Fathom Synth Development Thread

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Fathom Synth

Fathom 2.3 will not show up in my Reaper 5.7 x64 Win10 x64 system.
Extracts from zip fine.
I delete previous Fathom folder (2.2) in my vst instruments folder.
I copy the new (2.3) folder into my instruments vst folder.
This is how I have done every update, always worked.
However on 2.3 I can see Reaper on startup hang a bit when scanning the 32 bit Fathom dll.
But neither the the 32bit or 64bit appear in either instruments or effects.
I deleted and re copied the Fathom 2.3 folder and deleted the 32 bit dll before launching Reaper.
2.3 Fathom still did not show up.
Deleted the 2.3 folder and recopied the previously working well Fathom 2.2 folder.
Reaper picked it up just fine and shows up under both New and Instruments section.

Anything else I should try?
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

FathomSynth wrote: RPH, Hi, I guess you saw I put your delete confirmation in there now.
Hey Everett, yes indeed. Many thanks for that!

Frostline, sounds your Reaper preferred the MT build.

Try going here:
www.fathomsynth.com/updates

And downloading the Windows MT build.

Also, would not hurt to read the Alternate Builds comment there so you understand why I had to change to the MD build.

Then replace those DLL's into the 2.3 folder and try the Reaper scan again.

Before you do this though, its very important to do a fresh scan with no Fathom DLL's of any kind present in order to force Reaper to clear any record of old Fathom DLL's. So before you download the MT build, remove all Fathom DLL's of any kind from your system. Then do a fresh scan with Reaper so no Fathom's show up at all. Then keep the 2.3 preset folder, delete the DLL's and drop in the downloaded MT build DLL's and redo the Reaper scan.

That should work.

FathomSynth wrote:Frostline, sounds your Reaper preferred the MT build.
That should work.
I apologize for not seeing that information on the download page previously. I usually scroll down on the web page to the download link and scroll no further. Probably because it has always worked just fine previously.

Yes the 2.3 MT build does work in Reaper 5.7.

Seems ironic to have a host validation fix break validation on an up to date modern OS though. This issue would make more sense to me had I been using an old version of say windows 7.

Also seems odd to have dependencies for the program that the standard distribution of an OS does not include.

Is this an issue of Windows 10 Home vs Pro? My current system has the Home version.

Will there be a list of the necessary .dlls/libraries the user can attempt to have on their system so the user will not need to download two separate zips and combine them each time an update takes place? Or would it be possible in future releases to have the alternate builds include the program and waves folders (if they have changed from previous builds) so the user only need to download and unlock one zip?

Thank you for the quick response so I could get 2.3 working. Your support has always been top notch in my experience so far.
Win10 x64, Reaper 6.XX x64, i5-3330, 8gb ram, GTX-970, UC-33, Panorama P4, Wharfedale Diamond 8.2 and JVC HA-RX700

Frostline,

Yes, I admit its odd. But I know in the long run the MD build is better for most deployments because I always had exceptions with the MT build in Ableton on Windows 7 which is practically the most stable combination of host and windows to ever exist. The MD build has no exceptions on that and it also fixed validation for many other customers.

But funny you should ask, I actually just created my first Windows 10 partition and I do plan on making a pure Windows 10 build in the near future, which would probably be the ideal build for your system.

I initially did not put the preset folders in the MT download since I thought people would prefer a faster download, but if you want I can in the future make that download a complete download with the preset folders in it.

In terms of a list of required windows DLL's I'm not planning that since there would be no way to know all the possible Windows DLL's an application touches, however if you can find a good Stack Overflow post or some article which says how to do that, I might give it a shot.

FathomSynth wrote:
I initially did not put the preset folders in the MT download since I thought people would prefer a faster download, but if you want I can in the future make that download a complete download with the preset folders in it.
I would prefer that the presets be included in the MT builds.
Because as it is now I would need to download the MD build in addition to the MT build just to get any new presets which really doesn't make the total download faster for me, more the opposite really.
Or perhaps make the presets/waves a 3rd download and the other two just have the .dlls. Folks who don't care about presets could just grab the most up to date .dlls that work for their system (MD or MT). And if presets hadn't changed then the total download would be faster for everyone since they wouldn't have to download items they already have.

FathomSynth wrote:I initially did not put the preset folders in the MT download since I thought people would prefer a faster download
:idea: Assuming that the presets are the same for all downloadable distributions of the Fathom plug-in (including the mono version), I was wondering if the preset files should just be refactored into a separate download bundle moving forward.

I generally download and install both the 64-bit paid polyphonic and free mono versions of Fathom; I found the inclusion of the preset files in every download bundle to be unnecessarily redundant (and wasteful of disk space and CPU cycles).

If the Fathom preset files have not changed (or been added to) for an update (i.e. only the plug-in binary files have been updated), then it would be beneficial to have the option to skip the download of the presets bundle file altogether.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

Frostline wrote:Or perhaps make the presets/waves a 3rd download and the other two just have the .dlls. Folks who don't care about presets could just grab the most up to date .dlls that work for their system (MD or MT). And if presets hadn't changed then the total download would be faster for everyone since they wouldn't have to download items they already have.
+1

Not sure how I missed this post when I replied earlier.
[Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Win11 x64 | Studio One 6 Pro | FL Studio ASIO/WASAPI ]

I find myself liking the logic here. Giving people more power of exactly what they download for updates.

One basic premise that should be retained is that first time buyers should be given everything since they should really be given all the presets even if they think they don't want presets.

So how about the following strategy.

1. First time buyers get everything.

2. Update Downloads choose from the following:

A. Various builds with plugin files only.
Mac, Win 32, 64, MD, MT etc.
B. All Presets and Waveforms current state.
C. Presets and Waveforms latest "Hot" new updates only.

I find myself liking the logic here. Giving people more power of exactly what they download for updates.

One basic premise that should be retained is that first time buyers should be given everything since they should have all the presets even if they think they don't generally like presets.

So how about the following strategy.

2. Update Downloads choose from the following individual items:

A. Various builds (plugin files only) Mac, Win 32, 64, MD, MT etc.
B. Presets and Waveforms Full Set.
C. Presets and Waveforms Latest Additions Only.

The reason I added the last one is that some of my latest presets that start with 1973, 2001 etc, are a huge improvement over most of the Retro presets, and updaters may want just these without having to preview through all 200 presets, to see what has improved.

FathomSynth wrote:So how about the following strategy.

2. Update Downloads choose from the following individual items:

A. Various builds (plugin files only) Mac, Win 32, 64, MD, MT etc.
B. Presets and Waveforms Full Set.
C. Presets and Waveforms Latest Additions Only.
Sounds good to me! I hope you have a way to automate the creation of these various download bundles; otherwise it sounds like it may be a chore to maintain.

All the Windows builds are automated including zipping up the downloads.
Visual Studio has a cool batch build feature.
The Mac OSX builds are all manual.

Thank you for the delete confirmation feature. Works great.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

No problem, I'm glad it's useful (actually I find myself using it also).

SM, RPH, You may also notice that when you move the modulation amount now the minimum and maximum values of the modulation range are now displayed on the target dial.

:
FathomSynth wrote:No problem, I'm glad it's useful (actually I find myself using it also).

SM, RPH, You may also notice that when you move the modulation amount now the minimum and maximum values of the modulation range are now displayed on the target dial.
:tu:
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

Return to “Instruments”