Gap In The Market: Powerful Sample Based But Inexpensive Workhorse Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

wagtunes wrote: What's "new?" How far down this rabbit hole with conditions do you want to go?
Just a simple but powerful midrange synth, is all. Something new, perhaps friendly :hihi: user interface, sfz compatbile, high quality (for the price) effects. You know, something decent that has a bright future in terms of development. To me, there's an obvious gap, and I just don't like wavetable synths. :hihi:

EDIT: Obviously too much to ask from KVR Instruments.
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote:
Examigan wrote:I don’t really use it much anymore, but Wusikstation is another one.
Wasn't there some controversy over the developer? Still an old old plugin. I'm talking about something new and in the price range mentioned.
Version 8 was released 2 years ago. The price range is right, I think it’s around $50 now.

Examigan wrote: Version 8 was released 2 years ago. The price range is right, I think it’s around $50 now.
Here is what I said:
You have endless wavetable synths, but not a decent sample based synth in the relatively affordable price range of around $100-$150 range.
Sure, version 8, it's old. I'm talking about something new, in the price range I stated.

You may also want to check out CRX4 even though it is a bit older now, and not developed anymore either.

Examigan wrote:You may also want to check out CRX4 even though it is a bit older now, and not developed anymore either.
Yes, I have checked it out. But thanks.

egbert101 wrote:Sure, version 8, it's old. I'm talking about something new, in the price range I stated.
Version 9 is in beta and I doubt William would object to you buying three copies.

egbert101 wrote:Does it exist? :hihi: No. But it may soon.

You have endless wavetable synths, but not a decent sample based synth in the relatively affordable price range of around $100-$150 range.

The closest thing is Absynth 5, which is pretty ancient and badly needs a GUI update, and is more esoteric than workhorse (although it can be). Then you have Iris 2, which is a bit of a joke, and also badly needs a GUI update and multisample support.

TAL-Sampler is an absolute gem, but is fairly basic and lacks all the bells and whistles from wavetable synths in the price range I mentioned, but it's cheap, so...

EDIT: Before anyone says it, sure Air Structure 2, but it's a tiny GUI and more importantly it's ilok, so a NO GO. :hihi:
ok you want a sampler if i am not wrong with good editing features

disco dsp bliss is one option

reasamplomatic5000(reaper's inbuilt sampler) is a good high-quality sampler even though the GUI is a bit awful

wusikstation v8 is a good sampler (the dev was in a problem/controversy due to the news teller mails he sent even though some were unsubscribed otherwise still a good guy)

and i think 112db has its own sampler dont remember its name but it has one never used it though
Win 10 x64 with specs enough to run DAW without bouncing any track
KZ IEM,32-bit 384Khz dac running at 32bit 48Khz
mainly use REAPER, MTotalbundle, Unfiltered Audio TRIAD and LION, NI classic collection,......... ETC

Apratim wrote: ok you want a sampler if i am not wrong with good editing features
No no, read my original post. Sample-based synthesizer, not sampler. And it's not about what I want, it's an attempt to point out the obvious gap in the market. Also, this thread isn't about proving me wrong, like it's some kind of competition!

egbert101 wrote:
Apratim wrote: ok you want a sampler if i am not wrong with good editing features
No no, read my original post. Sample-based synthesizer, not sampler. And it's not about what I want, it's an attempt to point out the obvious gap in the market. Also, this thread isn't about proving me wrong, like it's some kind of competition!
Okay, so you basically want something either like

Falcon
Avenger
Rapid

But priced between $100 and $150.

What, in those synths, would you be willing to live without in order to bring the synth down to that price range?

wagtunes wrote: Okay, so you basically want something either like

Falcon
Avenger
Rapid

What, in those synths, would you be willing to live without in order to bring the synth down to that price range?
Sure, but without wavetables. In fact, Hexeract came closest recently to something interesting, too bad that it failed to deliver on user samples. Also, something like Sugar Bytes Factory but fully sample based not wavetable (or a sample based Aparillo for example). Wavetables wavetables wavetables! Argghhhh!

here is the moon you asked for...

"but, its not on a stick"

egbert101 wrote:
wagtunes wrote: Okay, so you basically want something either like

Falcon
Avenger
Rapid

Sure, but without wavetables. In fact, Hexeract came closest recently to something interesting, too bad that it failed to deliver on user samples. Also, something like Sugar Bytes Factory but fully sample based not wavetable (or a sample based Aparillo for example). Wavetables wavetables wavetables! Argghhhh!
Okay, let me see if I got this.

You don't want a synth that incorporates wavetables in any way.

You want a synth with top notch FX and lots of them.

You want a synth that is totally sample based.

You want a synth with lots of synth features such as filters, LFOs, mod matrix, several envelopes, maybe even a few MSEGs...

And...relatively new

And between $100 and $150.

Let me go look at what I have right now that fits your criteria regardless of the price.

Checking...

Checking......

Checking..........

Nothing.

Okay, so first we have to get some company to come out with ANY sample based synth that meets all your criteria at ANY price range and then we can maybe talk them into providing a stripped down version between $100 and $150.

wagtunes wrote: Okay, so first we have to get some company to come out with ANY sample based synth that meets all your criteria at ANY price range and then we can maybe talk them into providing a stripped down version between $100 and $150.
It doesn't have to be stripped down. Sample synthesis is relatively easy to begin with. TAL can do it for £50. The guys did at Addict did it for $200$100.

Effects can be midrange, so perhaps just like any other midrange synth with a list of good quality effects.

Only obstacle I see is sample library. Here is where Omnisphere and others start to get ridiculous. The higher the quality sample library, etc., the bigger the cost.

But, a good way into it is to just add sample libraries as expansions, so if you want volume 1, you pay an extra $100 etc. So you have some choice on what samples you want.

Also, it's not about what I want, it's about the gap in the market, for something decent that isn't ridiculously expensive like Omnisphere, Falcon, and so on. A decent modern sample-based synthesizer that isn't yet another wavetable clone.

BTW: Tone 2 Electra 2 MIGHT fit the criteria I mentioned, apart from the price, which looks again to be overly expensive.
Last edited by egbert101 on Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

E.g. a cross - platform clone of Alchemy
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote:E.g. a cross - platform clone of Alchemy
Sure: :tu: Bring back Alchemy, or anything like Alchemy!

Return to “Instruments”