One Synth Challenge #101: Spiral Generator (Taron Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Cheers.

I would like Modelonia V2 please.
I'll also take the kind offer of a secondary Ridan soundset, if I've read that right :) Dark Prairie for Serum please.

Spotify all good here also, thanks Rob.

I responded to Brian via e-mail a few days ago, no response yet.

Just playing with some new jerobeam algorithms and I'm blown away at the potential for awesome synth sounds. We gotta do another <insert algorithm> generator OSC. Next time around the synth will be very mature. I think Spiral Generator is great, Radar, Torus, Boing, these are even better, easier to use, more flexible, no tuning problems. Anything-to-Anything modulation, Self-modulation, Feedback-modulation, it's going to be insane. Hopefully better ADSRs, better GUI, complete set of presets.

The only thing is these will be for-pay synths. Is there a One-Synth-Challenge policy on no for-pay synths? I don't mind giving free licenses to anyone who enters (whoever says "hey, I'm entering osc, need license!" gets a free license). Is OSC free-synth only? If push comes to shove maybe I could do another free synth.

Architeuthis wrote:Just playing with some new jerobeam algorithms and I'm blown away at the potential for awesome synth sounds. We gotta do another <insert algorithm> generator OSC. Next time around the synth will be very mature. I think Spiral Generator is great, Radar, Torus, Boing, these are even better, easier to use, more flexible, no tuning problems. Anything-to-Anything modulation, Self-modulation, Feedback-modulation, it's going to be insane. Hopefully better ADSRs, better GUI, complete set of presets.

The only thing is these will be for-pay synths. Is there a One-Synth-Challenge policy on no for-pay synths? I don't mind giving free licenses to anyone who enters (whoever says "hey, I'm entering osc, need license!" gets a free license). Is OSC free-synth only? If push comes to shove maybe I could do another free synth.
The better thread would be the OSC general discussion, I can't locate at the moment. So I would suggest starting a conversation on there.
There has been paid plugs previously, by u-he and linplug spectral, so a new osc with one of your synths shouldn't be a big issue.

Regards
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

Cool. You haven't heard the last of me! I shall return.

Using these submissions for the OSC101 highlights for Spiral Generator page. I edited / mastered / shortened many of the pieces to make it work and sound better together... and removed a LOT of harsh high frequency tones... don't want to name any names... *cough* Taron...Loris...dsg and tenuousjohn...Local Man...Zarf... especially Zarf... omg... that mix is insanely harsh! jeezmus... :scared: but I liked Zarf's quirky funny beat just enough to make an acceptable mix out of it.

Edit: But you know what I blame myself, Spiral Generator needs a built in EQ desperately. :lol:

https://hearthis.at/soundemote/spiral-g ... ighlights/

01 Taron - AmenToTheSting.mp3
03 J.Ruegg - Resilence.mp3
04 zarf - sheep 101.mp3
07 Loris - First Impact.mp3
09 mehum - Basemental Vertigo.mp3
11 asi4 - Sometimes Spirals Can Hurt.mp3
12 Mechanought - Fugue-Cannon.mp3
13 bh9090 - Fractured Mechanics.mp3
14 eraze the borders - IYAGTHKG.mp3
18 Programator2 - Lurking Spiral.mp3
20 Armagibbon - Architeuthis' Swirly Glasses Mix.mp3
21 Eauson - Movement Conspiracy.mp3
23 Local Man - Spirit Machine.mp3
24 dsg and tenuousjohn -amnt.mp3

Thanks, Archi! I'm not sure what monitoring system you're using, but I think you snapped the *cough* balls off of the songs a little bit. When I listen to my track on soundcloud, it's quite open and airy, crisp and not painful or scary in any way. In your mix it rather sounds muffled, missing a good part of its air. I don't think it was that song, where I had a pretty scary high frequency peak...neh, that was in my Nabla track back then. SO...meh...I'm not too thrilled with the skinning. :shrug: BUT it's still fine, of course, and you do seem to be quite certain and apparently happy?! That's what it's all about! :tu:

muffled > harsh (by harsh I mean noticeable peaks in the high frequency)

I don't have a good setup here (so I can't mix very effectively), actually, I'm also uploading a new mix in a sec. But yeah, I'll go for muffled.

hmm... taron... oh... I just checked what I did to your piece. I didn't change much, I lowered the high frequencies a bit, AND I got rid of some high frequency peaks with FFT multiband compression, so it will sound a bit more muffled.

just for fun, A/B, yours/mine (new mix, not uploaded yet): http://www.elanhickler.com/transfer/OSC ... 20only.mp3

Edit: Ok, here's another attempt:
http://www.elanhickler.com/transfer/OSC ... 0only2.mp3

Ah, that's seems to sound perfect! :o ...Hmmm, I'm so afraid I could fall for a trick, hahaha, but it does seem really nice! Great job! Thanks for looking into it again! :tu:

In my infinite wisdom I have lost the exact plugin version that goes with this project.

Does anyone have an old copy of Spiral Generator from all these years ago?

The plugin file would have been called 'Spiral Generator 2 (x64).dll'

edit: well frik, nevrmind. I renamed Spiral Generator 2 to Little Spiral Generator. All good! :tu:

Return to “Instruments”