Which is more important in a DAW, REX support or that it runs on Linux?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion

Which is more important in a DAW, REX support or that it runs on Linux?

REX support is more important
30%
Linux support is more important
70%

Total votes: 50

RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
imrae wrote:Rex support can be added with plugins, Linux support can't.

Also, Linux support is your fallback to ensure you can still make music when Apple and/or MS go truly off the deep end. We're already seeing it with Apple's limited selection of pro hardware and MS baking adverts into the OS...
Funny thing is that something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint is much more prone to go "offline" than both Windows and MacOS.
I think you miss the point that it's less catastrophic if they do. The community has the code, and would maintain it during a migration back to Debian if that happened.

When MS ends support for an architecture, that's it. The only way to keep it going is reverse-engineering, and they don'texactly make that easy.

So what exactly is your clue that this will happen anytime soon?

Comparing an entire daw to a file format ? That's like comparing a mountain bike to a pram.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

THE INTRANCER wrote:Comparing an entire daw to a file format ? That's like comparing a mountain bike to a pram.
I've never heard the word 'pram' before. So I looked it up, and now I know a new word!

This thread is awesome! :tu:

imrae wrote:Also, Linux support is your fallback to ensure you can still make music when Apple and/or MS go truly off the deep end. We're already seeing it with Apple's limited selection of pro hardware and MS baking adverts into the OS...
+10000

I'm starting to get pretty pissed off with Win 10 right now and the only reason I'm keeping it is because of gaming. The Linux support is one of the reason I'm with Bitwig and u-he plugins (main is being they're best of their category).

Robert Randolph wrote:
THE INTRANCER wrote:Comparing an entire daw to a file format ? That's like comparing a mountain bike to a pram.
I've never heard the word 'pram' before. So I looked it up, and now I know a new word!

This thread is awesome! :tu:
Me too! :tu:

There isn't a single valid reason to suffer Linux for pro audio, so why should developers increase their costs and hurt their musician users just to entertain a handful of delusional OS hobbyists?

.jon wrote:There isn't a single valid reason to suffer Linux for pro audio, so why should developers increase their costs and hurt their musician users just to entertain a handful of delusional OS hobbyists?
Plugin world domination. Image
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

braj wrote:I vote for C.
This.

You need to add another question there:

"Neither, there are other more import features to consider"

Thanx in advance if added. :wink:

I run Linux Mint 18 as a secondary operating system on a separate hard drive, for programs such as Cinema 4D, it's a perfectly workable platform without memory restrictions that were imposed with different versions of Windows 7. For music production there are some options when it comes to applications. Ardour & Mixbuss, FL Studio, Renoise, Reaper, and even Reason (v5 and below with Wine & Winetricks) will work providing Rewire isn't involved. Rex file playback isn't an issue on Linux with Reason. Qtraktor and DaVinci Resolve 14.2 Studio are to other alternative music apps.

If my current daw ( Studio One 3.5 ) and all my plugin's supported Linux, I'd switch, however my plugin's include those of which are Reaktor 6 based, and Reaktor is not stable. FL Studio has also proven to be unstable on Linux also in my experience.

I chose not to upgrade to Windows 10, I didn't want to sacrifice the stable platform I have and feel like I'm on a constant beta, be continually spied on and needing to resort to measures to try and prevent that whilst dealing with compulsory updates that have the possibility of screwing my system over.

I might be restricted to 16 gigs of ram, but I've honestly never ran out of ram for anything I've ever created, but if I do, I have options on Linux, should I ever need it. :)
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

slipstick wrote:Yep, both are equally unimportant.

Steve
:hihi:

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”