Cubase 9.5.10 - cannot process any audio!

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

SJ_Digriz wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:
kind of using a backhoe to plant a daisy.. just sayin :lol:
I felt like using one on the pc. :D

Both Sonar and Reason use my E drive with no problem.
Cubase has no problem reading and writing to that drive - it just won't let me edit the audio (warping and pitchshifting worked ok though).

If I have definitely found a solution in using C and nothing else is suggested that makes E viable I'll just shift some files to the E drive and create a link. Cubase has 12 gigs (maybe more) in a "Roaming" folder on the C drive that was moved to the E drive on my previous install. I left it on C this install to see if I had buggered something up but it made no difference.

I'm still at a loss as to why the metronome is inaudible on the demo project I cannibalized and why using a Cubase template ignores my audio even though the inputs are set to my interface.

Grum.

Grumbleweed wrote:Both Sonar and Reason use my E drive with no problem.
Cubase has no problem reading and writing to that drive - it just won't let me edit the audio (warping and pitchshifting worked ok though).

If I have definitely found a solution in using C and nothing else is suggested that makes E viable I'll just shift some files to the E drive and create a link. Cubase has 12 gigs (maybe more) in a "Roaming" folder on the C drive that was moved to the E drive on my previous install. I left it on C this install to see if I had buggered something up but it made no difference.

I'm still at a loss as to why the metronome is inaudible on the demo project I cannibalized and why using a Cubase template ignores my audio even though the inputs are set to my interface.

Grum.
Things that happend to me is - having moved stuff from a backup like CD in the days - everything copied to hdd gets read-only attribute by default - since it was on other media that was read-only - attribute goes with it.

Might be a clue to what is happening - a folder you work in is read-only???

So just have a look in base folder and see to that everything is read-write.

lfm wrote:
Grumbleweed wrote:Both Sonar and Reason use my E drive with no problem.

Grum.
Things that happend to me is - having moved stuff from a backup like CD in the days - everything copied to hdd gets read-only attribute by default - since it was on other media that was read-only - attribute goes with it.

Might be a clue to what is happening - a folder you work in is read-only???

So just have a look in base folder and see to that everything is read-write.
I'll have another play tomorrow - I went to bed at stupid o'clock this morning after losing the fight I was having with my pc and I'm knackered now.

I need a new pc :(

check also if Cubase is running as Administrator mode or not and try experimenting with that.

trancema wrote:check also if Cubase is running as Administrator mode or not and try experimenting with that.
I have experimented with just about every permission that is available on a PC and still it keeps on fighting me. C drive = great, E drive = failure.
I don't understand why Cubase is picking on me - it shouldn't be this hard to run and use a DAW http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/posting.p ... &p=6957689#

This is the current situation:

If I set the default file location for saving projects to a folder on my E drive, create a new project, record some audio, try to reverse it, it won't work. This is before anything is saved - it's a brand new, untitled project.

If I change the default folder to one on my C drive do the exact same thing the audio reverses like it should.

If I save the one that works onto my E drive location and open it - it works!

If I close Cubase having changed to default project location to the E drive, open it and open my project that worked before it still works.

If I create a new project (still with the E location) it won't work but re-opening the one that worked still works.

Figure that out.

Grum.

Googly Smythe wrote:I had a problem with Cubase/Windows 10 recently - I couldn't save anything, no projects, no presets, no nothing. No problems before hand, just turned the pc on one morning, and this.
Did all the usual. Even checked to see if permissions had been changed, somehow. Nothing worked.
But...
Then I noticed that no other programs could save - not Notepad, my video editor, my image editor, nothing.
Gave up after 3 days and re-installed the whole caboodle. Actually went back to Win 7. (Yeah, I know, luddite!)
But about 6 months ago I had a different problem with Win 10. The Start menu disappeared. The only programs I could access were the ones pinned to the Taskbar.
Another re-install. :dog:
Just sayin'.
I do not know if you are aware of this, but if you start to have problems with the OS, you might try using CHKDSK and/or SCANNOW commands. These have helped me many times from re-installing, once even when the PC wouldn't boot.

Cakewalk Sonar to the rescue!!!!!
It appears the solution to my problem is to create a Cubase Projects folder within my existing Cakewalk Projects folder.
Everything now works. It has to be about Admin rights - if I look at the security tab of the Cakewalk Projects Properties the edit button has the admin shield on it - there isn't one on anything to do with Cubase and nothing I have done can get it there.

Grum.

JJ_Jettflow wrote:
Googly Smythe wrote:I had a problem with Cubase/Windows 10 recently - I couldn't save anything, no projects, no presets, no nothing. No problems before hand, just turned the pc on one morning, and this.
Did all the usual. Even checked to see if permissions had been changed, somehow. Nothing worked.
But...
Then I noticed that no other programs could save - not Notepad, my video editor, my image editor, nothing.
Gave up after 3 days and re-installed the whole caboodle. Actually went back to Win 7. (Yeah, I know, luddite!)
But about 6 months ago I had a different problem with Win 10. The Start menu disappeared. The only programs I could access were the ones pinned to the Taskbar.
Just sayin'.
I do not know if you are aware of this, but if you start to have problems with the OS, you might try using CHKDSK and/or SCANNOW commands. These have helped me many times from re-installing, once even when the PC wouldn't boot.
I shall bear this in mind next time - 'cos you know there will be. :D :tu:

Grumbleweed wrote:Cakewalk Sonar to the rescue!!!!!
It appears the solution to my problem is to create a Cubase Projects folder within my existing Cakewalk Projects folder.
Everything now works. It has to be about Admin rights - if I look at the security tab of the Cakewalk Projects Properties the edit button has the admin shield on it - there isn't one on anything to do with Cubase and nothing I have done can get it there.

Grum.
It's tricky to understand how one subfolder inherit rights from parent - and in some case root folders are considered different handling. And moving things into a restricted folder even more so. Other than OS drives usually are full rights - so really weird thing you ran into.

Might even be some antivirus thingy - thinking this root folder is to be treated with all restrictions - if you use that.

Also depending if you login as anything but a user not being part of admin usergroup - is one thing to consider. Also turning up UAC(user account control) so you get a warning when trying to write to locations restricted. Some odd plugins seem to require that to be turned off not to cause authetication problems etc - even running daws as admins etc.

And the already suggested chkdisk is not a bad idea. I've had disk errors that turned folders into files - and strange stuff like that - making all sort of mishaps.

Googly Smythe wrote:
JJ_Jettflow wrote:
But...
Just sayin'.

I shall bear this in mind next time - 'cos you know there will be. :D :tu:
Amen, brother! Despite my efforts, I just did a clean install about a week ago. :ud:

Grumbleweed wrote:Cakewalk Sonar to the rescue!!!!!

Grum.
This might help...
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows ... -in-vista/

I am the only user of this pc so user rights should be straightforward. At least I have a solution but I’d like to have a bit more control of my own computer.
Thanks to those who have given thoughts and contributed to this thread :clap:

Grum

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”