Looking For Recommendations for BFD Expansion Packs

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi Guys, what are your recommendations for BFD expansion packs? If I ended up getting Jim Scott, Barresi, and Andy Johns would I be pretty covered for rock?

I recall the Deluxe library that Steve Alibini was involved in making had some mixed reviews (mostly very positive) with some raving about them and some saying elements of the kick sounded unnatural. Does this one still hold up in 2015 and anything over the over three Platinum Samples?

What about Rock Legends? I can't find much about that and how good it is.

Thanks in advance!

You'd definitely be pretty covered. The Manic Love kit is good too. If you want specialty era related kits, check out the Sonic Reality expansions.
too much is never enough. - gmontano on esoundz.com

One word, 'Oblivion'

I have all the official BFD Expansions from the FXpansion site, (bar Marching Bands, Orchestral and the Japanese percussion), plus the Nick Mason and Niel Peart and a few others from elsewhere, haven't been disappointed with any of them. The Zildjian and Sabian Digital Vaults and the 2 Signature Snare Expansions come in handy (Stanton Moore Cymbals is also growing on me)
Say NO to CLAP!

Jazz 'n Funk, I couldn't live without.

Thanks guys for all the recommendations and suggestions. I ended up getting one of the Joe Barresi packs and one of the Jim Scott packs. The Andy Johns pack seemed great but a bit old school for my taste. I'm also thinking I will eventually get the Deluxe pack as well as the snares seem pretty rad on that one.

AC222 wrote:Hi Guys, what are your recommendations for BFD expansion packs? If I ended up getting Jim Scott, Barresi, and Andy Johns would I be pretty covered for rock?

I recall the Deluxe library that Steve Alibini was involved in making had some mixed reviews (mostly very positive) with some raving about them and some saying elements of the kick sounded unnatural. Does this one still hold up in 2015 and anything over the over three Platinum Samples?

What about Rock Legends? I can't find much about that and how good it is.

Thanks in advance!
What kind of music are you looking to make. I'm assuming rock, but any particular type? Here are my thoughts:

1. Deluxe: very "wooly" sounding. Not the most in your face sounds, loose tunings on the heads, kinda dark, but works great for roomy, raw, drum sounds. If you know Steve Albini's work, this works best when aiming for that particular section of the ballpark. However, that means this isn't quite as versatile as other packs IMO. The hat articulations are a little weird on this one, where things like the open articulation might be better when remapped to 3/4 for this pack, whereas with other packs they translate better. I also find the rides to be really quiet on this pack, and the toms always sound like they're hit hard even at lower velocities. All in all, not a bad pack to have if you already have others, but what I'd consider a great all rounder.

2. Joe Baressi: Awesome for hard rock, and even moderate to indie rock depending on the kit. This is one of those packs where even when I'm not using whole kits, I'll often mix and match kit pieces with content from other packs (just be mindful that about half the content was recorded in one room, the rest at a different studio). Very good pack for modern rock styles.

3. Andy Johns: This one will go through periods of being my favorite. First the critiques: I find it a little too bright at times (can be fixed in the mix), and like Deluxe, I feel like the toms could be more mellow at lower velocities. Other than that, I find this pack works for a lot of different styles, and the drums themselves sound great. Pretty good for an all rounder.

4. Jim Scott: This pack is another one that can work on a variety styles (even has a brush kit) except perhaps the hardest modern rock. Really like the drums, the room, and the recording here. My least favorite kits are actually the Chad Smith and Steve Ferrone kit, as they sound a bit too slick even, but most people love those. Good stuff here too.

5. Rock Legends: This is just a good well recorded kit. Would work for classic to modern rock, and it's nice having these kit pieces. It's one that every time I load it up, I wonder why I don't use it more. The fact of the matter is, most of my tracks start with a kit that's combined from Andy Johns and Joe Baressi that I find just works for most of what I do lately, but this is a damn fine kit too.

6. Manic Love: If you want a pretty damn authentic John Bonham sound circa Zeppelin II, this is where you'd go. It completely nails the Whole Lotta Love drum sound. The Manic Depression kit is spot on too, but I honestly find that kit a little too jazzy in it's tuning to find use for it in my recordings.

Hope those mini reviews help.

Funkybot's Evil Twin you are a true legend! Seriously, a couple of things I want to say before even commenting further. I read all your posts that I come across and find they are always spot and. And second, I know it took some time to write all that but I actually really, really appreciate all of it so it was not all for nothing.

