply can't find things because they're buried so deep. HALion 6 is a perfect example. But that's not really a synth by itself. It's more like a development platform. And yes, those things give me fits because as one person said, there are 20 ways to do one thing. So for HALion I had to crack open the manual just to find stuff.

But as far as synthesis methods (subtractive, additive, wavetable, etc.) the best way to learn them is to just dive in. Turn knobs. See what things do. Eventually, you WILL figure out stuff unless you're as dumb as a block of wood. But anybody with even average intelligence can find their way around just about any synth if they put their mind to it.

Like Nike says, just do it.

beely wrote:
braj wrote:Yes, please emulate this next Arturia! It was my first 'keyboard' ever!
Mine too!

There is an emulation for Kontakt that even models the "synth" mode...
Someone needs to redo it for 64 bit with ZDF filters and a working calculator! :hyper:
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

i'm quite taken w/ the buchla easel V ...
i found the demo a more than adequate sales tool ...

experimental.crow wrote:i'm quite taken w/ the buchla easel V ...
Really, I'm not quite sure why people seem to get annoyed at other people who want to talk about synths on a discussion forum? Really, it's a discussion forum, you know, those places where you have discussions. So there's a new product, let's talk about the new product and share experiences.

ghettosynth wrote:
experimental.crow wrote:i'm quite taken w/ the buchla easel V ...
Really, I'm not quite sure why people seem to get annoyed at other people who want to talk about synths on a discussion forum? Really, it's a discussion forum, you know, those places where you have discussions. So there's a new product, let's talk about the new product and share experiences.
please do discuss ...

wagtunes wrote: That's why I truly believe that the best way to learn anything about synthesis, regardless of what kind it is, is to do it yourself. Read books. Watch videos. Get as much hands on as you can. There is no substitute for figuring it out for yourself. That's how I did it. That's why it took me so long. But I'm dependent on no one for finding my way around a synth's architecture.
Ok, but, and I don't disagree generally, you just asked me a question above filter cutoff scaling not a few hours ago.

There isn't one way to learn but that's true for each of us as well. Talking, reading, listening, even teaching others, are all great ways to learn. Of course getting hands on helps and yes most of us have a dominant learning style.

Anyway, back to kibitzing and all that.

wagtunes wrote:
akeia wrote:
Depending on the individual circumstances you can f.e. do sound design while commuting. Sketch songs on the road...
I don't commute. And when I do get in my car, the last thing I'm going to do is fiddle with an app while I'm trying to keep my eyes on the road.

Make no mistake about it, I have ZERO use for IOS and will always have ZERO use for IOS.
Strong words. You sound angry about iOS devices which seems a bit odd as they're just tools.

Oh, and not everyone commutes by automobile which is probably what the other poster was referring to. I would expect they weren't referring to doing music production while driving tho I have seen people practicing trumpet while driving on the expressway (or reading the paper, shaving, etc).

ghettosynth wrote:
wagtunes wrote: That's why I truly believe that the best way to learn anything about synthesis, regardless of what kind it is, is to do it yourself. Read books. Watch videos. Get as much hands on as you can. There is no substitute for figuring it out for yourself. That's how I did it. That's why it took me so long. But I'm dependent on no one for finding my way around a synth's architecture.
Ok, but, and I don't disagree generally, you just asked me a question above filter cutoff scaling not a few hours ago.

There isn't one way to learn but that's true for each of us as well. Talking, reading, listening, even teaching others, are all great ways to learn. Of course getting hands on helps and yes most of us have a dominant learning style.

Anyway, back to kibitzing and all that.
Difference between using filter cutoff scaling and creating a module with it. I downloaded the synth and had no problem figuring out what the control did. I could hear the effect it had on the sound.

My question was concerning how to actually design a synth with this functionality. Certainly you can see the vast difference in difficulty between the two things.

I may not be able to create a wavetable synth but I sure know how to use one and even create my own wavetables and that I figured out all on my own.

You just can't compare the two things. Most synthesis functions I'm am 99% sure that any average person out on the street could learn how to use just by playing around with them. It takes a great deal of dedication to learn how to build a synth.

Why the disdain for iOS?
If you have requests for Korg VST features or changes, they are listening at https://support.korguser.net/hc/en-us/requests/new

jasonekratz wrote:
wagtunes wrote:
akeia wrote:

Strong words. You sound angry about iOS devices which seems a bit odd as they're just tools.

Oh, and not everyone commutes by automobile which is probably what the other poster was referring to. I would expect they weren't referring to doing music production while driving tho I have seen people practicing trumpet while driving on the expressway (or reading the paper, shaving, etc).
Not angry at all. Hard to be angry about something that you have absolutely no interest in. My point was simply that you can't compare an IOS app to a desktop app. They are two different animals and, IMO, for two different kinds of users. Sure, somebody mentioned that there are ways to integrate an IOS app into a Windows environment. But why would I want to go through all that hassle when all I have to do with a VST is download, install and done? I'm lazy. I want to do as little work as possible and as much music as possible. That's why IOS apps don't interest me in the least and they never will UNLESS they make them so that I can EASILY install them on my PC and they're completely compatible with my DAW. That's the only way I would consider one. I mean when there's so much stuff available that's so easy to use, why should I beat my head against a wall with IOS?

Makes no sense at all.

Return to “Instruments”