Tokyo Rain - Retrowave/synthwave done old-school with 80s synths, samplers and drum machines

Share your music, collaborate, and partake in monthly music contests.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

https://soundcloud.com/espenkraft/tokyo-rain

The recording is all done with a variety of old 80s hardware synths, samplers and drum machines.
Roland Juno 6 for bass, D-50 for percussion and chorales. Yamaha TX802 for even more percussion.
The Roland TR-626 and Akai S1000 delivers drums while the Roland JX-8P delivers all pads and strings. Add a Telecaster guitar and some own samples of rain and thunder and you have it.
The awesome reverb is done with the help of Strymon BlueSky at full throttle.

I wanted to make a retro synthwave track with an "impossible love" angle between a foreign visitor to Tokyo (maybe a sportsman) and a japanese girl. Some faint hints of eastern music seeps through here and there.

This is very well done, with a solid arrangement, lovely choice of sounds and well mixed overall (and particular with that Strymon reverb as you say).

If I had any criticisms, I think there's a couple of times where the male voice gets lost in volume (in mid song) when other instruments are playing, so it might be worth rechecking that.
Also, it's probably not something you're going to change/add to this song now, as it's finished, but I'd probably advise slip in a couple (more) passing notes or extra non-harmonic fleeting moments later in the track, as to my taste the song sounds very beautiful but perhaps a bit too sweet.

Out of curiosity, where did you find the spoken parts by the female, and also the female ''ahh'' sounds?

I was a teacher in Japan from 2011-2015, so it certainly struck a chord.
Good work.

dark water wrote:This is very well done, with a solid arrangement, lovely choice of sounds and well mixed overall (and particular with that Strymon reverb as you say).

If I had any criticisms, I think there's a couple of times where the male voice gets lost in volume (in mid song) when other instruments are playing, so it might be worth rechecking that.
Also, it's probably not something you're going to change/add to this song now, as it's finished, but I'd probably advise slip in a couple (more) passing notes or extra non-harmonic fleeting moments later in the track, as to my taste the song sounds very beautiful but perhaps a bit too sweet.

Out of curiosity, where did you find the spoken parts by the female, and also the female ''ahh'' sounds?

I was a teacher in Japan from 2011-2015, so it certainly struck a chord.
Good work.
Hey! Thanks for the detailed feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to address that!

I know I have a knack for being TOO sweet. I love sugar :P If you care to listen to more of my material on my Soundcloud, Youtube etc, you'll find I do have more tention in other tracks, but I get your point :)

As for the spoken words, they are spoken by Caroline Johansen who also sings the phrase "sayonara" at the end. She's an japanese addict and speaks japanese. What I did was I wrote in english what I wanted and she translated it to japanese in the best way possible and then recorded it in the studio. So it's an all original music/words by me.

Thanks! :)

Compliments for the authentic and full sound. Nice track with good songwriting. Good work!
Greetings
HM

elkanah77 wrote:
Hey! Thanks for the detailed feedback, I appreciate you taking the time to address that!

I know I have a knack for being TOO sweet. I love sugar :P If you care to listen to more of my material on my Soundcloud, Youtube etc, you'll find I do have more tention in other tracks, but I get your point :)

As for the spoken words, they are spoken by Caroline Johansen who also sings the phrase "sayonara" at the end. She's an japanese addict and speaks japanese. What I did was I wrote in english what I wanted and she translated it to japanese in the best way possible and then recorded it in the studio. So it's an all original music/words by me.

Thanks! :)
Excellent - some nice tracks on your SC account.
That's also cool about the Japanese speaking woman: good to have all original content in your tunes :phones:

htcnext2 wrote:Compliments for the authentic and full sound. Nice track with good songwriting. Good work!
Greetings
HM
Thank you! :)

Return to “Music Cafe”