roland tr-08 and sh-01a

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

..or it might be a new money tree...

(figures pulled out of my arse)

I imagine it goes something like selling 100,000 digital clones per year for £350 which have a profit margin of £200 each, vs selling 10,000 analogue remakes for £1500 which have a profit margin of £300 each

AnX wrote:I dunno why they dont recreate the originals and add modern features. Full analogue with midi etc etc.

I have no doubt they would sell very well.

All these tiny digital units are a massive fail imo.
Well I think that part of the reason that there is no 1:1 clone of a TR-808 is that Roland actually bought defect chips for the sound generation circuits as they had a special sizzle that the in spec chips did not. I believe that is mentioned in the KVR interview of Ikutaro Kakehashi. I personally dont mind the digital recreations, and think they sound good enough with the exception of the 808 cymbals and hi hats. IMHO the 606 is spot on and the 909 sounds pretty solid as well(but I never really liked the 909 sound)

The form factor though. SOOO tiny. I get frustrated editing my JP-08. I do want the SE01 and SH01 though...

So I have an SH-01A now, Despite what I said about it when I poked at it briefly back at KnobCon :hihi:

I have big sausage fingers and I can use the little sliders just fine. But then I'm used to Eurorack. :) The sliders feel surprisingly precise and I didn't have any trouble fine-tuning the filter frequency to match it to the VCO, for instance. I'm not a big fan of the wheel/mod slider pad things, but I'm playing it from a MIDI keyboard anyway.

I never had the original SH-101, but it's amusing me to compare SH-01A and LuSH-101. Obviously the latter has a lot more features, but when matching patches, to me the SH-01A sounds just a little bit more raw. If I were to listen to A/B examples I doubt I could figure out which is which except in a few cases. In fact even while I was playing them I often got confused.

So the question is, why would I bother with the hardware if I already own the software, and the hardware is also virtual analog? And the answer is, uh... :shrug: :hihi: :D I approach hardware differently. I wind up using it in ways I don't use the software. Some of that is just the simplicity of it demands more of me, and some is the physical interface.

On the hardware, right now I'm fascinated with making the filter self-resonate and having it fight with the VCO just a little, and letting that all ring out polyphonically. In LuSH-101 I usually go for FM, sync, and all the other stuff that isn't strictly SH-101 territory.

Anyway, I traded my 0-Coast for it (and a fair cash difference) and I'm pretty pleased with the trade.

foosnark wrote:So I have an SH-01A now, Despite what I said about it when I poked at it briefly back at KnobCon :hihi:

I have big sausage fingers and I can use the little sliders just fine. But then I'm used to Eurorack. :) The sliders feel surprisingly precise and I didn't have any trouble fine-tuning the filter frequency to match it to the VCO, for instance. I'm not a big fan of the wheel/mod slider pad things, but I'm playing it from a MIDI keyboard anyway.

I never had the original SH-101, but it's amusing me to compare SH-01A and LuSH-101. Obviously the latter has a lot more features, but when matching patches, to me the SH-01A sounds just a little bit more raw. If I were to listen to A/B examples I doubt I could figure out which is which except in a few cases. In fact even while I was playing them I often got confused.

So the question is, why would I bother with the hardware if I already own the software, and the hardware is also virtual analog? And the answer is, uh... :shrug: :hihi: :D I approach hardware differently. I wind up using it in ways I don't use the software. Some of that is just the simplicity of it demands more of me, and some is the physical interface.

On the hardware, right now I'm fascinated with making the filter self-resonate and having it fight with the VCO just a little, and letting that all ring out polyphonically. In LuSH-101 I usually go for FM, sync, and all the other stuff that isn't strictly SH-101 territory.

Anyway, I traded my 0-Coast for it (and a fair cash difference) and I'm pretty pleased with the trade.
Nice. I too have luSH-101 and the sh-01a. I have Roland cloud as well. I figured the Roland cloud and sh-01a would be about the same. I don’t find that to be the case at all. Filters sound very different. It was difficult to do a 1:1 patch comparison as the ui controls are slightly different but I definitely noticed the filters were different. I’m not sure which I like better. LuSh-101 is great but more sh101 like than a clone to me.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”