Indeed, you are correct that I am going for the hard rock sound. From checking out the audio demos, I found there were elements that I like from various packs.

I LOVE Barresi's kicks. I bought his tracking/mixing rock videos and see he does a lot of cool stuff like using a Focusrite Red on tracking and then lots and lots of processing with a combination of subharmonic generators, kick compression (Ridge Farms Boiler) blended with a dry signal, and then bussing to a Tube Tech stereo compressor. Those kicks sound so beefy. To me, it's the way I think a kick should sound :) Love the toms as well.

I don't always dig Joe's snare sounds. Sometimes a bit tubby for my taste sometimes they are perfect for hard hitting hard rock. I don't hear as much detail in the cymbals as I would like that I find in the other packs.

I really like all the overheads/hi hats, and especially cymbals from Jim Scott's pack, especially Kit 6 in Volume 1. I think that's played by Chad Smith? I am not overly familiar with Jim Scott's volume of work but I like his recorded cymbal sounds. I hear you on those kits sounding a bit slick and I agree but happen to really fancy the cymbals.

Not familiar with the Manic Love packs. Need to check out. Rock Legends I definitely need to check out.

On the Deluxe kit, I mostly like the snare sounds. It's weird. I don't think there's anything really that special about them, I just kind of like the sound and seem kind of earthy and natural sounding.

I guess when I think of drum sounds I love, most of my favorite drum productions are from Barresi and Brendan O'Brien (I love the drum sounds not necessarily his entire mixes) and his team. I think of Matt Cameron's Soundgarden stuff and the Audioslave stuff as great references. They sound kind of dirty and natural versus some of the overprocessed modern stuff I hear today and I like their snare sounds in particular. But I gotta love Joe B's kicks and toms for sure! Is it just me or does the snare really help define the overall sound of the song?

Anyways, I'm finding more and more that I like natural drum sounds with a bit of character versus super processed and that's why I am going around to BFD.

Fantastic post as usual! If you have any further comments or whims, please feel free to post more as I am still learning a lot and appreciate all your insights!

Thanks,

AC

I'm happy to help. I have a lot of BFD content and just love the platform, so I'm more than happy to talk about it and help out where I can.

Found this thread doing a search on BFD expansions, and enjoyed the short but v insightful dialogue above. Thank you both.

I just bought the percussion kit half price as a christmas prezzie, and have to say I love it so far.

There are lots perc kits available for Kontakt, but I wanted something I could integrate with bfd, and experimentally mix & match (which bfd excels in), which is great for the acoustic or part acoustic music which I like, maybe with guitars, mandolins, whistles, accordions etc (david crosby called it wooden music :tu: )

A nice soft kick gives a good thudding pulse, with a soft snare as well, and maybe some ethnic drums instead of "high hats", and swap out toms and cymbals for other perc pieces - to taste.

There are some great "ringing tin" sounds which replace ride.

I'm by no means an expert, but using bfd perc pieces as experimental alternatives to "regular" drum pieces, backed by soft kick/snare is interesting and creates a good mood, with plenty of drive, and room for solo rolls and similar.

I know nothing about playing ethnic percussion, but I can still get a cool sound with just the little I do know.

Thanks for the thread, guys. Inspiring :)

kevvvvv
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote:Found this thread doing a search on BFD expansions, and enjoyed the short but v insightful dialogue above. Thank you both.

I just bought the percussion kit half price as a christmas prezzie, and have to say I love it so far.
If you like that you should give Swan Percussion a go. It''s a mere £20 at the mo and I think well worth the money.

Mr Arkadin

How do you use Swan Perc?

I've seen it, like the price.

kevvvvv
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

kevvvvv wrote:Mr Arkadin

How do you use Swan Perc?

I've seen it, like the price.

kevvvvv
When you say 'how do you use it?' do you mean stylistically, technically or something else?

Another one I always overlooked (but a bit more at £60 - still half price though) is Zildjian Vault Vol.2 which actually has a lot more interesting percussion than just cymbals. Have a listen to the demos. Still debating whether to get that one.

Joe Barresi is the only one I've ever needed. Would like to get the 8 bit kit but never found a deal that fit with my perception of just how often I would use it. Really like the sound and idea behind it though.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Joe Barresi?

Will take another listen.

thanx

Can't find joe barresi in bfd search. am i missing something?

Return to “Instruments”